• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    My friends think i'm out of my mind, but honestly if a situation were to ever develop like VA Tech, Texas, etc. I would rather have it and not need it than be sitting there in that very classroom scared saying to myself if "i only had my weapon."

Well just so happens yesterday Saturday, march the 24th there was a shooting at a dormitory on campus (MSU) victim deceased, 3 males fled from the scene. I walk past Evan's hall every day on the way to class, and sure it might have been a gang shooting whatever they wanna call it. The point in my mind is they had the gumption to actually go on campus and kill someone.

CCW on campus is technically legal, but against school policy IIRC, i'm not sure how those two coincide though.

http://www.emergency.msstate.edu/

Re: CCW on campus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friends think I'm out of my mind, but honestly if a situation were to ever develop like VA Tech, Texas, etc. I would rather have it and not need it than be sitting there in that very classroom scared saying to myself if "i only had my weapon."
    </div></div>

That sounds like most people say. If they were in those situations they would want someone there to do something.

Be the Sheep Dog. Not the Sheep.

If you can conceal it properly then who knows if you have it or not?

I am not saying you should or shouldn't but I bet some others that you do not know still do. Keep YOURSELF safe and those around you will be safe as well.

Yeah, My school policy is that you can carry but under no circumstances are you to use the weapon on campus. On the off chance of a active shooter situation coming up and you happened to stop a killing streak then they might not mind as much. But your still at the mercy of the system since there is a rule in place.

If there's a policy against it, that makes complying with it a condition of being on campus. Carry against the rules and there's an argument that it's defiant trespass.

I think the schools should make campus CCW legal.

I'm no psychiatrist but I do think one rule applies. It is more likely for one person to go crazy than for several people to go crazy.

IE multiple people carrying guns on campus would be a check and balance against lone crazy gunmen.

The president of the university released some statement on how safety was MSU's top priority and to reassure parents and so on that their children would be safe. Might not have my CCW yet, but i'm getting it. I don't live in a particular great neighborhood either not this semester anyhow, my Glock 21 and 50 230gr Speer Gold Dots are coming back with me.

It's simple logic. Court houses, banks, schools, and post offices are weapon-free zones. Who abides by the law? Only those who aren't going to break ever more important laws...like those against murder. So the argument is, if you tell a murderer he can't carry a gun to a school then he'll go somewhere else with his gun. Reality is, he knows he'll be the only one AT the school with a gun. So, do gun laws work? Last time I checked, it was court houses, banks, schools, and the post office where a significant amount of the shootings happen. Is there a connection? Surely not! *sarcasm*

You are responsible for your own safety. If you choose not to break laws (which is what it would be here in Texas) and carry a firearm on campus, the mindset is at least as important. I work in banks, courthouses, and college, middle, and high-school campuses every week. I just can't take the risk of having a sharp-eyed rent-a-cop bust me for carrying a firearm - I've got kids and we don't need me on the news being portrayed as a nut and providing fuel for the anti-gun lobby like that dumb-ass "neighborhood watchman" down in Florida. However, I've thought through the scenario of hearing shooting start. Figure out what you are going to do - whether it is going after the shooter with what you have or bugging out - and don't be just another body under a desk with holes through both hands.

I knew several folks that illegally carried to class at my school.

Their mindset was:

I'm well concealed and will not be found out unless I need it - in which case, my life is in serious jeopardy, and I don't CARE if people know I've been carrying.

You know, the "judged by 12 instead of carried by 6" thing.

There's merit to that philosophy, I think.

There are pistols and concealment methods that make getting busted very, very unlikely. Think J-frame/bellyband.

I'm not advocating you breaking the law. Do the right thing.

One tip: If you choose to CC to class - don't fucking tell ANYBODY! NOBODY! Lucky for the folks that told me what they were doing chose a "cool" person to tell.

Don't make the same mistake! Tell NO ONE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The president of the university released some statement on how safety was MSU's top priority and to reassure parents and so on that their children would be safe. </div></div>

That's where they fucked up. There are no "children" in college.

The way I'm seeing it, and coming from UCLA, the last place you would want to carry at, if the opportunity occurred and you had to face an active gunman, would you rather be shot or take the heat for illegally having a firearm on campus? You could probably find a way to keep it so that no one knows you have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    That's where they fucked up. There are no "children" in college.</div></div>
    You do realize we're talking about the current generations, right? haha The majority of college kids I meet I still consider "kids", and not because of age. If it quacks like a duck...

But I know what you're getting at.

