• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chambering Rounds Longer than SAAMI Spec OAL - A Stupid Question

LostInJersey

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2020
I basically have been loading to SAAMI spec for my 6.5 Creedmoor (2.8100"). With my Hornady OAL gauge and SMK 142s, I was measuring CBTO of 2.2943" +/- 0.0006 and OAL of 2.9110" +/- 0.0012". This was using three bullets from the same lot.

So if I back off the lands 0.05", that'd still put my OAL somewhere around 2.8610" which is above SAAMI spec. So odds are it won't fit in a standard magazine. Do you just single feed your rounds as a result?

Some mags allow for longer cartridges that others for the same caliber. Like I pickup up a couple Alpha mags (I don't think they're in business any longer) that allows me to use cartridges as long as 2.968 OAL, which can get me out to the lands in my .308.

Even though I can load a mag long like that, when it's hot out at the range (like 100°+), I will still single feed just to be sure to keep the cartridges from heating up any more than necessary. And along with that, I'll not chamber a round until my POA is right on and ready to squeeze one off. On cool day's (like below 90°), I'll use my mags.