• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changed Stock On My Savage MKII-FVT

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Well, here it is. I call it, "From crap to that."

Wasn't overly happy with the synthetic stock this rifle came with some years back, and I've been wanting to change it to a laminated stock. I saw Numrich had a Savage MKII-LR (for the .17HM2) stock for $60.00, and figured that since the .17HM2 is a necked down .22lr, I could make this stock work, and it does with some dremel work. The stock is actually for the longer receiver, but it really doesn't make any difference. There's about a 3.50 inch long gap on each side of the barrel in front of this rifle's Receiver, but it doesn't effect anything, and I could laminate some wood in this area if I feel I need to. Also, I had to get two longer screws from DIP. I still need to install swivel studs for the sling and bipod, but other then getting a bit of decent weather to test this new setup, it's done. I feel this will give me a better platform when shooting this rifle in it's Aperture Sight & Scope configuration. I'm happy with it, and I saved some money by getting this stock and altering it. It's the stock configuration I was wanting.

Here is a picture of the rifle with its Aperture Sights. Also I've added the bi-pod and sling, so this rifle is ready to go as soon as I get decent weather to get to the range.

How does the new stock work with the irons? Everything line up proper for ya?

How does the new stock work with the irons? Everything line up proper for ya?

Works fine, no problems. Last 5 shots I took yesterday on a quick trip to the Range, had about a 3/8 inch group from 25 yards - this was with the sling and me just leaning over the snow covered bench. TQ-3/1 Target (X X 10 10 9) - not to shabby.

Thanks. Can hardly wait to give it a good workout as soon as the weather is permitting.