I seem to be in the minority here. If I'm ever somewhere and a gunman started shooting...if at all possible, I'm leaving. Too each his own. I'm just glad the odds are in my favor for never being caught in a situation like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    That's where they fucked up. There are no "children" in college.</div></div>
    You do realize we're talking about the current generations, right? haha The majority of college kids I meet I still consider "kids", and not because of age. If it quacks like a duck...

But I know what you're getting at.

I seem to be in the minority here. If I'm ever somewhere and a gunman started shooting...if at all possible, I'm leaving. Too each his own. I'm just glad the odds are in my favor for never being caught in a situation like that. </div></div>

Just so you know, I teach college, so I'm not completely oblivious to who we're talking about here.

And I'm with you. I'm getting out of there ASAP if anything stupid starts happening, unless I have no other choice.

I know law enforcement can carry on campus. Maybe try to get a reserve commission so you can carry on campus, libraries, etc. All the places CCW's won't let you.

Let me see if I understand this correctly?

The SCHOOL has a rule against CCW. OK.

If I can lawfully carry every where else and suddenly I need a gun to stay a live in a given situation while on campus the possible results are

Alive to be arrested for Trespassing...... or ..... Dead

Alive to have to pick a new school ...... or ..... Dead

I'm not seeing the argument here.

If YOU choose to carry I Concur with the above TELL NO ONE! Especially your friends / girlfriend.

Cheers,

Doc

Update on the situation they ended up catching all three of the suspects and are being charged with capital murder. Got the last one in gainsville, FL today. The second was caught in Ranking, MS and the third in Jackson i believe. Going to be putting some cash back in the weeks to go get everything done.

Rumors going around are that a drug deal went bad or something of the sort, as the incident was isolated. Still pretty frightening they had the gumption to walk up into a dorm and do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me see if I understand this correctly?

If I can lawfully carry every where else and suddenly I need a gun to stay a live in a given situation while on campus the possible results are

If YOU choose to carry I Concur with the above TELL NO ONE! Especially your friends / girlfriend.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Couldn't agree with you more. Just because the GF might agree with ccw doesn't mean she'll always be the GF, get her pissed off and you might be in deep shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fRed650</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me see if I understand this correctly?

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Couldn't agree with you more. Just because the GF might agree with ccw doesn't mean she'll always be the GF, get her pissed off and you might be in deep shit. </div></div>

54....wow good work. Most people have trouble coming up with one piece of bullshit per day. You are covering ground at an amazing rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fRed650</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me see if I understand this correctly?

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Couldn't agree with you more. Just because the GF might agree with ccw doesn't mean she'll always be the GF, get her pissed off and you might be in deep shit. </div></div>

54....wow good work. Most people have trouble coming up with one piece of bullshit per day. You are covering ground at an amazing rate. </div></div>

I'm glad somebody else noticed this crap. I didn't want to speak up, being a newbie myself with less than 100 posts, but this is just ridiculous. Glad at least you took notice...
    I wonder what he's so desperate to sell? haha

new shooting today in oakland

i think if i was in college again i'd carry a tiny 22 mag or something that size in my pocket on campus and take my chances

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fRed650</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me see if I understand this correctly?

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

54....wow good work. Most people have trouble coming up with one piece of bullshit per day. You are covering ground at an amazing rate. </div></div>

He's at 60 now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyappleseed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new shooting today in oakland

i think if i was in college again i'd carry a tiny 22 mag or something that size in my pocket on campus and take my chances </div></div>

I have to agree. The reason I carry is I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Maybe I am a bit paranoid but....

If I am the only one who knows I have it... Great. That is why I "conceal carry".

If I happen to get kicked outta school for saving mine or someone else's life then so be it.

Ohio law explicitly bans CCW on campus...the .38 ends up staying in the car during class. I don't know how cramped your campus is, but if a shooter situation ever did arise here, and I did happen to be armed, I feel a clear shot would be near impossible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leadberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohio law explicitly bans CCW on campus...the .38 ends up staying in the car during class. I don't know how cramped your campus is, but if a shooter situation ever did arise here, and I did happen to be armed, I feel a clear shot would be near impossible. </div></div>

Be careful that gun in your car doesn't become misconstrued as concealed while you're parked on school property.

After reading yet another story of a shooting at an Oakland University yesterday, any campus that does not allow it, or encourage it even, is out of their mind. How many lives could be saved if one person in one of those 300 seat lecture halls was carrying? Instead it becomes a victim zone for those who punched their one way ticket to hell and want to take some innocent lives with em. It's a cryin shame. This comes less than a month after a high school shooting just 30 minutes down the road from me in Chardon.

