• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakotes Micro Slick?

Re: Cerakotes Micro Slick?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting my new surgeon bolt and inside of the action done with microslick here:

http://www.phantomfinishing.com/
</div></div>

Is it just one color? The NIC page of colors isnt working and their gallery shows many different colors.

http://www.nicindustries.com/df_gallery.php

From the description and picture, its a cool blue gray color that i may just get the whole action/bolt/and barrel done in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Johns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have it. It's dark grey.
I coated my bolt in it. Love it. </div></div>

what version do you have, the oven or air? is there a difference in the color between the versions? lastly, is there any reason i just wouldnt coat my whole action/barrel/bolt in it it i was going for a dark gray color?

The heat cure version is P-109. It is not on their website, you have to call and ask for it. You can find an application guide in the downloads section. http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/P-109%20Application%20Guide%20-C-110.pdf It is matte black and I was told by NIC tech that it tests higher in all scratch, durability, etc... tests than the C-110. Both products work well in my opinion. I use the P-109 because many of my applications require black and I can put it into service quicker than the C-110.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The heat cure version is P-109. It is not on their website, you have to call and ask for it. You can find an application guide in the downloads section. http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/P-109%20Application%20Guide%20-C-110.pdf It is matte black and I was told by NIC tech that it tests higher in all scratch, durability, etc... tests than the C-110. Both products work well in my opinion. I use the P-109 because many of my applications require black and I can put it into service quicker than the C-110. </div></div>

Thanks for that info! How does the p-109 compare to the normal h series cerakoting?

If it's the same, and you wanted black, is there any reason not to use it over the whole barreled action?

I use both air cure and heat cure. It is more black in color than anything else. It is pretty tough and is slicker, but like the other cerakote coatings it is not scratch or bullet proof.

I have the bolt done on my 700 in the oven cure. After 400 rounds it has worn a bit, but certainly seems to have helped with the smoothness of the bolt.

I had my Surgeon bolt re-fluted and microslicked the bolt body only (gray area in the pic below). Have only put a couple rounds down range with it since I got it back. Can't say that it made a noticable difference on how smoothe the action operated, since it was a very smoothe action to begin with.

2012-09-27_08-57-08_96.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hennig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the bolt done on my 700 in the oven cure. After 400 rounds it has worn a bit, but certainly seems to have helped with the smoothness of the bolt. </div></div>

was it coated before in cerakote or was it plain? i am trying to decide if its worth the little bit of hardness difference to get the microslick on the bolt vs the standard oven cured cerakote.

we use it on request, but it is hard to quantify 'smoothness' in something like bolt actuation. just like any product it wears with time, but if you're hoping to use it in an application where you want to avoid oils or grease for lubricant and run it 'dry' then it is worth considering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for that info! How does the p-109 compare to the normal h series cerakoting?

If it's the same, and you wanted black, is there any reason not to use it over the whole barreled action? </div></div>

If comparing the H-146 Graphite Black to P-109 the P-109 is blacker than the H-146, the H-146 does have a slight graphite appearance. I have not used H-190 Armor Black so I can't comment on that. The microslick coatings are intended to be applied as a much thinner coating (about half as thick) although I don't see why you couldn't go the same thickness as the H coatings. I believe the scratch/abrasion of the P is on par with the H coatings. The price of the microslick coatings is slightly higher. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it for a complete assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hennig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the bolt done on my 700 in the oven cure. After 400 rounds it has worn a bit, but certainly seems to have helped with the smoothness of the bolt. </div></div>

was it coated before in cerakote or was it plain? i am trying to decide if its worth the little bit of hardness difference to get the microslick on the bolt vs the standard oven cured cerakote.</div></div>

Was plain beforehand, and was one on a bolt with only a few hundred rounds through it - so its hard to say the impact it has had. Cant see any downside to trying
smile.gif
. I did black cerakote on the knob + handle etc, and the microslick on the body.