• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote GSG1911....

GSRswapandslow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina, Hudson (28638)
so i have a GSG1911 that's seen better days. i'm hovering around 20k rounds down the barrel...some time spent in an eagle holster and other time in the gun bag or getting dropped on the ground. the finish isn't horrible...but it's not the best, either.

i'm wanting to get the entire frame/slide done in Burnt Bronze...with the controls and sights done in very flat black.

my questions:
1. is the frame/slide SAFE to bake? I'm honestly not sure of it's metallurgy...
2. how much fitment will have to happen to get the gun back together? mostly i'm worried on the sights...as they are Dawson's and i had to file/sand a good bit to get them to fit..and they're TIGHT.
3. should i attempt this at home...or just pay someone?
4. how much should a job like this cost?

thanks

Re: Cerakote GSG1911....

If it's metal you are fine. 250F @ 2 hours
Slide/Frame should require no fitting
Sights will need to be fitted again possibly
pay someone else unless you have a sand blasting cabinet (120grit AlumOx) and a good HVLP gun with a .08 tip and want to learn.

I would charge you $150.00 others go as high as $225.00 average is probably in the 175.00 range which includes tear down and build up and fitting sights.

Re: Cerakote GSG1911....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DVC Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's metal you are fine. 250F @ 2 hours
Slide/Frame should require no fitting
Sights will need to be fitted again possibly
pay someone else unless you have a sand blasting cabinet (120grit AlumOx) and a good HVLP gun with a .08 tip and want to learn.

I would charge you $150.00 others go as high as $225.00 average is probably in the 175.00 range which includes tear down and build up and fitting sights. </div></div>

Ya, thats about right. Any plastic parts be careful and keep below 200.