• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote recommendations

JohnDeereGuy1996

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Long story short I sent an atlas bipod and badger maxx mount off to get cerakoated to match my ax in sage green. It wasn’t even close and my bipod came back to me unassembled. I asked for the inside of the rings to be uncoated and left alone. Well they just ignored that and coated them anyway. I then try to just match it with some spray paint and really can’t find a good match.

Anyone have a recommendation who could take on the work and fix my dumb mistakes? Would really like this to all match up.

Long story short I sent an atlas bipod and badger maxx mount off to get cerakoated to match my ax in sage green. It wasn’t even close and my bipod came back to me unassembled. I asked for the inside of the rings to be uncoated and left alone. Well they just ignored that and coated them anyway. I then try to just match it with some spray paint and really can’t find a good match.

Anyone have a recommendation who could take on the work and fix my dumb mistakes? Would really like this to all match up.
If the coating really is CeraKote, it is only going to be removed by blasting again.

Blasting precision parts /precision contact surfaces repeatedly is absolutely not recommended unless somebody works regularly and successfully in that niche. It sounds like your coater does neither.

If you gave them some written instructions and they ignored them to the detriment of your parts, you should simply have them replace the parts with new ones or at a minimum refund 100% of the money you paid them which could then go toward new or corrected parts.

If the coating really is CeraKote, it is only going to be removed by blasting again.

Blasting precision parts /precision contact surfaces repeatedly is absolutely not recommended unless somebody works regularly and successfully in that niche. It sounds like your coater does neither.

If you gave them some written instructions and they ignored them to the detriment of your parts, you should simply have them replace the parts with new ones or at a minimum refund 100% of the money you paid them which could then go toward new or corrected parts.

I highly doubt he would agree to that but I may try…. If I do get it recoated would my best bet to be to try and leave the inside of the rings unblasted and leave the color that’s on it?

Please name the guy who did the poor work- so we can avoid him. TYIA

Please name the guy who did the poor work- so we can avoid him. TYIA
The work itself seems okay. The color recipe was given to me from mile high but it’s not close. I wrote all this in his note section so my guess is that it was read over like my note about not coating the inside of the rings.

As far as the bipod goes there was zero mention of it not being put back together. I sent pics got a quote and that was that. I assumed that meant reassembly etc. (I may be in the wrong on this?)

He’s agreed to send my money back for the work. Although I’m still out a 300$ mount and a 300$ bipod that I have zero clue on how to resemble.

We came to an agreement and I appreciate him at least sending my money back therefore I feel it’s only fair I withhold any names.

Reactions: Milf Dots
The work itself seems okay. The color recipe was given to me from mile high but it’s not close. I wrote all this in his note section so my guess is that it was read over like my note about not coating the inside of the rings.

As far as the bipod goes there was zero mention of it not being put back together. I sent pics got a quote and that was that. I assumed that meant reassembly etc. (I may be in the wrong on this?)

He’s agreed to send my money back for the work. Although I’m still out a 300$ mount and a 300$ bipod that I have zero clue on how to resemble.

We came to an agreement and I appreciate him at least sending my money back therefore I feel it’s only fair I withhold any names.
I wouldn't be happy with that agreement

I’d ask them to replace the bipods. Taking it apart can void the warranty.

B&T also charges fee, plus parts to reassemble them.

Reactions: Brym427
RedBeard Gunworks in Portland, TX has the secret potion on sage green, call & talk to my guy Mitch... They did my AT & all of Sam's original AO chassis order.

20230429_083158.jpg

Send the bipod back to BT. Yeah, May cost you a little for reassembly but that’s not being out a $ 300 bipod.

As for inside of rings, perhaps a lapping bar and grit?

Then let whoever is going to fix the cerakote blast the outside and re-coat. Yeah, mo’ money but you aren’t out a $300 mount.

Best of luck.

Reactions: JohnDeereGuy1996
Shithead painters piss me off.

I haven't matched the sage green AI color, nor the pale brown. Mile HIgh sent me a small bottle of pale brown and not even it matched the factory parts from AI. I could cheat and have a different paint manufactured to match either, or both colors, but it wouldn't be cerakote. It'd be good stuff, but not as thin as cerakote. The downside, it's a $300 risk that the paint may go bad before I get enough work to justify the purchase of a gallon of paint.

If you have all the tiny parts and what not, i'll put the atlas together for you for free. Send me a PM if you want to take me up on it.

Plenty of folks can chime in that i'm the real deal, and not some clown that's gonna fuck your shit up or run off with it.

Branden

P.S. Painting the inside of the rings isn't exactly a massive issue. I never paint the inside of rings by default, I have to be specifically requested to paint the inside. I recommend against it on heavy recoiling rifles. I've seen scopes slips in rings coated with elite series cerakote, the stuff is slick.

Shithead painters piss me off.

I haven't matched the sage green AI color, nor the pale brown. Mile HIgh sent me a small bottle of pale brown and not even it matched the factory parts from AI. I could cheat and have a different paint manufactured to match either, or both colors, but it wouldn't be cerakote. It'd be good stuff, but not as thin as cerakote. The downside, it's a $300 risk that the paint may go bad before I get enough work to justify the purchase of a gallon of paint.

If you have all the tiny parts and what not, i'll put the atlas together for you for free. Send me a PM if you want to take me up on it.

