• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

CCI SV versus Wolf MT?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Is wolf mt worth twice as much as cci SV? I bought a bunch of Aguila target ammo but it won't cycle my 10/22. The CCI will. Does the Wolf have as much power to cycle the action as the CCI ?

Thanks

Not sure of the right answer to your question, but would add that most "match target" ammo is right around the subsonic velocities; hence the issues of cycling the 10/22. While a radical approach to some, radius'ing the rear bottom of the bolt on a 10/22 does allow smoother functioning, by allowing the bolt to more gradually ride over the hammer when re-cocking the action.

It's been quite a few years since I played heavily in the 10/22 or rimfire arena, so there may be newer innovative ideas that address this issue. This is just what I remember having to do to one or two of my 10/22's that functioned on the more stiff side (some actions required it, some didn't; manufacturing tolerances and combination of parts determined this more than anything else).

JMTCW...

In my experience the Blazer 22 in the 50 round boxes, not the bulk packs, work the best in my 10-22s. Those are stock rifle barrels, nothing special done to the rifle but add a Tec-sight, a sling, and modify the bolt lock so it can be released with a simple pull. That ammo is pretty much back in inventory now and a lot less expensive than the Wolf stuff, less expensive than the CCI SV too. You may want to give it a try.

I would pick wolf or sk over cci every day for single feed bolt guns but in semi autos cci seems to maintain accuracy a little better. Both cycle fine my tacsol 10/22.

From the accuracy standpoint, yeah, Wolf MT is probably twice as good as CCI SV, But that would vary quite a bit depending on whether you've got a lot# of Wolf that your 10/22 bbl likes or not. From what little I know about it, there's a semi-auto class of 22RF BR matches, and guys on BR Central who're shooting tricked-out 10/22s with all the custom parts & barrels, running some of the specialized semi-auto match ammo with no functioning issues. But I have no idea what sort of work they're having done to their 10/22 receivers & bolts to make them reliable with std vel ammo.

between my CZ and 10/22's I keep both stocked. I think my CZ shoots the Wolf better but my 10/22 likes both. For most of my target practice with my 10/22's I'll burn the CCI. I switched from shooting paper at 50 yards to steel targets at 50, 75, 100 yards. Largest target is 2" at 100 and smallest is 1/8" at 50. When I do this I'm not frustrated with group size just hitting the target and it has been more productive practice.

Reactions: Magicsquirreleraser
    Yeah I don't know why my 10/22 will cycle Remington subsonics and CCI SV fine but the Aguila stuff ftf/fte/sp etc. Good thing I bought 10k of it. Should be able to shoot my 77/22 for a long time now lol.

Tell you what, I think I have a few boxes of Wolf MT sitting around. If I can, I'll go put a box of 50 on paper at 200 on Monday. I just did a periodic metric for this barrel on Sunday with CCI 0035, with the same 50 rounds.

We'll see what we see. The rifle is mostly 'pretty decent'.

I have used both extensively in my 3 10/22s. I would choose the Wolf (SK rifle match) every time. I have no feeding problems but all my bolts have been radius'ed (by me). Just yesterday I shot 100 CCI SVs and it was mediocre at best. I have also found the Wolf/Sk ammo is very lot sensitive. Some of cheaper is outstanding but some not so much. Same with Match stuff. For me, the Wolf/Sk is much more consistent and has a lot less flyers than the CCI.

And as well it should be. SK Rifle Match et al. are truly a low end target grade ammo. In some rifles, they shoot like high end.

CCI 0035 is not, nor was ever, a match grade ammo.

But if I could only choose to have a single case of any .22 LR on hand for the rest of my life, it would be 0035. It shoots 'decently' in most everything, and it has been extremely consistent over the decades.

And I will shoot $5 a box SK+ over 4$ a box CCI SV any day in all of my rifles. To each their own. I find SK+ noticeably superior to CCI in all of my rifles.

We have a few Kidd 10/22's and a modified Ruger 10/22. I've tested a bunch of different ammo in all of them, super-sonic and sub-sonic, cheap stuff and the best of Lapua. Never tried Aguila but everything I've tried runs through them all.

In terms of accuracy the CCI SV hangs close to them all but tends to have maybe 5 or 6 flyers per 50 versus the SK Rifle Match has maybe 1 or 2 per 50. That is the biggest difference that I have seen. I'll be getting out with a brick of Wolf Match Extra later this week and try to check back in.

Nooo. Leave that farn mess alone. Them Yurpeens don't know nuthin bout making ammo. Stick with them CCI's, thems good rifle balls.

Them Stangers is real good. Fast too, they get to a hunnerd yards a bunch quicker. Leave them match ammos alone, ain't nuthin but a waste of good likker money.

Leave that farn stuff for them pinko commies ta buy. Buy 'Murican!

Nooo. Leave that farn mess alone. Them Yurpeens don't know nuthin bout making ammo. Stick with them CCI's, thems good rifle balls.

Them Stangers is real good. Fast too, they get to a hunnerd yards a bunch quicker. Leave them match ammos alone, ain't nuthin but a waste of good likker money.

Leave that farn stuff for them pinko commies ta buy. Buy 'Murican!

Thanks for the good info!

FYI velocitors are much better for hunting over subsonic match stuff.

Where are you finding this at? $3.47/box is as cheap as I have found at Walmart. Haven't bought any online.

I haven't bought ammo in person in forever.

Target sports/PSA/Sportsman guide/etc have great deals with free shipping.

When I see it cheap I stack it.

Wolf mt cycles my 10/22 and gives nice groups.
    Worth the price? For plinking, no, target shooting yes.
    Wish I could find it cheaper.

CCI for $2.50 a box is surprisingly consistent and accurate. Fine for plinking use.

Aguila super extra standard velocity is accurate but supersonic in my 16" green mountain/77/22. It does have a tight chamber. Does not cycle my Tac Sol SBX 10/22 though.

Will have to shoot some paper next week. All steel this weekend.

Where are you finding this at? $3.47/box is as cheap as I have found at Walmart. Haven't bought any online.
    Brownells has had the CCI SV for around $0.04 a round shipped for the last couple weeks. Don’t think I’ve seen any in the last week or so though.

Brownells has had the CCI SV for around $0.04 a round shipped for the last couple weeks. Don’t think I’ve seen any in the last week or so though.
    I will look that up, thanks for the heads up.