• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster Issues and Solutions IMO

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So I've heard of some of you guys bitch about the Chargemaster and having the display show faulty results. Being all over the place. It never happened to me, not in ten years. Figured I got a good one.

Then I ordered a Lyman funnel pan and positioned the Chargemaster closer to my .50 press for convenience (which put it directly under a CFL swing lamp). Then I started having problems with the display. Over, under, hell, it was hard to say WHAT it was. I moved it from under the CFL and it did a little better but still doing it.

So I noticed some grains being stuck to the pan after emptying and I also noticed it stripping a few grains out of the tube each time I put the pan back, despite not touching the tube. Yep, we got static electricity ladies and gents!

Went back to the original aluminum pan and put the Chargemaster back where it was and bingo, no more problems. I should note I don't use a magnet on the power cable, I couldn't find it or else it's behind the LR television. Either way, it's not really needed, not for me, my problem was with the pan and light. But if you have electrical issues related to the cord, the donut magnet should be the solution. You can also use dieltcric grease on the connection where it plugs in and if you have cut that wire and spliced it back together for any reason, you wanna use dielectric grease inside the caps or beanies you used to splice with.

If you have a Chargemaster that's been giving you grief, I'd look into those solutions as well as others. But this happened INSTANTLY to me after over ten years, and was fixed just as fast as it started.

Turns out those digital scales are VERY sensitive to static electricity it would seem! Too bad they aren't lined in ESD plastic. Oh well. That ain't gonna stop me from getting another to speed things up.

Figured I'd mention this since it's a common problem that never happened to me, then when it did, I was able to determine the cause and fix it. Hoping this helps others with the Chargemaster because it's truly a great piece of loading gear --when it works of course.

Good luck to all with a Chargemaster, if you have static electricity around it, try mitigating all of that first. The closer it is to the scale, the worse the results.

One approach is anti-static spray applied in the powder path. I used it with success when I was employing the Dillon powder system.

Another thing I would do was to add a grounded power cord with only the grounding lead in use, applying that lead directly to a bare spot on the press frame.

I have some reservations about the Chargemaster and finding a place to attach the grounding wire, since it requires disassembly that disturbs the stickers certifying when the warrantee is voided. However, reading accounts about attempts to apply that warrantee makes me wonder whether it's really much more than vaporware.

Greg

I talked to RCBS yesterday about some concerns that I had about my 10/10 scale when checking the the chargemaster lite against the 10/10. I told them that I was using the 10/10 pan on both scales and was getting a .2+ grain diff. They told me very clearly to only use the 10/10 pan on the 10/10, and the CM pan on the CM. Apparently the CM is programmed to deal with its pan only. Is this a real thing? I dunno. But when I tried it, the variance dropped to about .1+/-. I still have concerns about my 10/10, but the CM lite seems to be doing its job just fine.

Yep. Dryer sheets to wipe it all down prior to use inside, outside, and in my plastic funnels. I use the aluminum pan. Make sure bench top flourescent light is off since it is in close proximity (< 2 ft). Same for the TV mounted next to the reloading bench. Not sure if it causes any interference or not, but why take the chance. I was having some issues with my chargemaster until I did all that. Plus a 3/4" length of Mcdonalds drinking straw in the end of the dispenser to help keep clumps of powder from dropping during the final trickle phase. Now it runs pretty damn well.

Okay, I FINALLY experienced the problem you guys have with the wandering scale. I also fixed it.

I'm not sure what caused it, at one point I was using a CFL lamp directly over it, BUT the main change was that I got a Lyman powder pan, a "Powder Pal". It's a handy tool, IF it wasn't so troublesome. This thing came with such a charge that it would strip powder out of the trickler no matter how careful you were at putting the pan back.

I moved the scale back to where it normally sits and went back to the aluminum pan that came with it and it went away as fast as it started.

So for you guys with problems with wandering scales, it's probably due to some type of electrical interference (of course). I'd try isolating it from anything that can cause that, including lamps and charged items like plastic pans for instance.

If it's in the power supply, you'll need to condition that or else use a magnet around the power cable. That's about all I have on it.

But you can definitely tell if there's a problem, if it wanders, you'll know it.

I'd still like a second one to speed things up.

Hmm... I don’t have static problems with 3 of my CM’s. But then again every bulb in my reloading room is LED. Including my work lamp with magnifier..

Hmm... I don’t have static problems with 3 of my CM’s. But then again every bulb in my reloading room is LED. Including my work lamp with magnifier..

Same here. I have CM and CM lite and all leds. Never have had a problem.