• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns CCW Imprinting - no big deal?

Conrad101st

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
OK
So after I got my CCL, I used to get real nervous carrying my pistol if the buldge was obvious so I had a small Walther that really was concealed. Then I got to thinking that I really just prefer my Glock 36 with black talons b/c its a 45 ACP.

In Oklahoma, I wear t shirts or short sleeve shirts all summer and its pretty damn obvious I'm packing with the Glock everyday - all day. I figure as long as it's covered, even if a person thinks he knows what's there, it's technically concealed (just like having a chubby in silk pants). So far not one person has mentioned it in two years. Am I asking for some cop to get irritated or is it quite reasonable as John Q. Citizen to carry proudly as long as he technically cannot actually see it.

Re: CCW Imprinting - no big deal?

I don't sweat it. I carry either a 1911 Gov't or a Glock 17 even in the summers here in NC. If it prints, it prints.

A good holster helps a lot though. My favorite is my CompTac Minotar IWB for my 1911. Even in shorts and a t-shirt it hides surprisingly well.

If it's not completely obvious then don't worry about it. The majority of people will not even think twice about seeing a slight bulge on your belt.

Last week at my range that is no open carry friendly nor do they allow drawing from a holster, there was a guy covering his 1911 with a skin tight workout type shirt. That to me was a little on the ridiculous side of "concealing".

I have that problem too even though I know 99.9% of people don't notice or care. I need to get a better holster though.

I'm sporting the t shirt and n82tactical IWB holster with a G-17 on hot NC days +95. Under 95 I wear a t-shirt under a golf shirt for complete concealment and the t shirt under the holster makes it feel like it disappears to me.

"what the f'k, you never seen a guy with a colostomy bag?"

-works every time.

Actually I never sweat it, noone notices. If you are undercover LE it'd be different, but then again you wouldn't be asking about it on the internet if you were.
Almost everyone new to concealed carry freaks out about it, but noone really pays attention.

I ended up going w/ a don hume and a p2000sk at 1 o'Clock. before I was using a Glock 26 in a comp-tac holster. I might try comp-tac for the P2KSK, but it sure does not print at 1. It's a great thin pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"what the f'k, you never seen a guy with a colostomy bag?"

-works every time.
</div></div>

That is a great line!

I carry with a Don Hume open top "high and tight" and it doesn't print at all.

I personally do not like printing. I have several carry guns, the smallest being a Kahr P9 Covert, and I vary between guns and holster depending on what I am wearing. I have an advantage in being 6'3 and 250 or so, but in the summer I regularly carry the Kahr or an M&P Compact under a tee shirt. The key is having shirts that are long enough. Also, I carry IWB exclusively.

Truth be told, I doubt most people would notice if I were carrying under and open jacket, but part of the utility of concealed carry is not being readily identified as armed by the bad guys.

This reminds me of a thread I started on another site when I first started CCW. As a single, guy, I wanted recommendations on how to carry when out with someone who doesn't know I carry. I legitimately wondered about how I could keep the gun hidden if we atarted to get intimate. One guy recommended a fanny pack. I said that a fanny pack would work, but not for the reasons he was thinking: if I wear a fanny pack on the date, my pistol will stay concealed, but I almost certainly will not be getting intimate.

The point is that the gun you want to carry has to fit the specific activity you are doing or outfit you are wearing. A fanny pack or vest may conceal the weapon itself, but it can draw negative attention to you, and not just from bad guys.

I carry a 642 in my pants pocket for years sometimes worried about it printing.

Then last Christmas my stepdaughters boyfriend bought her a little pistol so I took her out back to try it. After a while I desided she needed to work on her trigger so I pulled my 642 out of my pocket to have her dry fire with the CT sights.

Her eyes got big and she asked "when did you start carrying that". My 15 year old granddaughter says "oh mom, he's carried that in his pocket every since I can remember".

I think we worry about printing more then others see it. If my SD whom I see dern near every day doen't notice, I'm not going to worry about strangers.

a folded handkerchief will mask the imprint in the back pocket. Easy and cheap, and you can blow your nose.

+1 on the holster, milt sparks vmII for me. I used to worry about printing, sig p220 carry, now, I do, but if its a little noticeable (the grip) or the bulge from it being at my 4oclock, I dont worry. People dont notice, unless they are really looking. The one major thing, make sure your shirt doesnt come over it, because here in Ca, you could be nailed to the wall for "brandishing" or loc, depending on where you are.

Nice article in the "Blue Press" a month or so ago...recommending cross draw for concealed carry. Several reasons presented...which seem logical. Especially when strapped into a seat belt situation. I don't find any IWB cross draw (dressers) advertised. Might be a good alternative...especially if your love handles conceal your gat handle. JMHO

Depending on where I am going, I don't worry about printing too bad here in Indiana. I just make sure that the cover up is decent and doesn't ride up and expose the holster, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Actually I never sweat it, no one notices. </div></div>

Pretty much it. Like Kraig's story, only kids are perceptive enough (and the right height) to notice.

