• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Central Texas 2 coyotes, one BIG hog

Garvey

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Melissa, Texas
I snuck in on the coyotes and hit the big one on the left at 180 yards. The smaller one on the right was hit at 150 yards after he ran back to see what happened to the one the fell. I was shooting a 178gr. Hornady A-Max. It did the job very well. I've got exit wound pics but figured I'd leave those out.

ValleyMillscoyotes.jpg

This hog stepped out at 94 yards and the A-Max piled up his big ass right where he stood.

005-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

Re: Central Texas 2 coyotes, one BIG hog

Maybe it's the photo, but that coyote on the left does look huge. 45 lbs? 50 lbs? A buddy of mine has got a 53 lb. male trapping last season and it was insane. It honestly looks of similar size...

Nice shootin'!
smile.gif

Yessir. That one on the left was a big coyote. One of the biggest I've ever killed. I like to think he was a fawn and calf killer. WAS key word there!

Nice yotes and that hog is amazing. You got a nice boom stick too. What's the make of your rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don't Tread On Me!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice yotes and that hog is amazing. You got a nice boom stick too. What's the make of your rifle? </div></div>

The barreled action is a Savage 10 FLCP-K, Mcmillan A-5 and Super Sniper 5-20 x 50.

Nice shooting, best way to see pigs and yotes.

I was just a few miles south of Valley Mills. Pretty sad that the creek I was staying close to had some nice bass in it last year and this year it's just puddles. But I knew it held hogs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You had a lot better lock with the AMAX than I have. Every hog I have shot with an AMAX ran off never to be seen again. Some big ones ran off after multiple hits.

Good job!</div></div>

what caliber and bullet weight?
I took a buddy a few years ago and he ran Hornady TAP 168 in 308
man, it made some NASTY holes in deer

I like Accubonds or TTSX
I have yet to have a hog walk away from my 6.8 and a Barnes bullet...

I like Accubonds for bolt actions if hunting deer and want max range and accuracy, they have worked great. I trust the Barnes on up close hogs better though

I read mixed review of the A-max prior to loading them for hunting, but most reviews were positive. It was very accurate out to 700 yards on steel so I rolled with it. After dropping the hog I feel good about em.

Nice piggy, 225-250lbs? What was the shot placement? My buddy loves the 178Amax for pigs, hard to get in trouble on bullet performance if your running a heavier slug at .308 speeds.

I was using 168 grain AMAX. What I use now are M80 ball (147FMJ) and 5.56 green tip. Green tip is devastating on pigs, and the 147gr FMJ ammo in my experience is a DRT.

I have not had ANY pig run off after getting hit with either of these, and the Coyote I shot with green tip didnt make it 100 yards before dropping.

Nothing better than killing pigs and Coyotes with cheap ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice piggy, 225-250lbs? What was the shot placement? My buddy loves the 178Amax for pigs, hard to get in trouble on bullet performance if your running a heavier slug at .308 speeds.</div></div>

He had to be over 300. My pics don't do justice to the size of that sucker. I should've measured him. Buddy of mine that kills more hogs a year than anyone I know said judging by his head (he took to his taxidermist wife for a euro) he was between 300 and 350.

He was walking, I got a good track on him, and put one in the neck. There was huge exit wounds in the coyotes, there wasn't an exit wound on the hog. But the bullet did its job 3 times. They all fell over and were DRT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just a few miles south of Valley Mills. </div></div>

I know a guy with a nice piece of property 1,000 acres, in that same area. Beautiful country.

You're right about that. It's a long ways from traffic jams and smog. I may end up there when I'm done working for the Fire Department.

That's a Good hog (good & dead), congrats. Nice shots on the yotes too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pigman Jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn nice hog. How much did that rig cost? </div></div>

Significantly more than my first truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Significantly more than my first truck. </div></div>

Haha I believe it.

Now thats what i call a hog. You got a 50lb coyote and a 300lb hog in the same day?? Also did you recover the amax from the hog.. fragments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogBone87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now thats what i call a hog. You got a 50lb coyote and a 300lb hog in the same day?? Also did you recover the amax from the hog.. fragments? </div></div>

The coyotes were one morning and the hog was the next morning.

No recovery of the A-Max. It produced a grapefruit size exit wound on the coyotes. I only cut the hog's head off and I didn't notice an exit wound when I rolled him over. But if the A-max can knock a hog, that size, off his feet it should kill anything I want it to with proper shot placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1bad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats one nice pig </div></div>

When a swine exceeds 60 pounds it is a hog.
grin.gif

And thank you!