• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chamber spec goals

rossneder

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2006
Flagstaff, AZ
www.neder.com
What are the specs for a obtainable "perfect" chamber in runout and size over the actual reamer?

The go-nogo gague is the standard for length but haw about the other specs?

Thanks,
Ross

If it is a sami spec, those would be your measurements, but it depends on what you wanted to obtain in the first place. I would say it is more a relationship of reamer vs chamber size. If you have a reamer that is too big, your cases will ballon and even rupture. One to tight, they won't chamber. Your chamber should be as close to the center of your bolt assuming the bolt is in the center 9f the action, and your chamber should be as center to the barrel bore as posible.
Your barrel threads should be as close to center of the barrel bore as posible and you should have a minimum of 2 thou clearance between your case and your chamber.

What are the specs for a obtainable "perfect" chamber in runout and size over the actual reamer?

The go-nogo gague is the standard for length but haw about the other specs?

Thanks,
Ross

Unless you're competent with using gage balls and the math associated with them there is no reliable accurate way to measure chamber diameters.
Runout We all strive for perfection. The critical area is the throat. On the cartridge base the few I check are .0010" TIR or less. But again I emphasize the throat. It has to be concentric with the bore.