• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CFE223 pressure signs?

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Starting a new load for playing with. Fired a few into the bank to check for pressure signs. The 2 test loads primers look ok, but I see a very distinct plunger mark on the brass at about 6’oclock in the pic. I also noticed brass on the bolt face.

I used the hogdon starting load of 45.5 grains for a 175 smk. Am I being too cautious or have a right to be concerned? ETA cci benchrest large rifle primers, 70 degrees.

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4067.jpeg

IMG_4051.png

Last edited:
Are you using magnum primers?
What temp were you shooting at?

Hm, something sounds off?

I see that is RP brass. If it was fired from factory loads, are you sure those ejector prints were not there from the first cycle?
If you have no bad history with the rifle using other ammo, I would suggest the next session is one where you carefully study all the ammo and cases up front. Try some factory ammo first and see if that shows problems.

Try to run with a chronograph to see if the speeds also make sense and track with expectations.

Try to double check the charge weights. If you have any leftover, it may be worth taking one apart to check it. If all of them looked like your photos, versus statistical issues, you have a chance to find it by checking one.

Another idea is to try the same load with a different brand of brass.

Double check all your brass prep dimensions to be very sure before you repeat the tests. A start load of CFE223 isn‘t supposed to cause pressure signs, so you were right to question the marks on the brass.

Could the oal for that bullet be a little long for the throat of that rifle? Did you paint with a sharpie and look for touching?

Reactions: TurdFerguson
Thank you for the suggestions. Gives me somethings to try.

Rifle seems to be good though its been feed a steady diet of varget. I don't think those marks were there (third loading) but it is a possibility. I usually check pressure with a few before going hog wild loading a batch.

I may borrow a known spare scale to make sure mine isn't fucked/check to make I read the amounts right.

Ive never checked the oal vs throat on this gun but it will be something else to look at tomorrow. I will also clean it.

I have winchester, after ive checked the oal and equipment, I might it a try. The only thing I dint have is the federal 210 primers. Are they “cooler” than the cci benchrest?

I've gone to "painting" the bottom of the case with a Sharpie to see if new ejector marks appear... It helps differentiate old marks from previous firings against new ones.

Mike

Reactions: simonp
Ejector hole marks are a sign that one of two things is going on:
- Pressure is too high for that particular brass (softer brass will show marks at lower pressure than harder brass, brass is not all equal)
- Headspace was too large. This is the relationship between your sized brass and the chamber, NOT just a reference between the chamber and a go gauge. Pushing the shoulder back too far while sizing = excessive headspace, which causes ejector hole marks.

IME, CFE223 gives good velocity but pressure peaks pretty rapidly once you get there. A more forgiving option is Leverevolution; it seems to be a bit more forgiving on the top end and gives even better velocity in most cases where CFE223 is appropriate. There is no published 308 load data for Lever at this time, but you can start with CFE223 data. Expect max loads to be about 1-1.5 gr higher with Lever.

Reactions: Near miss
Took a lot of advice in this thread:
-re-checked charge weights
-tested scale against a known reliable scale
-checked oal and seemed ok
IMG_4092.jpeg

-Sharpied the bottom of test brass. Sig showed no marks, the RP brass still had marks.
IMG_4097.jpeg

Tried some prepped Sig brass and signs disappeared.

Both brass have the same trim length and the same prep.

Attachments

• IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 24