• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI 41 primers

RetiredChief

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2021
Newport News Va
Normally I use CCI 450 (Mag SRP) and BR-4 for my 6.5 CM. As I was Very Low a friend gave me a box of CCI 41 out of a brick he had just bought. Tried them and found very small difference between the 3. However I did have one failure (out of 60). I received a notice from Brownell that the CCI 41 were back in stock so I ordered a brick. I've used 27 so far - One took 2 tries before igniting, and one I tried 3 time - never fired.

While I wait 2 -> 3 min before opening the chamber, it still leaves me apprehensive. On the range, only effect is on nerves - Because of these failures these will never see the light-of-day deer hunting. Subsequently I have a brick of BR-4 coming Monday.

Not the rifle, as I have NOT had a single failure with older 450's, or BR-4's, or my newly received Fed 210M (LRP). On the failed CCI-41's the indent on the primer looked Normal.

41's have a harder cup to prevent slam-fires, but should ignite normally.

Perhaps you got a bad batch-I would send CCI an email with the lot # inquiring if there have been any issues, as well as clean the firing pin and make sure that your primers are seated to bottom of primer pocket.

Did you try the failed ones a second time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Baddog 0302
What rifle are you using these in?

I've seen more than 1 bighorn/zermatt action have trouble igniting a primer, and there were various reasons why.

In my experience with #41 and #34 primers, I've learned they need to be hit pretty hard, and firing pin protrusion matters.

It is possible you got a bad batch as well. I can count on 1 hand how many bad CCI primers (or any other brand) I've had in my 14 years of reloading.

Reactions: JustSendit
While it's possible that the Primer is not being hit hard enough (Understand that the 41's require being hit harder) the depth of the primer protrusion looks consistent with ones that fired - but then an eyeball check is NOT conclusive.

Quote;"I can count on 1 hand how many bad CCI primers (or any other brand) I've had in my 14 years of reloading." Same-Same, but with 20+ years reloading, in fact so rare, I can not recall if 1, 2, or at most 3 primer failures.

Gun: Low end Savage. PS I do have a rem 768 308 that DOES have a problem with hitting the primer hard enough. I you "Gently" load a round , it will not fire - but will fire 100% if Not so gentle. You can tell - when being gentle, the primer look like a 2 year old hit it - very small dimple.

Normally I use CCI 450 (Mag SRP) and BR-4 for my 6.5 CM. As I was Very Low a friend gave me a box of CCI 41 out of a brick he had just bought. Tried them and found very small difference between the 3. However I did have one failure (out of 60). I received a notice from Brownell that the CCI 41 were back in stock so I ordered a brick. I've used 27 so far - One took 2 tries before igniting, and one I tried 3 time - never fired.

While I wait 2 -> 3 min before opening the chamber, it still leaves me apprehensive. On the range, only effect is on nerves - Because of these failures these will never see the light-of-day deer hunting. Subsequently I have a brick of BR-4 coming Monday.

Not the rifle, as I have NOT had a single failure with older 450's, or BR-4's, or my newly received Fed 210M (LRP). On the failed CCI-41's the indent on the primer looked Normal.
How do you know that it isn't the rifle?

I made a bunch of 223 ammo for my AR using Fiocchi Magnum SR primers. It shot great in my AR but there were several failures to fire in my Remington.

Remington uses a larger diameter firing pin when compared to an AR.

Reactions: 308pirate
I’ve had several 450Ms not go off in my last brick. Maybe 8 of 850. This is a Barnard Palma rifle and the cocking shroud is tight as Dick’s hatband. I suspect, even though I size all my cases at the same time, I have a little extra headspace. If so, a whack with the impact puller and hard seating the bullet should allow these to go off. If not, it’s back to the drawing board BUT I have seen this more with CCI over the last 4-5 years. Never had a 205 or any other primer not go unless I had a FPA issue. Only 450s.

Had the same problem with a Remington 700 .223 and Winchester 41 primers. Would put a nice dent, would not fire on a second try, put same round in the AR and bang. I took the bolt completely apart Factory Remington firing pin was a pitted nasty pos ( 2 year old rifle) ordered the Gre-Tan firing pin and spring ( the new firing pin is beautiful) the rifle now goes bang with the 41 primers every time.

CCI no 34 and 41 hardness is the same the anvil is set back further to prevent slamfires on semiautomatic rifles with floating firing pins. My experience with them on bolt rifles is sometimes they work on one rifle but not another. Maybe its not a hard strike or maybe firing pin does not go far enough dont know . No problems in any AR or M1A or FN FAL i have used.

Reactions: Doom
I shoot #34 and Rem 7-1/2 in a Rem 700s and have only had one primer not go off and I'm sure it wasn't seat. If the primer goes off on the second strike its usually because it wasn't seated correctly and that gets corrected on the first strike.

Check the radius of the firing pin tip.

I had a Tikka in which CCI-450s had a 10-20% failure to fire rate. Long story short, the firing pin tip was cylindrical - essentially no radius at all. After rounding the tip without shortening pin length, I had no more ignition issues as long as I had the rifle.