• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Central Florida 22 LR NRL/PRS-ish Style Match - October 27th

lash

Swamp Rat
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
At VCGHC Rifle Range. Details to be posted tonight. Save the date and sign up. I’ll see you there.

Details:

October 27th .22 LR Rimfire Precision Rifle Match

This month’s Dynamic Short Course Precision Rifle Match will be for .22 LR Rimfire Rifles only and will feature all types of stages including paper, steel, more steel, and other fun. No .22 Magnum allowed. This match will include high precision, shooting positions, barricades, movement and did I mention fun?! This is a great opportunity to break out that .22 you have and enjoy some inexpensive fun!

This rifle match will be run 100% on the VCGHC main Rifle Range. Maximum range will be 325yards, though most points stages will be 25-200 yards. This will be a very dynamic match modeled after and borrowing from the popular NRL/PRS style .22 matches plus other style stages that will challenge new and seasoned competitors alike. Minors are welcomed, but must be accompanied by an adult parent or legal guardian.

Where:
Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club
4645 E. SR 44
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
http://www.volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/index.html

When:
October 27, 2019. Be sure to check VCGHC calendar and Precision Shooting Services’ Facebook Page to confirm activities. Pre-registration is required.

Time:
Sign in between 7:00 – 7:30 a.m. at VCGHC main rifle range. Match safety brief is at 7:45 a.m., first shots at 8:00 a.m. and match ends by 1:00 p.m. Pre-registration is required.

PROSPECTIVE NEW SHOOTERS:
It is recommended that you have enough magazines to shoot a 10-12 shot stage without having to reload your magazine (there will not be time for that). A magnified optic is best, have elevation drop values/D.O.P.E. from 25-325 yards handy, bipod or other front support, rear bag/support, and shooting mat are handy to have but not necessary.

Round Count:
Approximately 100 rounds. Bring enough.

Cost:
Pre-registered shooters; $30.00; When accompanied by an adult guardian, JUNIORS (under 16) SHOOT FREE!
If you show up un-announced and we have a full roster (18 shooters), you may be denied entry.
If day-of-match entry is accepted, fees will be; $40.00
To avoid being turned away or paying extra fee, Pre-register – Simple!

Pre-register by:
Paypal use: [email protected]
If by check mail to:
Precision Shooting Services
750 Ballough Road
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
For info contact David McGrath, 386-214-8838 (cell) or email [email protected]

Last edited:
More Information for October 27th .22 LR Rimfire Precision Rifle Match

Here are some details for those of you who might be thinking about coming out and shooting this month.

• .22 Long Rifle rimfire rifles only. No .22 Magnum. No pistols.
• This means you can bring your Ruger 10/22, other semis or your bolt gun. You can bring a single shot, but you will be placed at a severe disadvantage due to the nature of this match. In fact, it will be helpful to have a second magazine for your rifle.
• I recommend using standard velocity (1070 fps or less) ammunition due to the typically better results at long distances, but come with what you have. This will be a fun learning experience for us all.
• The mention of 325 yards has concerned some people. 325 yards is a l-o-n-g way for a .22 rimfire and I will only use this distance on one stage with appropriately sized targets. Yes, it will be a challenge, but it is doable and will be fun for those that have never shot this distance with their .22 before.
• Most targets will be 25-200 yards. Targets will be dynamic or static, steel or paper.
• This is not a bench rest match and will include positional shooting and shooting on and over barricades. There will also be some movement stages.
• Juniors will be accommodated as will those with physical challenges.
• Minors/juniors (under 16) are welcomed, but must exhibit proficiency and be accompanied by an adult parent or legal guardian.
• If you have a chamber flag for your rifle, bring it. If not, see me before we begin to get one, as chamber flags are a required piece of safety equipment.