In California, you can carry on campus. There are no laws that says you can't. However, it is against school policy if you are a student or employee. So if you were found carrying, you can get kicked out of school.

At Clemson I am allowed to use my CWP to keep my gun in my car, but cannot have it on my person while on campus per school rules. I wear my gun from my house to class, stow it in my car, and put it back on when I get back to my car after class. I don't like not being able to carry it to class, and could easily toss a pistol in my backpack but I don't want to risk getting kicked out of college just to carry a pistol to class.

I do however always have my knife on me (as everyone should, best tool in the world) and some of the Kimber mace in my backpack. It will be better than nothing if push comes to shove.

The most recent shooting this week in Oakland just goes to show once again that prohibiting law abiding citizens from protecting themselves from those that have already decided they will commit a much more heinous crime than illegal carry is a deadly mistake. All they are doing is providing an environment that is almost guaranteed to be free of those that can defend themselves and others.

My campus security carries mace.. What are they going to do for me? I am of the mind that if you CCW in the true sense, no one will know unless it was a life or death situation, let them prosecute then... At my school it is school policy that CCW is not allowed, by doing so I am not breaking any state laws, just school policy. I realize that I jeopardize my college education by doing so, but I feel that I jeopardize my life if I don't.

Just my .02
    Its worth what you paid for it.

Need to start an advocacy group to allow campus carry....

Keep your powder dry,
    Goat

In Mississippi...no concealed carry on campus by state law. There is a new expanded carry law, that requires 8 hours of course work and a new shooting proficiency demonstration exam. However, you still CANNOT carry on campus, student or not. What it does say, is that if you are NOT an enrolled student, and happen to drive and park on campus, if you have a gun in your car, you are legal and will not be arrested for that. If you take it out,however, you are in violation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Mississippi...no concealed carry on campus by state law. There is a new expanded carry law, that requires 8 hours of course work and a new shooting proficiency demonstration exam. However, you still CANNOT carry on campus, student or not. What it does say, is that if you are NOT an enrolled student, and happen to drive and park on campus, if you have a gun in your car, you are legal and will not be arrested for that. If you take it out,however, you are in violation.</div></div>

I was under the impression that the new 8 hour course allowed you to physically carry on campuses and other places that were restricted. Though it didn't go into enough detail.

http://www.reflector-online.com/mobile/news/guns-on-campus-1.2689174

Blackops, I just graduated from Miss. State myself and let it be known I stand behind your reasoning.

Also, I heard those fools also had a suppressor on their gun and thats why the first Maroon Alert that came out stated "Stabbing/Shooting." No one ever heard gun shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteShepherd88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blackops, I just graduated from Miss. State myself and let it be known I stand behind your reasoning.

Also, I heard those fools also had a suppressor on their gun and thats why the first Maroon Alert that came out stated "Stabbing/Shooting." No one ever heard gun shots. </div></div>

Really? Damn i wonder where they stole them from. I haven't checked on the site lately but i haven't heard anything about it since last week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the Texas students, Texas law prohibits carrying on campus.

A 30.06 sign is not necessary.

It is a third degree felony. Learn and follow the law.

See Texas Penal Code 46.03 at page 36 of this link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/forms/chl-16.pdf

</div></div>

Wait, Texas has gun laws?
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteShepherd88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blackops, I just graduated from Miss. State myself and let it be known I stand behind your reasoning.

Also, I heard those fools also had a suppressor on their gun and thats why the first Maroon Alert that came out stated "Stabbing/Shooting." No one ever heard gun shots. </div></div>

Oh good. Suppressors. The media will have a field day with that.

Yeah, from what I heard it was still a rumor. But it was a pretty credible rumor, coming from the guy who lived a floor above where the shooting happened.

Black_Ops...I recently took that course after having had a CCW for 10 years. The interpretation that we received specifically addressed that "carry" issue, and what I said previously was what we were told. They also handed out a copy of the law for our reference. However, I put my copy in a "safe place" and cannot immediately find it. When I do I'll re-read it and post any comment I gain that might shed light on the subject. You can probably find a copy on line through a Google search. FNP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteShepherd88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, from what I heard it was still a rumor. But it was a pretty credible rumor, coming from the guy who lived a floor above where the shooting happened. </div></div>

From another MSU alum...stop spreading this bullshit.

