• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Chance to buy an FN 5.7 pistol....should I?

101stinfantry

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    AR
    An acquaintance of mine has a (supposedly NIB) FN 5.7 pistol he wants to sell me for $1000. I have a PS 90 that I like a lot for hauling around on walks, the ATV, and my wife enjoys shooting it cuz she don't like the feel of freedom (recoil). The only reason I'm even considering it is my wife hates shooting pistols, like I said very recoil sensitive. Certainly not something I need. So should I?

That sounds like a good price to me. Depending on condition. new ones are going in the $1,250 range. They are plentiful these days. Figure out what model he has, it could be worth more. Check out FN forums for more info.

I've shot a couple and got the impression they where just novelty items. Recoil was similar to a plastic framed 9mm, the safety is fully retarded, the trigger sucks and most importantly, the cost of ammo keeps most owners from actually shooting their guns. If that's your thing go for it.

If you're already buying the ammo for another gun you own, I don't see why not. If you weren't already in the caliber, I'd say pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went ahead and bought it, its a NIB USG. Cost of ammo isn't bad at all $179.00 for 500 delivered for SS197, about what .22WMR goes for around here. Of course its a novelty item, but 30 other guns I have are only novelty items (especially the machine guns) as well, not like I need all of them.

The PS90 is one of the funnest firearms one could shoot. Not one person I know hasn't liked it after putting a few rounds down range.

A friend has the FN57. I feel the same about it as the PDW. It's weird but brings a smile.

Where do you guys find 5.7 ammo that cheap??!!

No problem, buy it cheap! As an aside, I've heard that the pistol will actually handle stiffer loads than the rifle, but I don't know if there is any truth to that. It may be a wash at any rate, since I'll probably never re-load for it unless there is another mass shortage/panic again.

Palmentto also has the american eagle brand on sale for 14.99 all the time. Really is the same as 22 WMR. I enjoy mine along with my AR57. Very fun. I CCW it also at times.

SS198 is the ammo you want. Fn regulates it(military and police), but if you look hard you can find it. It's the real deal, hot stuff!!!!

Steve, i agree. I shot an PD90 with the fun button the other day. i enjoyed it more rapid fire semi than full. Even that little round walks and i was holding onto it like a 2 year old with his peter

Steve, i agree. I shot an PD90 with the fun button the other day. i enjoyed it more rapid fire semi than full. Even that little round walks and i was holding onto it like a 2 year old with his peter

That's something on my bucket list!!! Crazy how much it costs to rent one.

I had no problem keeping hits on a full sized chicken at 200M and a 15" round at 300Y with my PS90. That was with a RD on top.

We have a bunch of steel set up at a friends house, quite a few from 50Y to 136Y but closer in too and that's what I'd like to use the FN57 for.

Last edited:
    The rental is cheap. Its the ammo!
    the two ranges here that rent FA are $40 plus ammo.
    One has an MP5 SBR i wanna give a go. Depending on their ammo prices (if same as their retail) i will have to put a few mags through it!

Well, I'm happy I went ahead and bought it, the wife really likes it. She isn't much on rapid fire, but she was going after it today! Steve, I hope you didn't clean out the ammo looks like I'm gonna have to put in an order very soon.

Ok, a few more details. I was trying to get her to shoot two center mass one to the head. Now she definitely has the concept down, but its a tad different than what I had in mind. If I'm on the receiving end I like my way better. Hers are two to the nads, one to the neck. And shes pretty damn good at it. I prefer all three to the melon, and I'll even hold still if it will ensure I don't have my balls shot off, before bleeding to death.

That's a good price even though the gun isn't anything special. Sure it's cool

5.7 is NOT the same thing as .22 mag.
    It isn't some kind of wonder cartridge, but fucks sake, it isn't anything near a .22 mag in performance. (about 400 fps difference for the 40 grainers fired from the pistols (fiveseven compared to PMR 30)). 400 fps is a HUGE difference.
    Here is a comparison in regards to penetration through level IIA armor, notice the hornady 40 grain ball from the PS90.
    https://youtu.be/XmhmtJvLZQU

Last edited:
    5.7 is NOT the same thing as .22 mag.
    It isn't some kind of wonder cartridge, but fucks sake, it isn't anything near a .22 mag in performance. (about 400 fps difference for the 40 grainers fired from the pistols (fiveseven compared to PMR 30)). 400 fps is a HUGE difference.
    Here is a comparison in regards to penetration through level IIA armor, notice the hornady 40 grain ball from the PS90.
    https://youtu.be/XmhmtJvLZQU

I agree and to anyone who has seen what a 22 mag HP does to a prairie dog or, damn near blows them in half... just think what a burst out of a P90 would do to a two legger, or rapid fire from a 5n7.