PROSPECTIVE NEW MATCH SHOOTERS:
• If you have not shot past 50 yards with your .22, do not be intimidated. I recommend that you download a ballistic solution/drop chart from JBM Ballistics or similar site so that you know what your bullet will do at longer distances.
• For those that have ballistic apps on their phone/computer, look up the pre-loaded information under Loads, .22 LR. Most of your common and match .22 loads are already in there and the drop charts are very accurate.
• I will have ballistics charts with me for many of the standard .22 LR loads.
• It is recommended (but not required) that you have a good scope on your rifle, as seeing small targets at distance is difficult and this match is designed around their use. Unless you are well seasoned at shooting long distances with iron sights you will be at a severe disadvantage without a scope.
• There will be many (most) stages inside of 100 yards and all targets and stages are doable, so do not be scared away by the format or the challenge. This is intended to be fun and is new for many.
• If you have them, bring rear bags and bipods for your rifle as they are helpful. A mat or blanket is also helpful, as there will be some prone shooting.
• Lastly, you will find that we are a friendly bunch and many of us are doing this for the first time too. If you are on the fence, come out and shoot with us!

This match will include high precision, shooting positions, barricades, movement and did I mention fun?! This is a great opportunity to break out that .22 you have and enjoy some inexpensive fun!

Round Count: Roughly 100 rounds. I’m not positive, as I haven’t finished the Course of Fire yet. Bring enough.

Please have some more of these. We shoot prs style .22 events once a month at my home range. Guys will love shooting 300 yards. I will be down several times this winter to visit my mother. I would organize my travels around an event like this.

I don't have the proper gun for this, but it would sure be a hoot to try.

@8pointer

Dan? Oh Dan....
Oddly I've been thikning about a 22. Dad is as excited about JTAC as I am, but I know he'd enjoy a 22 probably more than anything. Wish he had a place he could take a KYL target row and play where he lives.....might just get him a RPR 22 and 'borrow' it for these matches!

Mike you are a friggin enabler

Oddly I've been thikning about a 22. Dad is as excited about JTAC as I am, but I know he'd enjoy a 22 probably more than anything. Wish he had a place he could take a KYL target row and play where he lives.....might just get him a RPR 22 and 'borrow' it for these matches!

Mike you are a friggin enabler

Nope, I'm a purchasing mentor...
We had a discussion about that very same thing yesterday concerning Ford Raptors and Shearwater boats... ??

Resized_20190110_144628_7841.jpeg

72mph right outta the gate and 3mpg.

Nope, I'm a purchasing mentor...
We had a discussion about that very same thing yesterday concerning Ford Raptors and Shearwater boats... ??

View attachment 7167958

72mph right outta the gate and 3mpg.
That's a great riding hull is that the 22 or 24?. Have a friend who put a tower on his down in Naples it's a huge tradeoff in performance.....warn you buddy if he gets tower-itis to go sea trial one equipped.....it's a pig he's messed with all different props still a plow even with 250.

I've had a half dozen of them over the years. Haven't owned one since 97.
It would be a good reason to buy one though...

@8pointer This right here is how purchasing mentorship works.
??
My buddy is selling his Barker with Yammy 350 full tower dual controls.....only wants about $110k for it you should grab it!

The protoge becomes the master.....that didn't take long.

That's a great riding hull is that the 22 or 24?. Have a friend who put a tower on his down in Naples it's a huge tradeoff in performance.....warn you buddy if he gets tower-itis to go sea trial one equipped.....it's a pig he's messed with all different props still a plow even with 250.

No chance of a tower or T-Top going on this. It's parked in the 3rd bay of his garage.
This has the Merc 300 racing 4-stroke on it. He's helping the builder get numbers for future builds.

The 26 footer I was on Thursday worked fine with a complete tower. However, it's longer, wider and much deeper, even though it's also a bay boat.

Now, about that RPR rimfire?

My buddy is selling his Barker with Yammy 350 full tower dual controls.....only wants about $110k for it you should grab it!

The protoge becomes the master.....that didn't take long.

I could buy it, but I'd be single again and have to live on it...