Okay...having researched as much as I can...I believe you are correct and I misheard/misunderstood. Google Fu brought up the law as written, and Police stations, courtrooms during a trial and booze joints are about the only no-no's when you have the enhanced sticker. There was a letter written by the State Attorney General, but it was superseded by the new law. Thanks for the clarification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay...having researched as much as I can...I believe you are correct and I misheard/misunderstood. Google Fu brought up the law as written, and Police stations, courtrooms during a trial and booze joints are about the only no-no's when you have the enhanced sticker. There was a letter written by the State Attorney General, but it was superseded by the new law. Thanks for the clarification.</div></div>

No problem, honestly i didn't know either, as i said i was basing it off the articles i read. Which seem to state that. But i hadn't seen any official documentation stating otherwise though. Surprised the articles on the new law don't provide a link to official documents.

Apparently you know more than I do then, old timer. So tell me what happened. I'm getting my info from the MSU forum board, and that scenario actually seems pretty likely.

Since you are a gun owner, I shouldnt have to explain to you why its not a good idea to spread rumors about a suppressor being used in a murder, but apparently you are still wet behind the ears, youngster.

Did you witness the murder and see the suppressor used? Have the police recovered the firearm used in the murder? Did it have a suppressor attached to it? What about all of the student statements I have read where they report hearing the gunshots while in their rooms?

Unless you or someone else witnessed the murder or the authorities have recovered the murder weapon with suppressor attached, I just dont see how any good can come out of spreading rumors about a suppressor being used in commission of a murder. I would love for you to explain what good can come of spreading the rumor, please.

Unfortunately, most people (including "fudd" gun owners) think that suppressors are illegal for average citizens to possess. All I am saying is, why add fuel to the fire??

Ok, ok I understand your part about spreading the rumors. However, this is a gun forum and I figured it was "safe" to mention that here.

I have heard no statements of students reportedly hearing "gunshots." What I did personally receive though was an *Alert* from MSU stating that it was a shooting/stabbing and they were not sure from the beginning because no one had heard gun shots.

It makes sense to me but I do understand your reasoning behind not spreading that rumor.

MSU student Kyle Wegrzy heard the shots. "I was just laying in bed; I thought it was a basketball, believe it or not."

from http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/Mi...8xJGlxyGDQ.cspx

If you feel like its "safe" here to spread rumors about a suppressor being used in commission of a murder, how would anyone know where else you think its "safe" to spread rumors like this. I guess I just have a totally different mindset with regards to our freedoms and would do all I could to refute the rumor, much less spread the bullshit around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friends think i'm out of my mind, but honestly if a situation were to ever develop like VA Tech, Texas, etc. I would rather have it and not need it than be sitting there in that very classroom scared saying to myself if "i only had my weapon."

Well just so happens yesterday Saturday, march the 24th there was a shooting at a dormitory on campus (MSU) victim deceased, 3 males fled from the scene. I walk past Evan's hall every day on the way to class, and sure it might have been a gang shooting whatever they wanna call it. The point in my mind is they had the gumption to actually go on campus and kill someone.

CCW on campus is technically legal, but against school policy IIRC, i'm not sure how those two coincide though.

http://www.emergency.msstate.edu/</div></div>
    I thought here in Mississippi you can take a class and pay an extra $100 and can carry anywhere except police stations and active court rooms where court is in session. You could carry in govt buildings, schools, and where posted no guns.

I consider Starkville to be a pretty safe place. I grew up there and served as a paramedic at OCH for a while. In my experience most people shot, stabbed or otherwise asaulted probably did something to deserve it. Police think that this boy shot was involved in drugs. I now work for the MS Department of Corrections. In my experience very few people are sitting at home minding there own bussiness reading the Bible when 4 dudes jump on them.
    However there are the occasional lunatics like at Virginia Tech. If that happens, I'm out of there and to each his own. In a chaos situation you a very unlikely to get a clear shot.

Weapon or not, you still have a chance to end it. But remember in those situations you never know how you'll react, so you could be super prepared then run away when the time comes.
    Also remember anything can be used to kill someone pretty easily, that backed with the fact most gunman aren't very effective at killing, meaning they need to fire multiple rounds before stopping someone.

Now as for conceal carry I say if you train well and can prove to handle the stress then ok by all means carry. But if you can't handle the stress thus you'll panic don't carry. Since people in a paniced state are irrational and highly dangerous when armed, thus they just add to the problem.

I'd sure as heck carry regardless of campus rules. I've been through and graduated from 3 universities. It's easy to look back and say that I would be fine with being kicked out of one of them if I did something that saved a life.
    Keep it concealed and don't even tell a good friend, you never know when secrets will bite you in the bottom.