One reason to carry a firearm is for self defense. You want to make sure that a given round will do what it is supposed to do to protect you and your family. As a physician I have seen many shooting victims over the years. Just about any ammunition will put the hurt on a miscreant, if shot placement is good. I found a recent article that talks about the lethality of the 5.7 round - this gun is no novelty toy.
    The info is gruesome, but the fact of the matter is that he 5.7 is very lethal! Read at your own risk - I found this interesting.... From an article in Defensive Carry.
    [h=2]Lethality of the fn 5.7 pistol[/h]
    The FN 5.7 pistol is constantly maligned or underestimated in many gun forums and articles, often by people who have never experienced shooting the pistol. Subjective comparisons with the .22 magnum or categorization as a sub-par .223 round create confusion about the effectiveness of the FN 5.7.

Enough time has passed after the terrorist attack at Ft. Hood. The shooter, Nidal Malik Hassan, has been arrested, tried and sentenced. The media has moved on. Now we can begin to analyze the impact of the FN 5.7 and address the question of lethality.

Using SS192 and SS197SR ammunition (common commercial 5.7x28 ammo), several 20-30 round magazines and an FN 5.7 (shooter also had a .357 revolver but did not use it), Hassan killed 13 and wounded 32 people.

Many armchair ballistics expert criticized this result as proof that the FN 5.7 platform is not lethal enough because of the proportion of the fatalities to the wounded. Others have proposed that had Hassan use another type of pistol, 9mm or .45, there would have been more fatalities.

If you look at this Wikipedia link and look at the list of casualties, one can come to a very eye-opening conclusion.
    Fort Hood shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. 11 people were shot center-of-mass (COM), one was shot in the stomach and one was shot in the head. All 13 died. All 11 victims who were shot COM did not survive.
    2. 3 of the 13 people who died, tried to charge Hassan, but he stopped them with COM shots.
    3. The 32 people who were wounded were hit in the arms, legs, hips and shoulders. None of the wounded survivors were shot COM.

The following conclusions can be drawn:
    1. The FN 5.7 is a very lethal round CQB because all 11 victims who were shot COM died. No survivors for those hit COM.
    2. The FN 5.7 is a real stopper, because 3 tried to charge Hassan at close range and were stopped by COM shots.
    3. One of the fatalities was shot in the stomach, and died. The fragmentation of the SS197R roundcan create a hail of metal shards that can cause serious internal organ damage and bleeding in the stomach.
    4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones. The high rate of wounded vicitms to fatalities was the direct result of the shooting ability of Hassan (or lack thereof), and not because the 5.7x28 round is not lethal.
    5. Sgt. Kimberly Munley (base civilian police), one of the first responders, was immediately disabled with 5.7x28 bullet shrapnels to her wrist and a second 5.7x28 bullet broke her femur. The light 5.7x28 commercial ammo showed that it can shatter large bones due to its velocity
    6. According to medical personnel, there was so much blood in the room that it was difficult to get to the victims because the floor became very slippery. One can conclude that the commercial 5.7x28 rounds can fragment or tumble, causing immense blood loss.
    7. It took five bullets (which I assume was a 9 mm) from Sgt Mark Todd to stop Hasan. And he survived his wounds (no available info on where he was hit, except that one of the bullets paralyzed Hasan).

In conclusion:
    1. The FN 5.7 is definitely a very lethal round. 100% fatality for COM shots.
    2. The FN 5.7 is a man-stopper. Three military men tried to charge Hasan, and all three were stopped.
    2. The FN 5.7 is a very incapacitating round, if extremities are hit, because it is powerful enough to break the femur (which is the largest bone in the body)
    3. The fragmentation or tumbling effect of commercial ammo can cause a lot of blood loss.

The FN 5.7 is a very effective weapon. It is as effective as, or arguably more effective, than any military or civilian pistols in the market.

It is unfortunate that the jihadist Hassan used this weapon against U.S. soldiers.

