• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cci 450 vs cci 400

Well yes, and no.
Why does the #41 exists then? I guess the reason is to go the extra mile, just as with crimped primer pockets.

The thought behind this is the reason is that a customer making the order has noticed lack of quality in product (not necessarily with CCI, might be related to another manufacturer) but nonetheless, orders little bit stronger parts and fault mechanisms because it has experiences related to basic tolerances not living up to expectations.

According to this post from this very website, the CCI41 has different anvil geometry than the 450 but is otherwise the same:

I have no idea if that is true--I don't use the 41 primer. I use 450s almost exclusively.

Reactions: 338dude
I'd be more concerned about hang fires. A good friend of mine and I both bought a bunch of surplus powder. He started having hang fires in his rifle. I had 3-4 jugs of the same powder and never had an issue. I found out later he was using regular small primers and not magnum. The issues went away when he used magnum primers. I haven't tested that theory myself as I always use magnum primers with ball powders as the book requires.

I did use 400s in ARs when I didn't know better and never had an issue with extruded powders, but I'm not one to tempt fate. Any round that has been chambered has a dent in the primer.
I have always used extruded in my AR. Never had a hang fire. Definitely agree that there is a dent in the cup on an unfired, extracted 400. Never had one slam fire tho in 1000's. I'll make sure to use 7 1/2's if I ever have to use a ball power for AR loads and will look for more 7 1/2s/ 450's/ 41's when I have to buy as I agree there is no reason to tempt fate. Is there not a dent in 450's when you extract a loaded round?

I have always used extruded in my AR. Never had a hang fire. Definitely agree that there is a dent in the cup on an unfired, extracted 400. Never had one slam fire tho in 1000's. I'll make sure to use 7 1/2's if I ever have to use a ball power for AR loads and will look for more 7 1/2s/ 450's/ 41's when I have to buy as I agree there is no reason to tempt fate. Is there not a dent in 450's when you extract a loaded round?

There is a dent, just not as deep. The cup is thicker. Whether it's thicker enough to make a difference, I don't know. I generally use ball powder in ARs except for with match bullets.