• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CG x-treme Mod22 trigger questions

plidenbrock

PFC
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2014
Alaskan bush
Been readying a new build and considering using this trigger. During research, a couple questions have arisen that i can't seem to find the answers to:

1) Safety lever operation: is there a difference in the amount of force required to push safety to OFF versus the force required to pull safety ON? I've used a Savage rifle in the past that operated same as a Remington style trigger safety and it requires quite a bit more force to push OFF, while it's easy to pull to ON, and I've actually come to appreciate this little design feature. My first rifle was an AW308 and the safety was pretty chintzy, with no real detents to it, rather just a kinda floaty here-there-wherever feel to it, and I did not like it at all.

2) Are there any operational flaws or issues with the current 700 pattern CG Xtreme Mod22 trigger system?

There have been at least two reports of safety issues with the trigger system:

On the thread 2 Stage Triggers, post #28 dated 04NOV17 SPAK reported
I just bought a cg22. Really nice trigger. Pulls very consistent and user adjustable. It does have a wierd issue that the Saftey can be engaged from the fired position. If you run the bolt like this the firing pin goes forward. As long as you leave the Saftey lever in “fire” after you pull he trigger everything functions normally. You can run the bolt engage Saftey and all is well. No slam fires, Saftey goes on when bolt is cocked doesn’t fire when slammed.

Called Tom Meyers and apparently there was a change in the Saftey mechanism of the trigger to make it easier to accurate that now allows that behavior.
Then from the thread X treme trigger, post #8 dated 15JUL17 a Matt Garrett stated in part

Installed Model 22 Mil-spec Trigger. Would not go on safe after firing pin fell and it was recocked. If you (dry)fired, bolted the rifle, and tried to push the safety lever to the "safe" position. You had to take the bolt out of battery to engage the trigger to "Safe" each and every time.

That thread further goes on to raise questions about the aforementioned Tom Meyers, and suggests that a change in producer or supplier occurred away from X-treme, although I see today that X-treme Shooting Products LLC is apparently still involved.

My understanding is that these are used on some of the US military's weapons quite successfully, so not sure what to make of the above posts.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Zero issues with mine. Tom is a stand-up guy as well. Myself as well as friends of mine have/would echo the same.

If I were in the market right now I'd buy a MOD22 any day of the week.

The Accuracy International Competition trigger is manufactured by X-treme in a joint venture with AINA. Pretty sure AI knows how to pick reliable vendors ;)

Been readying a new build and considering using this trigger. During research, a couple questions have arisen that i can't seem to find the answers to:

1) Safety lever operation: is there a difference in the amount of force required to push safety to OFF versus the force required to pull safety ON? I've used a Savage rifle in the past that operated same as a Remington style trigger safety and it requires quite a bit more force to push OFF, while it's easy to pull to ON, and I've actually come to appreciate this little design feature. My first rifle was an AW308 and the safety was pretty chintzy, with no real detents to it, rather just a kinda floaty here-there-wherever feel to it, and I did not like it at all.

2) Are there any operational flaws or issues with the current 700 pattern CG Xtreme Mod22 trigger system?

There have been at least two reports of safety issues with the trigger system:

On the thread 2 Stage Triggers, post #28 dated 04NOV17 SPAK reported

Then from the thread X treme trigger, post #8 dated 15JUL17 a Matt Garrett stated in part

That thread further goes on to raise questions about the aforementioned Tom Meyers, and suggests that a change in producer or supplier occurred away from X-treme, although I see today that X-treme Shooting Products LLC is apparently still involved.

My understanding is that these are used on some of the US military's weapons quite successfully, so not sure what to make of the above posts.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Zero issues with mine as well.

1. Safety takes more force to apply than take off. It's physically pulling a lever in the trigger away from the sear (blocking it) so you have to overcome spring force to put it on safe.

2. Biggest thing I saw with it is that because it is a sear blocking safety design, if the trigger is in the rearward position and the safety is flicked off, the rifle will fire.

Overall, love the trigger. There's a long overtravel in mine until it hits a solid wall, but I don't mash on a bolt rifle trigger, so not a big deal. Adjustability is great and once it's right, it's super crisp. Be prepared to loctite the sear adjustment screws, mine kept rotating, but quick fix.

Reactions: plidenbrock
I have used two models of the CG xtreme Mod 22. First was with a Surgeon 591. I had to fit the cocking piece to the sear, with Tom’s guidance. Works perfectly. The second was with a Defiance Deviant. The sear was too short so Tom sent me a taller sear which worked perfectly. Great triggers, and Tom definitely is a good guy to work with. Adjustments take some care and patience, but once dialed in, they just work. I would not hesitate to use them.

Been running a CG for years now in a LR 300 WM and have had no troubles. Very crisp and everything is completely adjustable.

FWIW, IMHO, & IME
I would politely suggest waiting on the new Geiselle Two Stage Trigger:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ington-700-super-700-triggers-prod114411.aspx

I've had more than enough drama with Tom Meyers, on two stock 700s, and two of his Xtreme Model 22s to wave you off on this purchase. Tom is a "stand-up guy" allright...

I will only say that Dam Neck has ZERO CONFIDENCE in this trigger. It is a "round file" product...

Even Robert Chombart, the trigger's inventor, commented negatively on current execution and customer service. The trigger was supposed to be re-designed and properly built by another concern. I've seen none of that come to fruition...FWIW & IME.

Regards, Matt.

Btw, I am BEYOND thrilled for all of those who have had good luck with Xtreme/Meyers Model 22. That being said it has not been my personal experience by a mile.

Last edited:
Since my post I’ve had some lengthy interaction with Tom.... bottom line is I have 3 triggers now with safteys that function properly now. That being said two of them needed the cocking piece on rifles to be ground down. They work flawlessly now. They are by far my favorite two state trigger that I have tried.

However, I have not tried the geissle two stage.

Given my experience with the single stage trigger tech triggers I own and have tried, if I had to buy another 2 stage I would highly recommend waiting for the trigger tech 2 stage.