Plenty of folks can chime in that i'm the real deal, and not some clown that's gonna fuck your shit up or run off with it.

Branden

P.S. Painting the inside of the rings isn't exactly a massive issue. I never paint the inside of rings by default, I have to be specifically requested to paint the inside. I recommend against it on heavy recoiling rifles. I've seen scopes slips in rings coated with elite series cerakote, the stuff is slick.
Man that’s awesome and I really appreciate it. We actually talked about this project on the phone. Should have my face punched for not using you. How about I pay you to coat it back to black and whatever your reassembly price is.

Man that’s awesome and I really appreciate it. We actually talked about this project on the phone. Should have my face punched for not using you. How about I pay you to coat it back to black and whatever your reassembly price is.
Looks like batman is already fired up, step on up and he will oblige you

• Haha
Reactions: JohnDeereGuy1996
Why not just paint the axe with the same color?
Yes let’s paint the $8,000 rifle so it matches the slipping badger mount and pile of parts that used to be a bipod!! 😁👍

Better send to the same guys. Since it’s there color recipe now

Your AX will come back in enough pieces to fit in a usps priority envelope

Reactions: carbonbased
I wouldn’t be too worried about the color being wrong. It’s hard to match especially if you don’t have the original color parts to match to. I wouldn’t be particularly happy about the bipod returned like that or the inside of the rings coated as you specified not to.

AI colors are deceiving. Especially stuff like the elite sand. If I carry my AI through my house it goes from grey to green to some blue/grey tint thing. Like a chameleon

Hopefully they didn’t blast the crap out of the inside of the rings

That stuff removes all the other powder coated stuff I have used it on. Have you tried it?
Powdercoat, and Cerakote are very different coating technologies. Cerakote even has materials that state the only way to remove it is mechanical means (blasting or sanding). I also tried it myself before I posted just to confirm because I didn't want to look silly if I was wrong. If the cerakote isn't fully cured perhaps it would work, but I don't have any partially cured parts to try it out on.

Although I don't have any more of the old school stuff with the methylene Chloride in it...that stuff was the shit when it came to paint stripping. I keep that aircraft stripper on hand all the time anytime I get powdercoated stuff in, easiest way to get powdercoating off of parts. It doesn't work as well as the old stuff with the Methylene Chloride.

I've been kicking around dabbling in powdercoating, mostly because I have some parts of my camper that need to be refinished from getting beat up by rocks and sand over the years. I need to get a bigger oven for that though.

Branden

Reactions: Aftermath
I don't have anything Cerakoted that I want to test. Never have wanted/needed to remove any Cerakote (yet).
I've read many of the Cerakote tech sheets...if I recall correctly, they state "resistant to most chemicals". I suppose that's their caveat to avoid litigation and such. Even so, most is not all...
The stuff I have is called B17 and literally within 2 minutes every powder coating I have used it on is bubbling and peeling. In 5 minutes you can use a pressure washer and just wash away all evidence of powder coating.
I am tempted to Cerakote something just to test. I just can't get my head wrapped around how a few particles of ceramic suspended in powder coating polymers can make much difference. It's not a true ceramic that requires near 2000 F...almost 10 times hotter than Cerakote is fired. It remains amazingly flexible like other polymers.
I'm not arguing with you, not doubting what you are saying because you are saying it, not my intent...I'm just ever the skeptic.

I don't have anything Cerakoted that I want to test. Never have wanted/needed to remove any Cerakote (yet).
I've read many of the Cerakote tech sheets...if I recall correctly, they state "resistant to most chemicals". I suppose that's their caveat to avoid litigation and such. Even so, most is not all...
The stuff I have is called B17 and literally within 2 minutes every powder coating I have used it on is bubbling and peeling. In 5 minutes you can use a pressure washer and just wash away all evidence of powder coating.
I am tempted to Cerakote something just to test. I just can't get my head wrapped around how a few particles of ceramic suspended in powder coating polymers can make much difference. It's not a true ceramic that requires near 2000 F...almost 10 times hotter than Cerakote is fired. It remains amazingly flexible like other polymers.
I'm not arguing with you, not doubting what you are saying because you are saying it, not my intent...I'm just ever the skeptic.
I need to try out B17, sounds like it works better than the stuff I have. I was stripping the powdercoat off a bow riser recently and the stripper I used took a couple applications to get nearly all the powdercoat off, and that which remained I blasted off to prep for cerakoting.

I had a muzzlebrake that I was redoing because I wasn't happy with the finish, so I hit it with the stripper a couple times and let it sit a while to see if there was any change, and it didn't do a thing to it. PM me your address, i'll send you a test panel of cured cerakote and hit it with that B17 and i'd be interested to see if it does anything.

I was aware that cerakote isn't a true ceramic. Had a long coversation with the owner of KG Coatings one year at SHOT show, and he talked about cerakote and how they aren't truly a ceramic coating. He was a wealth of knowledge, and a really nice guy. He unfortunately passed this past year, and a lot of knowledge died with him.

Branden

Yes let’s paint the $8,000 rifle so it matches the slipping badger mount and pile of parts that used to be a bipod!! 😁👍

Sounds pretty dumb,
Need to put my glasses on when I read. I thought he was talking about an Axe. Right?