• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI 450 vs. CCI 41 primers

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I've heard these two are essentially the same thing just slight difference in the cup. I use a lot of 450's in a Dasher, 6BRA, and now 6.5 creedmoor. Just wondering if anyone has used the 41's with the same results as the 450's. I found an unopened case of 41's in the back of the closet so I hope they are interchangeable!

Thanks

I’ve used them interchangeably in the past. The 41's and 450’s are essentially the same primer with a slight change in the anvil geometry of the 41’s to make them less sensitive to light strikes, ie. more resistant to slam fires. As always though, it might still be wise to cut back on the charge slightly and work back up when making a component change.

I've used CCI 41s for years interchangeably with CCI 450s EXCEPT in 30 Carbine. The CCI 41s do have a slightly different anvil geometry and they are harder to set off. In 30 Carbine, I was getting about 1 in 5 light strikes which a 2nd strike would not set off. This was in a rifle with a new mainspring and which worked with factory Aguilla and Remington and with my reloads using any other small rifle primer.