• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamber mop stuck in bolt body

Clem

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2019
I'm probably the only idiot who's ever done this, but while cleaning the inside of my Tikka bolt body with a tight-fitting (now I know too tight) chamber mob, the brass part of the mop snapped off and I can't seem to get it out. Even slim profile needle nose pliers won't go in far enough to grab the brass nub that's left and pull it out. I've tried shooting compressed air in through the firing pin hole, but it's just too jammed in there. Anything that will fit through the firing pin hole is generally too small and fragile to push with enough force to get it out. My other thought was somehow dissolving the cotton mop, but it would seem that anything I do that with will also potentially ruin the bolt. Any thoughts on my big dumb F-up?

Possible to get some vacuum suction on one side and air pressure on the other ?
I'd get it pretty wet with oil as well.
DannG

Oh right I forgot to mention, I've had it soaking in lube for a day now.

You could buy a pin gage of the correct diameter and use it to push it out.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Oh right I forgot to mention, I've had it soaking in lube for a day now.
Try an oil specifically made for penetrating tight fits. Then after a few days soaking in penetrating oil (like Kroil) ... try compressed air and see if you can expose enough to grab with plyers.

Bicycle spokes work great , pushing and pulling . Can make a custom hook or push through FP hole .

You know they make needle nose pliers with longer noses... Also long forceps/tongs. Just search on Amazon.

Make a wire hook. Lost a bristle brush in a VW oil galley like this once and after a couple hours of freaking out that's what I came up with that worked

My ex gf would be able to suck that out for you. I'll see if I can get ahold of her.

Reactions: toader
My ex gf would be able to suck that out for you. I'll see if I can get ahold of her.
Arise dead thread.png