As long as some far leftist doesn't throw a conniption fit....you'll be good to go

Well, after 10 years of carrying concealed anytime I'm out of the house, and everything from a Glock 22, 1911, to a SIG P226, etc. (and I'm a thin guy), nobody has ever noticed. The longer you carry concealed the more you realize that you are the only person who cares about the fact that you're hiding a gun. Nobody else does. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally do not like printing. I have several carry guns, the smallest being a Kahr P9 Covert, and I vary between guns and holster depending on what I am wearing. I have an advantage in being 6'3 and 250 or so, but in the summer I regularly carry the Kahr or an M&P Compact under a tee shirt. The key is having shirts that are long enough. Also, I carry IWB exclusively.

Truth be told, I doubt most people would notice if I were carrying under and open jacket, but part of the utility of concealed carry is not being readily identified as armed by the bad guys.

This reminds me of a thread I started on another site when I first started CCW. As a single, guy, I wanted recommendations on how to carry when out with someone who doesn't know I carry. I legitimately wondered about how I could keep the gun hidden if we atarted to get intimate. One guy recommended a fanny pack. I said that a fanny pack would work, but not for the reasons he was thinking: if I wear a fanny pack on the date, my pistol will stay concealed, but I almost certainly will not be getting intimate.

The point is that the gun you want to carry has to fit the specific activity you are doing or outfit you are wearing. A fanny pack or vest may conceal the weapon itself, but it can draw negative attention to you, and not just from bad guys.</div></div>

Go pocket carry, and don't worry about it. When things go intimate, it's just another cell phone or wallet in a pocket - nothing need be noticed, and when clothing is discarded, it remains concealed.

Cops, criminals and you are the only people that may typically notice if you are printing.

I regularly carry my G36 in a Raven Phantom, or my G19 in a Kramer IWB #3. Both carry very comfortably, and I've never had any printing problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally do not like printing. I have several carry guns, the smallest being a Kahr P9 Covert, and I vary between guns and holster depending on what I am wearing. I have an advantage in being 6'3 and 250 or so, but in the summer I regularly carry the Kahr or an M&P Compact under a tee shirt. The key is having shirts that are long enough. Also, I carry IWB exclusively.

The point is that the gun you want to carry has to fit the specific activity you are doing or outfit you are wearing. A fanny pack or vest may conceal the weapon itself, but it can draw negative attention to you, and not just from bad guys.</div></div>

Go pocket carry, and don't worry about it. When things go intimate, it's just another cell phone or wallet in a pocket - nothing need be noticed, and when clothing is discarded, it remains concealed. </div></div>

I do not worry about the intimate part. Just because when I was dating one of the first questions I would ask is what is the woman's stance on fire arms. If that person said ok then we can continue on,if she said no then that will be the end of that relationship becouse guns are apart of my life and I will not have a relation ship that will conflict with that. But as far as printing goes, I have been CCing sense I was 21 I am 35 now and pretty much always have carried a G17. Back when I was younger I was scared because I was always told that if I just moved wrong and some one just cot a glimpse of holster or gun or even printing I could get into a lot of trouble. But know with the open carry laws(REFERENCING LAWS OF WA STATE ONLY)I carry concealed but now if some one catches a glimpse or an outline I don't carry.

The two best "Deap Concealment" setup that I have used and are available for your Glock is the Galco SkyOps holster
SKYOPSOV-1-5-4.jpg

and the 511 Holster Shirt coupled with the 511 Conceal Carry shirt.
511tactical%2040011.jpg

100710-CCW-511Covert-Shirt-DrawSZD-2.jpg

The 511 setup is great for in vehicle use and the SkyOps is a great tuckable holster that people can look right out and never know it is there.

Don't forget to get a quality belt though.
You can't go wrong with belts from "The Belt Man".

Most folks never notice because they aren't expecting or looking for a gun on a regular Joe.

I found when I first started carrying that I was FAR more concerned about being "found out" and almost paranoid about it.

After a while you quit thinking about it and realize nobody else is either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a 642 in my pants pocket for years sometimes worried about it printing.

Then last Christmas my stepdaughters boyfriend bought her a little pistol so I took her out back to try it. After a while I desided she needed to work on her trigger so I pulled my 642 out of my pocket to have her dry fire with the CT sights.

Her eyes got big and she asked "when did you start carrying that". My 15 year old granddaughter says "oh mom, he's carried that in his pocket every since I can remember".

I think we worry about printing more then others see it. If my SD whom I see dern near every day doen't notice, I'm not going to worry about strangers. </div></div>

Yep. I hate losing my pocket, but nobody notices and I'm never without a gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two best "Deap Concealment" setup that I have used and are available for your Glock is the Galco SkyOps holster
SKYOPSOV-1-5-4.jpg

and the 511 Holster Shirt coupled with the 511 Conceal Carry shirt.
511tactical%2040011.jpg

100710-CCW-511Covert-Shirt-DrawSZD-2.jpg

The 511 setup is great for in vehicle use and the SkyOps is a great tuckable holster that people can look right out and never know it is there.

