• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chambering Issues?

knutson24

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
North Pole
I just got done loading up some once fired win brass for my AR 25 wssm go to shoot a ladder test and the bolt won't close all the way. I FL sized the brass with a lee die. Came home took some brand new never been fired win brass made up a dummy round using the same specs and the bolt closes just fine. Is it possible my die isnt resizing the last 1/4'' of the brass or maye I just have a tight chamber? Out of options any help would be great.

Knutson

Re: Chambering Issues?

Yes, you could have a bad die. Are you camming over?

If so, try another FL sizer die. Or call LEE and tell them your issue and they will probaly send you a new die.

Caliper (Measure) or mic the base of the brass that chambers the measure the brass that does not. Check it againist the sammi spec in your reloading manual.

Terry

Your die isnt set up right and your shoulders need bumped a couple thou. Even though it's not recomended you can use a body/ bump die to correct your issue with the loaded catridge. WSSM brass is normally very thick at the neck and shoulder. When sizing you should feel a pronounced cam-over at the bottom of your press stroke. AR platform chambers need their room to cycle through battery / lug engaugement. Just dont over do it cause that will create a whole new set of problems. (read: casehead seperation)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Your die isnt set up right and your shoulders need bumped a couple thou. Even though it's not recomended you can use a body/ bump die to correct your issue with the loaded catridge. WSSM brass is normally very thick at the neck and shoulder. When sizing you should feel a pronounced cam-over at the bottom of your press stroke. AR platform chambers need their room to cycle through battery / lug engaugement. Just dont over do it cause that will create a whole new set of problems. (read: casehead seperation) </div></div>

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there only one way to set up a die for FL resizing. I put the press up into battery then screw the die in until touching the shell holder, then lower the press and turn the die another 1/4 turn. Then I adjust the the decapping pin so it just poppes the spent primer out. Exactly per LEE's instructions.

All of the brass has the same specs as the new brass except the last 1/4" of the base is 0.015 larger. I tried re-resizing some of the brass but no matter how many times I put it through the press the last 1/4" is tight.

I have had to go MORE than 1/4 turn passed die-to-shellholder contact to bump the neck back (200 .308 rounds taught me this niffty lesson) on some rounds. I would adjust the die 'til the round chambered right, and move on!

+1 what Handloader said.....
wink.gif

I don't use the die manufactures setup recommendations, instead I have a device that measures the position of the sholder, and adjust the die until I get the sholder in the position I want (within 0.001)

It just so happens that my dies do cam over just like they are supposed to, but using this method, even if I get a poorly mfgd die, you can still get it setup, or KNOW that it is not and be able to do something about that.

My die is bottoming out on the shell holder. how am I suppose to adjust the shoulder any further?

You can take a couple thou off of your shell holder with a file or a grinder to provide more travel into the die. Redding also makes a set of shell holders in varying thicknesess to correct this issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had to go MORE than 1/4 turn passed die-to-shellholder contact to bump the neck back (200 .308 rounds taught me this niffty lesson) on some rounds. I would adjust the die 'til the round chambered right, and move on!</div></div>

This.

Even though the die is bottoming out on the shellholder, turning the die in further will bump the shoulder back a little bit more. I know it doesn't make any sense, but I've had the same problem that you had and after talking to a Hornady representative (this was with Hornady dies) and thinking he was stupid for telling me to turn the die down further, it worked and I had a little egg on my face. Try and see, you may be just as surprised as I was.

rasp65, those plus + measurments you are seeing is the amount of extra travel into the die they will allow over a standard shell holder.