• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chamber reamers and tooling makers?

NXS338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Central FLORIDA
I have read a lot here about Pt&g and have some of there products but I was wondering about some of the other companies that make reamers and tooling. Anyone use Clymer, Manson, JGS ? Is PT&G the best out there or are there better ones ? Any info on these others listed would be greatly appreciated.

JGS is a silent top shelf maker of reamers and other gunsmithing cutters. You will not be disappointed, I promise.

I sure wish I knew anything about grinding shit! Seems there's potentially a lot of money to be made if you could make bolts and reamers quicker with good CS. Problem with jgs is seems they somehow take longer than ptg, and for quite a bit more money. However the reamers are probably a bit nicer.

Regurgitating what I seem to have concluded from gunsmiths:

Henrikson are *the* best - but you do a lot of paying and a lot of waiting

JGS - awesome but you still do a lot of paying and a lot of waiting

Manson - excellent product, less paying and less waiting

PTG - usually a good product, good pricing, not too much waiting as long as they don't forget your order, and they make the part to the print the first time.

Clymer - do these guys make live pilot reamers?

I have reamers from PTG, JGS and Henrikson and I stay with them since their design is the same and all my bushings interchange using a screw to hold them on. Clymer and Manson reamers are identical types using a small "C" clip to hold the bushing on. I prefer to mess with the screw other than the small clip.

Clymer and Manson reamers are identical types using a small "C" clip to hold the bushing on. I prefer to mess with the screw other than the small clip.

I thought Manson used PT&G style bushings- I hope they do, I have one on the way right now.

I was basing it on this from their catalog:
Please note that bushings from all other reamer makers--except Clymer--fit these spindles so you don’t have to replace your bushing inventory when you buy our cutters.

Looking back at it, it looks like its specifically talking about their other form tools though, not chamber reamers. It's going to suck if their chamber reamers use a different bushing.

Last edited:
I have mostly Manson Reamers, some ptg, and a couple of clymers.

They all cut well. Believe it or not I got an extraordinarily smooth chamber with the clymer.

I sure wish I knew anything about grinding shit! Seems there's potentially a lot of money to be made if you could make bolts and reamers quicker with good CS. Problem with jgs is seems they somehow take longer than ptg, and for quite a bit more money. However the reamers are probably a bit nicer.

They're definitely nicer, I've never had a new reamer that needs to be sent back for regrind because the margins were wrong out of the box... nor gotten charged for that regrind because "you're not cutting with it correctly"

They also don't release prints that are marked PROPRIETARY to anyone that calls up like some others do...
My experience is that their lead times are correct with the several reamers that I have bought from them as well as the 3 others that they called me about this week to confirm delivery address and payment before shipping (a week early I might add)

Yes, they're more expensive if you don't care that your IP gets distributed around without your permission or the quoted lead times are wrong half the time, then you can save $45 on a reamer going with another outfit in Oregon.