• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chamber flush system

ajridgedell

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2012
US
I am looking for a chamber flush system to start using while chambering my own barrels. I see people making their own systems and I may wind up having to do that, but does anybody offer a set up ready to go, pump and everything built specifically for this purpose? My grizzly lathe has the coolant set up but it only makes like 5 psi so I'm pretty sure that will not work for clearing chips off the reamer while its cutting.

I only do my own barrels, at most a couple a year, so I don't need anything super commercial duty.

Greg at GreTan rifles did this at one time. Rifle Colorado.

It is not worth the expense, time, and effort to set one up for a few barrels per year.
Why would you even want to bother?

Cheap water pump from HF. Puts out around 40psi with dark cutting oil. Whole house water filter from Home Depot. 7gal bucket, brass fittings and what not. High pressure super swivel from Ebay I have around $200 into my whole setup. Well worth it.
DCE17F77-82DF-46D0-AC7D-A5A63864022D.jpeg

001F4DB5-5B01-4B79-87FE-E80557D16A92.jpeg

He might just want to do the best job possible, utilizing the best techniques.

Yeah, basically what I'm wanting to accomplish. It sucks standing there forever pecking a little, pulling out and clearing the chips off then going a little more. Even if its as seldom as I do. And the last one I did wound up having a defect in the chamber still.

Time saver, you bet.
Install it "just because", sure, why not.
"Best job possible, best technique"- I would respectfully disagree. Never seen a difference in chamber finish since using a flush system than before I did.

It is a huge time saver. Filtering out the chips presents a different issue, there's more to it than just forcing oil down the tube.

Good luck.

Reactions: Danny1788
Cheap water pump from HF. Puts out around 40psi with dark cutting oil. Whole house water filter from Home Depot. 7gal bucket, brass fittings and what not. High pressure super swivel from Ebay I have around $200 into my whole setup. Well worth it.
View attachment 7265788
View attachment 7265789

Looks like Ill be building something similar to yours. Parts are on the way.

Reactions: Geno C.
It is not worth the expense, time, and effort to set one up for a few barrels per year.
Why would you even want to bother?

I don't believe this is true at all, it is however a matter of opinion. The through bore flush is very nice to have and will dramtically cut down on time it takes to chamber a barrel, and some will suggest that tool wear is decreased as well. I have the Gretan through bore. For $140 plus the pump you choose it is well worth it to me.

OK, I'll bite.

Why?
1. The OP wants it.
2. One must spend thousands of dollars to get set up to chamber their own barrels. Why stop short to save a couple/few hundred bucks and couple hours of time to spend far more time on each chamber job.
3. Why risk a chip gettin spun between the reamer and chamber?
4. If the chips aren’t getting pushed out the breech end while reaming, what are they doing? Just cruising around packed in the flutes rubbing on the precious leade, freebore and chamber walls?
5. Without it, on each peck, what are you doing to clear chips? Blowing hard and abrasive chips down the bore?

I’ve got a video showing a chamber being reamer with a HSS reamer using parameters very similar to what one would use on a manual machine (300 RPM, .050” pecks). It is using a fairly transparent coolant at only 35 PSI, and it is very obvious on what the chips are doing, or aren’t doing.

Is through bore flush necessary? For most, probably not. Is it worth it, my opinion, absolutely.

What pump and filter did you go with and where from
got both from amazon

Reactions: Danny1788
Have u ran it enough to see if the pump will handle the oil and on the filter how long it will run before closing up

View attachment 7265788
View attachment 7265789
Ok i got my rotary union in and are they supposed to be this stiff to turn. Seems like it will put undue pressure on barrel. Just seems pretty tight to turn

Ok i got my rotary union in and are they supposed to be this stiff to turn. Seems like it will put undue pressure on barrel. Just seems pretty tight to turn
What rotary union did you get? At first I ordered one that looked like it would work but it was really stiff so I then ordered a duebin like everyone else and it turns way better.