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C.
300 yds with a rimfire is tough.
I should see what my Annie will do at that range.

This is at 50yds using RWS.
5 shot groups

20171102_194314.jpg

The one and only time I ever shot it at 100 with zero detectable winds.

I need to try it again.

20190321_113449.jpg

Reactions: lash
300 yds with a rimfire is tough.
I should see what my Annie will do at that range.

This is at 50yds using RWS.
5 shot groups

View attachment 7167995

The one and only time I ever shot it at 100 with zero detectable winds.

I need to try it again.

View attachment 7167997
Come on over and shoot the match on Sunday. You don’t even have to be able to shoot that good to have fun here.

Reactions: Geno C.
That would definitely eat into your score, lol. FWIW, I shoot with a basic salvage mk2 with laminated stock. But it is mag fed.

Are these matches still going on? Any upcoming? I’m in Central Florida and looking for any NRL22 type matches in Florida.

QUOTE="lash, post: 8006104, member: 75240"]
At VCGHC Rifle Range. Details to be posted tonight. Save the date and sign up. I’ll see you there.

Details:

October 27th .22 LR Rimfire Precision Rifle Match

This month’s Dynamic Short Course Precision Rifle Match will be for .22 LR Rimfire Rifles only and will feature all types of stages including paper, steel, more steel, and other fun. No .22 Magnum allowed. This match will include high precision, shooting positions, barricades, movement and did I mention fun?! This is a great opportunity to break out that .22 you have and enjoy some inexpensive fun!

This rifle match will be run 100% on the VCGHC main Rifle Range. Maximum range will be 325yards, though most points stages will be 25-200 yards. This will be a very dynamic match modeled after and borrowing from the popular NRL/PRS style .22 matches plus other style stages that will challenge new and seasoned competitors alike. Minors are welcomed, but must be accompanied by an adult parent or legal guardian.

Where:
Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club
4645 E. SR 44
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
http://www.volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/index.html

When:
October 27, 2019. Be sure to check VCGHC calendar and Precision Shooting Services’ Facebook Page to confirm activities. Pre-registration is required.

Time:
Sign in between 7:00 – 7:30 a.m. at VCGHC main rifle range. Match safety brief is at 7:45 a.m., first shots at 8:00 a.m. and match ends by 1:00 p.m. Pre-registration is required.

PROSPECTIVE NEW SHOOTERS:
It is recommended that you have enough magazines to shoot a 10-12 shot stage without having to reload your magazine (there will not be time for that). A magnified optic is best, have elevation drop values/D.O.P.E. from 25-325 yards handy, bipod or other front support, rear bag/support, and shooting mat are handy to have but not necessary.

Round Count:
Approximately 100 rounds. Bring enough.

Cost:
Pre-registered shooters; $30.00; When accompanied by an adult guardian, JUNIORS (under 16) SHOOT FREE!
If you show up un-announced and we have a full roster (18 shooters), you may be denied entry.
If day-of-match entry is accepted, fees will be; $40.00
To avoid being turned away or paying extra fee, Pre-register – Simple!

Pre-register by:
Paypal use: [email protected]
If by check mail to:
Precision Shooting Services
750 Ballough Road
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
For info contact David McGrath, 386-214-8838 (cell) or email [email protected]
[/QUOTE]

Hi Carl,
I haven’t run a .22 match in a while. There’s has been a bit of turmoil at the club during the past year as ownership changed and the new owners made changes to most everything. In addition, I’ve been a bit busy with my work situation.
Having said that, I plan on meeting with the new management and seeing about a .22 match this fall if possible. If I get something worked out, I’ll post here and start a new thread.

Btw, thanks for asking.

Thanks Dave. I look forward to hearing back. I’m assuming the problems are effecting the center fire matches and practice sessions as well?