Don't forget to get a quality belt though.
You can't go wrong with belts from "The Belt Man". </div></div>

The SkyOps has an awfully flimsy-feeling clip, though, and the single attachment point is quite questionable, IMO. How long have you been wearing it?

The biggest give for me in spotting concealed weapons is the person doing the carrying. Some people spend way to much fiddling or sub consciously touching their weapon everytime the move, they get up at a restaurant and they check it with their elbow etc. Get a good holster that offers the level of security desired and go about your daily activites without thinking of it. People are more distracted than ever with all the electronic crap we carry and the only way its going to get noticed is if you bring attention to it.

That said I carried a full size USP iwb for ten years and never had a stranger notice it. The biggest problem would be my wife putting her arm around my waist or inadvertently lifting my shirt when she was coping a feel.
smile.gif

The more I carry, the more I notice other people carrying. The only people who will notice are cops, criminals and others who ccw.

My wife knew I had taken the CCW class, but not that I had applied for the permit. When I got it in the mail, I didn't tell her about it and just started carrying to see how long it took her to tell. I carried HK P7s, Sig P226 and 1911s from time to time, even a STI 2011 Tactical for a few times (HEAVY) and she didn't know for 3 months of almost continiuos carry- in summertime. That's with Raven's with tuckable loops and a Minatoar with velcro loops.

People carry so much stuff on their belts nowadays, people don't care about black rings on your belt.

I've wondered if my benchmade knife in my right pocket and Novatec light on my left are more of a giveaway than anything else. The light and knife, at least to me, screams 'gun guy'.

I'd like to be totally unnoticed, but its called concealed carry, not invisible carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SkyOps has an awfully flimsy-feeling clip, though, and the single attachment point is quite questionable, IMO. How long have you been wearing it? </div></div>
I've been wearing mine for about three years now and I really like it. (Does require a high quality belt to work properly.)
I works better than it looks.
The second point of contact is where the stock contacts your belt.
My only complaint is that it colapses when the pistol is drawn.

A buddy of mine is starting to make holsters and I'm working with him to make a version of the Milt Sparks IWB except using the Galco Y hooks instead of loops.
VM-2_large.jpg

I don't like the belt loops and like having the tuckable feature that the Y hooks bring to the table.
GIHook.jpg

In this day and age everyone and their brother has a cell phone, pda, etc. on their belt.

The only time I am truly worried about being "made" is when I am LEGALLY carrying in a sensitive area. It can cause a large ruckus and make folks rather upset.

I could give two shits if a security guard at a grocery store thinks I am carrying.

Of course I also live in a state that allows open carry for permit holders.

I'm 5'10" and about 180 so I have a real hard time concealing anything. Even my HK USP-C in a Fist Inc. IWB super thin kydex holster is still somewhat noticeable. Most people probably think it's a cell phone on my belt.

I've even carried my Beretta 92FS and SW1911 on me and nobody has ever said anything.

Besides, if anyone every did ask I'd just tell them that it's none of their fucking business and walk away.

I am very mindful if I am printing or not. I think that's part of my responsibility as a CHL holder. I dress accordingly and I have a couple different options of guns and holsters to carry with.

shoulder holster, IWB, pocket, ankle...are all options. If you are going to run different options, you will need to train for them all. I also use a backpack or "manpurse" if you will, when it's just not feasible to carry without printing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So after I got my CCL, I used to get real nervous carrying my pistol if the buldge was obvious so I had a small Walther that really was concealed. Then I got to thinking that I really just prefer my Glock 36 with black talons b/c its a 45 ACP.

In Oklahoma, I wear t shirts or short sleeve shirts all summer and its pretty damn obvious I'm packing with the Glock everyday - all day. I figure as long as it's covered, even if a person thinks he knows what's there, it's technically concealed (just like having a chubby in silk pants). So far not one person has mentioned it in two years. Am I asking for some cop to get irritated or is it quite reasonable as John Q. Citizen to carry proudly as long as he technically cannot actually see it.
</div></div>

I had to laugh when I saw this.
Ask Timothy McVeigh (Oh, yeah, sorry. He's dead!) if it was a big deal after he was racing away from the OKC bombing April 19th, 1995 when my friend OHP Trooper Charlie Hanger noticed the bulge of his Glock 21 under his left arm as he leaned over to get his paperwork out of the glove box in his tagless Mercury.
Ol' Timothy had a P-226 screwed in his ear when he became upright. This was before OK had permits.
Thanks for reminding me. What a hoot!
Back to the topic....

I try not to print my gun under my shirt, but it does print then its not a big deal. Most people wont notice that its a gun. The worst thing that you could do is attract attention and look suspicious by touching your gun.

Cops don't notice either. I carried my Glock19 in an OWB holster under an untucked shirt all day today in a class taught by two detectives. I noticed both of them were CC by the imprints but if they noticed mine they gave no hint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I resolve this situation early on, by stating: "I'm packing heat, just so you know." That way she can't say she wasn't warned when she's surprised either way, later on..