• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

chamber to long

Super91

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2013
Louisiana
I have a savage 110 long action with a chamber lenght of 3.276.In the barnes manual it says to load the 85 grain ttsx to a Col of 2.645.Thats a hell of a jump or am I missing something?I copared the barnes round to a rem.110 grain soft point and they are bassically the same lenght at the ogive.

Last edited:
Did you measure with hornady or sinclair tool to achieve you 3.276 number? If not I would suggest acquiring one of those tools to do so. If so, you could load some rounds to mag length and see how they shoot. If you don't mind single feeding then load some at 10 to 15 thousands off the lands and see how those perform.

Factory rifles tend to have rather distant lands but maybe you can use that to your advantage. By they way, what caliber is your rifle chambered in?

Yeah, that's not surprising though...I had a factory 700 in 300 ultramag and with my bullets loaded at mag length there was .046" jump. That's good on the throat. It shot good though.
My 260 has ~.032" jump and it shoots bug holes.
Its not uncommon, just load em up mag length and let her rip unless you want a single shot...

Sent using Tapatalk 4

I have a Savage .223 and it has a throat longer than my AR15 rifles, the chambers today must be big enough to fit the company lawyer in plus the cartridge. (Meaning the longer throat lowers pressures)