• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cfe-223

Smkngstv

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
edmonton alberta
This is a new powder I picked up today ,it has a copper fouler eraser built into the powder,any body use it and does it do what it claims made by hodgdon

This is a new powder I picked up today ,it has a copper fouler eraser built into the powder,any body use it and does it do what it claims made by hodgdon

I read an article in either GUNS, or G&A, that had borescope photos and it seems to reduce copper fouling, at least on the bores that the author used for the test.

People like it and it seems to shoot well in the 223 Rem.

Chris

I'm using cfe in my .223 and .308 loads. Performs great. Little slower than varget plus it's a ball powder so it meters like a champ. It does actually speed up the cleaning process. I get very little blue on my first swab after solvent and usually 6 or 7 passes and it's done. People are getting great results in many calibers with it.

I'm using cfe in my .223 and .308 loads. Performs great. Little slower than varget plus it's a ball powder so it meters like a champ. It does actually speed up the cleaning process. I get very little blue on my first swab after solvent and usually 6 or 7 passes and it's done. People are getting great results in many calibers with it.

This, but I am confused about your statement that it is slower than Varget. Do you mean the powder burn rate of CFE is slower or that with CFE your velocity is slower than Varget is for you? The burn rate of CFE is slower than Varget, but for me with the amount of grains of CFE I can charge Winchester or Hornady .308 brass with I get way more velocity than with Varget, and no pressure signs, so far.

I really like this powder, the only thing that might bug me about it is that it is temp sensitive, unlike Varget's insensitivity.

OP, Hodgdon CFE 223 is virtually the same as Alliant Power Pro 2000MR, and made in same plant.

This, but I am confused about your statement that it is slower than Varget. Do you mean the powder burn rate of CFE is slower or that with CFE your velocity is slower than Varget is for you? The burn rate of CFE is slower than Varget, but for me with the amount of grains of CFE I can charge Winchester or Hornady .308 brass with I get way more velocity than with Varget, and no pressure signs, so far.

I really like this powder, the only thing that might bug me about it is that it is temp sensitive, unlike Varget's insensitivity.

OP, Hodgdon CFE 223 is virtually the same as Alliant Power Pro 2000MR, and made in same plant.

Yes. That's what I was referring to. Burn rate. My brain was in front of my fingers. I'm hoping ill witness the temp sensitive side here soon if it does in fact change. I've only shot it when it was in the 50's.

Tried it for the first time with 80gr Amax out of a Sako 85 .223, 24" 1-8. 4 loads from 23.0 to 24.0gr. 23gr was best for me, 0.83" 5-shot group at 100yds, 2494 fps. Was happy to see that because the Sako wasn't liking Varget and it took a while to find a VN-140 load that worked.

CFE223 was easy to work with, too.

Yes. That's what I was referring to. Burn rate. My brain was in front of my fingers. I'm hoping ill witness the temp sensitive side here soon if it does in fact change. I've only shot it when it was in the 50's.

Yeah ok, I though that is what you probably meant.
Yes, be cautious with it when the temps get up & up.

Yeah ok, I though that is what you probably meant.
Yes, be cautious with it when the temps get up & up.

Yeah, I noticed you have to have to use more CFE than any other powders listed in my Hornady manual. Not a big deal, but you'll get less rounds per pound.

I use 47grs CFE & 2000MR under 168AMAXs with Lapua brass, 42grs RE15(same components), the velocity is faster with CFE. And my barrels clean up very easy. Little to no blue on my patches.

Well, it's a ball powder so you can fit more of it in there. Since .308 seems to like more of a full case of powder, I put more in there :) But in the summer be careful about that.

This is my new favorite powder for .223, Ive worked up very accurate loads using this powder with the 69gn Nosler CC and Nosler 55gn Varmegeddon.
This powder also meters better than anything I have ever used.

Bringing up an old thread for a quick question.

I have 55 gr and 62 gr FMJs I would like to load for training ammo, but want a little accuracy out of them. What is a good starting point and max I should work around? The Hogdon reload data I have found has nothing on FMJs.

Hodgdon lists two 55gr bullets. The max range for both is around 27.5 but the starting range is different. I'd start closer to the lower around 25. I ended up at 26.6 for a load that works in all three of my ARs. The site lists a 62gr bullet starting around 23.8. Can't speak to it though as I don't shoot 62s.

I have used this powder and got some great groups @200Yds. Im in Florida and didnt have any problems with temp. It was at least 90 degrees at the range. Im new so I hope I listed the data the way you guys do it.

1. Fed .223 brass
2. 24gr. - CFE 223
3. CCI #41 Primer
4. 69g - Nosler Custom Competition HBT
5. Compass Lake Eng. - Target AR

Hope this helps

Bringing up an old thread for a quick question.

I have 55 gr and 62 gr FMJs I would like to load for training ammo, but want a little accuracy out of them. What is a good starting point and max I should work around? The Hogdon reload data I have found has nothing on FMJs.
I've had good results at 27.5 with the 55 fmj's in two different AR's. 27.8 is book max I believe. It's hot but that's where it shot well.

Any new updates on the CFE .223 powder? I'm thinking of loading it in my .223 Bolt gun and my .308 Bolt gun.

Any new updates on the CFE .223 powder? I'm thinking of loading it in my .223 Bolt gun and my .308 Bolt gun.

I've only shot a handful of test loads with it in my .308. Cleaned gun before and after. Didn't seem any cleaner than H4895. Not going out of my way to find it, but will use if the price is right.

I should also add, load light and work your way up. The time I hit 48gr behind a 168gr Hornady, My bolt wouldn't hardly release.