• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Catching Wild Hogs Live

oughtsix

Latitude 45 bound
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2006
Louisiana
Went with a buddy of mine Saturday hog hunting behind his dogs. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would jump into a chest deep creek after a pissed off 250 pound boar hog. Much less grab his legs and tie him up. It was wild. I'll never use a gun on pigs again. By choice anyway.

The only pics I have are from my phone. But I'll try to bring extra people next time and get someone to hold a video camera.

Anyone else catch them live?

Re: Catching Wild Hogs Live

on thefiringlane theres a member, Hogdogs (hah), who loves to talk about catching hogs with dogs. Chat him up. He posts often in the site's hunting forum.

little secret....live hogs are bought and sold for export all the time...just another part of an underground economy....some parts of the world they are considered a delicacy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oughtsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else catch them live? </div></div>
Yeah, with a trap, and lead to the head, then to the grill!

They do Dale, but nothing that a little lead in the head won't take care of.

LOL, I've hunted them with rifles, shotguns, trucks, and all of those at the same time before. I agree that one of the funnest and "biggest rush" ways of catching them is live. I've done it catch and bay dogs, where we hog tied them and took them off to be sold. LOL, good times. Make sure that you keep that head held down tight, or you'll find out real soon how sharp those tusks are.

It was amazing how much control we had once we had his legs. especially in the water, the hardest part was not drowning him. I just bought an 82 bronco with an IOU for deer and hog meat this winter. So I'll be going back every chance I get. The rush is freaking wild....

The only good hog is a dead one, kill the thing before it can spread anymore of it's genes. Did I mention the only good hog is a dead hog?
wink.gif

the only that gives you more adrenaline than flipping a 250 pound pig is flipping a 350 pounder, it gets wild but his fun, i know guy that caught a 500+ lb pig once now the smaller ones just don't do it for him.

Take out the dogs, add spear if your diggn for a true rush. The dogs get wacked to often for my taste, got a tree by the marsh ramp I use, you can't see the bark for the leather dog vests tacked to it honoring the canines killed in our area. Our marsh hogs get into the 4s and sport cutters of 6-8 inches due to the soft soil they are allways rooting in as their is nothing to grind them down. I have often thought of getting some hounds for hogs, but I hate the hogs enough as it is let alone them killn one of my crew. Hell I'd never sleep, I love BBQ.