• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing CDI Precision Bottom metal

fordsoldier

Just a dude, doing dude stuff.
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2005
Illinois
I would like to thank Jeff Allen the owner of CDI Precisions for helping me with my Remmy 700 build up.

I thought I was done except for the optics. But opted to go and install some bottom metal to run AISC magazines.

CDI is the way to go.

Talked with Jeff quite a few times before mailing my stock off for inletting, for the bottom metal.

I was hesatant at first about cutting into a brand new HS Precision stock but was reasurred by jeff that the out come would be better than what I could expect.

First the inlet on the stock did remove a bit of aluminum out of the magazine channel. But looks awesome.
Picture008-1.jpg

The bottom metal metal is well constructed out of solid billet 6061-T651 and is very stout.
The factory finish is top notch but I went and duracoated it in semigloss hk black to match the rest of the rifle.
Picture009-1.jpg

It did take a small bit of fitting, but that is what makes it custom fit for the rifle.
I did have to remove some metal of the reciever more of a bevel than anything.
Picture007-1.jpg

I also took the dremal to the back of the aisc mag to make a small notch
Picture006-1.jpg

Re: CDI Precision Bottom metal

Fitting of the magazine release is also required. Just filing off a bit of the magazine catch so it would engauge the magazine. Nothing to complicated at all.
Picture011-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Once that is all complete assemble into the stock with the action and tourque down to recommended inch ilbs of 65.
Picture013.jpg

After everything is back together install magazine with a dumby round to insure proper feeding from the magazine.

Picture015-1.jpg

Then sit back and enjoy the fruits of some light labor.

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

I would again thank Jeff for helping me out with a nice upgrade for my remmy 700.
all together It cost me 344.00 for the inletting, bottom metal and 1 AISC 5 round magazine.

came out around the cost of a Badger DBM + mags alone. Nice job with the fitting! I can't see exactly where you had to modify the receiver... Can you point out the location and why you had to do what you did? Thanks.

circled with an Arrow, I could be wrong but I think this is what was modded
reciever_Mod.jpg

And here on the magazine to help,
mag_mod.jpg

Is something wrong with your install? I dont recall having to do this with either my AICS stock or my Badger bottom metal

Jeff is the bottom man, er wait, bottom metal master. That still sounds weid, LOL Nice job and Jeff does do great work! You should see some of the other stuff he builds, awesome.

Poke is right those are the to area's that just needed a little material taken off. the magazine feeds flawlessly. and I love the look of it..

WOW that,s a great writeup..:) I may steal some of it to update my install sheets, hehe..;) Ill give u credit,lol..:)

In regards to the slight clearance at the rear of the action, I moved the magwell as far to the rear as possible. Some rifles have a slight bit more steel in this area. so they require a little trimming. the magazine mod isnt really needed if you trim the action, but this one turned out good also..;)

Jeff I am glad I could do the write up for you and Glad I did this modification to my rifle. It adds a nice touch to it.

Anyone thinking about doing this dont hesitate. Jeff is a top notch guy and his products are top notch as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW that,s a great writeup..:) I may steal some of it to update my install sheets, hehe..;) Ill give u credit,lol..:)

In regards to the slight clearance at the rear of the action, I moved the magwell as far to the rear as possible. Some rifles have a slight bit more steel in this area. so they require a little trimming. the magazine mod isnt really needed if you trim the action, but this one turned out good also..;) </div></div>

Just wondering, have you had anyone wanting to install your DBM on a B&C light tactical stock? How much inletting is required if yes?

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread a bit.

I just ordered one yesterday for a build I am having scheduled. I will be ordering another one soon as well too. My two CDI bottom metals will be going on 2 Manners stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fordsoldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once that is all complete assemble into the stock with the action and tourque down to recommended FT ILBS of 65. </div></div>

Inch Pounds ... not Foot Pounds.

Socal,
Jeff just finished inletting my BC light tactical and it came out great. Im in the middle of texturing but will get a photo out when I can if you need it.

Thanks Norcal! I would definitely appreciate a photo of the finished product if you don't mind. I'm sure there are others who would love to catch a glimpse as well.

I am planning a budget build around the light tactical with Karsten add-on cheek rest, so very interested in how it would work with this DBM since this is the best price for this type of product.

Nice writeup. Told you you had nothing to worry about. Looks exactly like my rifle minus the factory bolt knob. Right down to the trigger.

Enjoy it.

I bought a CDI DBM for my 5R. I wish to do the job myself, are the pillars required. I saw a inletting job on another site, and it did not have pillars. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThudF105d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a CDI DBM for my 5R. I wish to do the job myself, are the pillars required. I saw a inletting job on another site, and it did not have pillars. Thanks </div></div>

The 5R has an HS stock with the aluminum block correct?
If so, then no pillars would be needed, but the stock/block would need to be inlet to accept the CDI BM....
(exactly like what's posted in this thread)

+1 on CDI

A HUGE difference over the FN factory DBM magazine.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jxHh-qnI30A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>