• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns CCW Pistol Suggestions for Wife

My wife has a Kahr CW9 with a crimson trace and she does very well with it. She was new to shooting and had an issue with working the slide. I took her to a gun show and she tried several and wanted the Kahr. It is 100% reliable fits her hands and accurate. I have carried a Kahr PM9 for years as a back up and it has been very good as well but much harder to manipulate than the CW9.

Hi Guys,

The wife just got her CCW and we're looking for a pistol for her. We're looking for something compact to subcompact in 9mm caliber under $1,000. What makes it a little more complicated is that she is adamant that the pistol have a safety which is convenient to engage/disengage. She was leaning hard towards a manual safety but it appears a hand grip safety such as those found on 1911 or Springfield XD would suffice. I know most people say not to have a safety on a ccw pistol, but this is what she wants and a pistol on safety is better than no pistol at all. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My girlfriend just got a S&W M&P Shield EZ in 9mm and loves it. It has an excellent grip for smaller hands, the safety grip is very intuitive and it is also easy to rack. Some of the semi's have a significant force required to pull back but this has a very smooth action right out of the box and she has no problem chambering a new round. It's very light and with it's small profile makes it an excellent choice for CC. She has a S&W in the .38 but wanted a bit more "convincing" power. I highly recommend this for any woman, and any man for that matter.

Reactions: stilesg57
CZ83 if you can find one. It is not a tiny pistol, but has excellent ergo's. It is a double stack .380.
A makarov wouldn't be a terrible choice either. there are 9x18 defensive loads available.
I also like revolvers, Taurus makes 9mm revolvers (and one in .380).
I believe that Rock Island is selling a 9mm revolver now.

Wrong answer, Gentlemen... She's obviously a smart lady - smart enough to obtain her CCW. She's certainly smart enough to do her own research, test guns she's interested in, ask her own intelligent questions and pick her own gun. She'll respect you more if you support her in her search and don't make decisions for her.

Reactions: 308pirate
Wrong answer, Gentlemen... She's obviously a smart lady - smart enough to obtain her CCW. She's certainly smart enough to do her own research, test guns she's interested in, ask her own intelligent questions and pick her own gun. She'll respect you more if you support her in her search and don't make decisions for her.
This.

I don't understand why men condescend to women like that.

I actually asked some ladies at an IDPA match why is it that they prefer female instructors and to a woman they mentioned the way men in general talk down to them, even in subtle ways.

Well the OP asked for suggestions of pistol ideas, so rather than tell him how to run his marriage, I obliged his request.

I’ve had some success coaching women with firearms. Except my ex-wife, that didn’t go as well. Go figure.

I used more rhetoric, less logic. Case by case, ymmv.

Glock 43X with Shield Arms 15 round flush fit magazine carried with one in the chamber.
The added step of needing to disengage a safety while in the "red zone" (do or die reaction space) could be deadly.

One for each wife...I like it.
Ever considered two more P365s, for a grand total of 4?

That's not how it goes.

You get a P365 then love it and so you get a second P365 as a spare, then you find a great deal on another spare P365, then you fondle a P365XL and love it so much you want a second P365XL as a spare and then.........

You don’t have to man-splain yourself.

I feel the same way about good sled dogs.

That's not how it goes.

You get a P365 then love it and so you get a second P365 as a spare, then you find a great deal on another spare P365, then you fondle a P365XL and love it so much you want a second P365XL as a spare and then.........

3 pistols I’d consider. P365xl, S&W Shield or the M&P compact. Of those 3 I like the P365xl the most. It’s the same size as a G43x but has 12+1 capacity. I normally carry a G19 during the cooler months and the P365xl when wearing shorts and T-Shirts. Regardless let her pick from a number of weapons. It would be great if you could go to a range that would have all three as rentals so she can shoot them and then make a choice.
Shield arms upgrade gets you 15+1 on the 43x.

I have one to suggest that kinda flies under the radar. I did a bunch of testing on several "carry" pistols back when I got my CC. I went with the Beretta Nano. Very compact for a 9mm but accurate and controllable. I just can't carry concealed comfortably with most of what is out there.
The little Beretta is very reasonably priced too!

While we can only offer suggestions...take her to several LGS and let her choose what she wants, because in the end it will come down to that. You and her can explain to the sales people what you are looking for and then she can see if she likes it or not. The size, weight and grip will be foremost in her mind. This would be my suggestion!

I've been very happy with my P365XL. I swapped it to have the smaller P365 grip module and mounted a Romeo 0 and have been pretty happy. Mine lacks any manual safeties but you can find them with it.

Optic wise, I'll probably upgrade to a Holosun 507K whenever they get released. The Romeo 0 Works but is all plastic including the lens.

I would suggest the Springfield Armory Hellcat or XDS 3.3. My wife's EDC is the XDS and she loves it. I haven't handled the Hellcat yet but folks seem to love it.