QUOTE="lash, post: 8797965, member: 75240"]
Hi Carl,
I haven’t run a .22 match in a while. There’s has been a bit of turmoil at the club during the past year as ownership changed and the new owners made changes to most everything. In addition, I’ve been a bit busy with my work situation.
Having said that, I plan on meeting with the new management and seeing about a .22 match this fall if possible. If I get something worked out, I’ll post here and start a new thread.
[/QUOTE]

Yes Carl, those are also affected. Also, I am not Dave. Dave McGrath is the owner of Precision Shooting Services in Daytona Beach and the sponsor for all of the past matches. He also sponsors the 300 yard rifle range and the new long range rifle range. The whole centerfire long range rifle is still in flux as new arrangements are made. Currently, there is no more shooting on the old cow pasture 1000 yard range.

If you want to practice long range rifle at VCGHC now, you have to be a member and it currently costs $50 additional per each day that you want to shoot at the new 900 yard range. I am not currently involved with it and find it hard to pay that.

As things progress and/or change, we shall see how the future of long range centerfire rifle is affected here.

Oh, and I’m Mike LaRoe. Merely an interested party that happened to be involved in Developing running centerfire and .22 long range practices and matches over the past 5-6 years in this area. I hope to be involved in the future of same here.

Oh sorry about that Mike. I used to shoot the matches out there years ago and knew Dave was the one who ran them. Too bad to hear about some of the changes. I’ll have to look more into the new situation out there. Thanks for all of the information.

I just happened to stumble on this VCGHC related discussion down here in this subforum, is there a link to somewhere where there is a more open and full discussion about the change/turmoil going on there and the recent change in ownership? First I’ve heard of it.
I am not a member but have shot there several times and taken courses in years past.

I am not aware of any place or thread that has been discussing this subject, yet. So here’s my take in things. Take this as merely my opinions when I’m not stating actual facts.

The summary of the changes are as follows:
Last summer, Sean Beery, previous owner and the guy who started and created VCGHC, sold it to Gorka Ibenez, who also purchased the land it is on and some additional land adjacent to the club. Sean had always been leasing the land. During the past year Gorka has sunk a lot of money and time in improvements to the club and it shows, positively.

Since Gorka is primarily a national pistol competitor, the biggest focus has been improving the pistol bays, improving and increasing pistol competitions and growing membership. I expect we may have some National series matches here soon. There have been changes made to the 100-300 yard rifle range during this time also.

Since Tucker is a good friend of Gorka’s, Gorka agreed to and has built a 900 yard long range course in back of the club. Here’s where things get a little weird for those of us that hacked out a long range course out of a cow pasture to the west of the club and helped create a longer range rifle culture over the past 8 years or so.

When Gorka bought the land from the owner, who also owns all of the 10s of thousands of acres all around the club, there was a clause in the contract that said that the owner could not allow any activities on his remaining property that could be construed as competing with VCGHC activities. That pretty much killed all of our activities on the land we had been using for our practices and matches.

Since only a couple people were even privy to this and the long range guys like us who actually made things happen were not involved in any way, the group’s interests were not represented in any way. So, where does that leave us today?

Currently, there are no more practices and local matches as in the past, sponsored by PSS. While Dave does pay for sponsorship at VCGHC rifle and long range rifle range and puts his signs up at each, he no longer runs anything there. Additionally, if you want to practice at the long range course, you must first arrange for a special qualification and pay $50/day for shooting there if you are already a member at VCGHC.

On the plus side, Tucker is very active in PRS and he put on a great regional event in July that attracted 60+ shooters. I was fortunate to be able to attend that shoot. I fully expect that more such events will also be held there.

So to conclude, I just want to say that while things are in a state of flux, I expect that when all is said and done that there will be a new normal for long range rifle shooters at VCGHC.

Almost forgot. There are now caliber and speed restrictions, straight from the PRS rulebook. No larger than .30 caliber and no faster than 3200 FPS. So those of you that used to shoot your .338s out there (myself included sometimes) are SOL for now.

Reactions: winniedonkey