I was wondering the same thing? I was looking at the little 35gr. Hornady NTX bullets, I might buy some dies at some point and fiddle with it a bit. It's just that those tiny cases give me nightmares, kinda like the .25 ACP, I tried loading some of those for a family friend one time, and they were a real PIA.

Been controversial, but Elite Ammunition produces some high performance loads for the 5.7x28mm, some even tailored specifically for the pistol. Their S4 and T6 are wicked

Been controversial, but Elite Ammunition produces some high performance loads for the 5.7x28mm, some even tailored specifically for the pistol. Their S4 and T6 are wicked

Wow, for $2.33 per round it had better be wicked. It might be the cats ass, but I think I'll stick with the FN stuff.

prairiefire,

That is some incredibly telling information. Many times the "best round" subject has come up and many of us have stood by our myths as the way to go. The truth is hyper-velocity is a real killer. And when not killing it's causing incredible damage when it hits.

This was very true of the 5.56x45 when it was adopted in the rifle. Yet most of us believed the .30 cal was still the best way to go. The U.S. Army stumbled onto this in the 1920's, but Gen. McArthur put an end to that kind of thinking. It took 30 years to get it going again.

Some caveats to this kind of thinking. The bullet and the barrel have to match to be effective. Point in case is the M855, 62 gr. w/steel penetrator. With a 1-7" twist barrel, it has all the terminal ballistics of an ice pick. But, the M193 55gr. ball in the 1-12" twist (or earlier, and especially, 1-14" twist) tended to yaw on impact and cause disproportionate damage. Of course the myth prevailed that the cartridge was too small to do any real damage. Of all the things I thought was done right, those specific two issues were what made the M16A2 less effective, even though it shot farther accurately, than the M16A1.

Bringing this subject back to the Fn 5.7x28, within it's given range, it does a massive amount of damage. Point #4 is the most telling. NO ONE, after getting hit, continued the fight to take down Hasan. That is literally a 100% stopping rate. Small fast bullets are incredibly effective.

Last edited:
    I was wondering the same thing? I was looking at the little 35gr. Hornady NTX bullets, I might buy some dies at some point and fiddle with it a bit. It's just that those tiny cases give me nightmares, kinda like the .25 ACP, I tried loading some of those for a family friend one time, and they were a real PIA.

I researched reloading 5.7x28 a little bit and there are two problems that stick out to me.

The first is that the cases have a lacquer coating on them that grabs the chamber walls in the blowback action of the P90's. Cleaning cases should be done in a mild fashion to preserve this coating, like just swishing them around around in soapy water, rinsing and drying. Personally I think I'd only reload the cases two or three times.

Second was that a .2 grain overload causes excessive over pressure. That makes me nervous so I would only hand weigh charges.

Between both those detractors I haven't bought dies yet to try reloading for this case. No experience here so I'm just repeating some of what I read.

Steve, I've read much of that same stuff. Here is something that I haven't found a clear answer to: You say the lacquer/polymer (I've read both materials), grabs the chamber walls, others say it aids in extraction. Elite Ammunition says they polish the chambers, I assume this is because they make their own brass, and it doesn't have the coating, and so indicates the coating is slicker than brass, and aids in extraction. Either way FN isn't saying. I wonder is anyone has tried putting moly on them? It'd be kinda messy.
    Other points: Definitely agree on hand weighing charges in those little cases, and using a fairly bulky powder. I haven't bought dies either, and probably won't need to until the Dems get back in.

Steve, I've read much of that same stuff. Here is something that I haven't found a clear answer to: You say the lacquer/polymer (I've read both materials), grabs the chamber walls, others say it aids in extraction. Elite Ammunition says they polish the chambers, I assume this is because they make their own brass, and it doesn't have the coating, and so indicates the coating is slicker than brass, and aids in extraction. Either way FN isn't saying. I wonder is anyone has tried putting moly on them? It'd be kinda messy.
    Other points: Definitely agree on hand weighing charges in those little cases, and using a fairly bulky powder. I haven't bought dies either, and probably won't need to until the Dems get back in.

You gave me some info I didn't know about with EA, interesting, thanks.

After digging around on this topic a bit, I'm reminded of "Flick" in the Christmas Story who calls bullshit on freezing his tongue to the flagpole. I've been to a bunch of other sites, and all I hear is 'fluke', one time lucky SOB, etc. The guys in denial of what this round will do are just like Flick. They talk their talk then walk around with a bandage on their tongue 'cause it got freeze-burned. Of course, it did take the vaunted "triple dog-dare"...