• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster Lite - overthrow issues?

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
How many overthrows is normal with the CM Lite? I’m using 4350 and yes, I know extruded powders has issues with the CM’s.

I’m in the middle of doing a couple hundred rounds and after 75 throws I’ve counted 10 that were overthrows. Not crazy, usually .2 over.

Is that just about average and deal with it for the convenience, or a more than normal!?

Thanks.

Can't tell you how many is normal but I have had as many as three in a row with H4350. H4350 seems to be the worst trickling powder I have. My highest overthrow was .2 like yours. I am just living with it at the moment.

Is your dispensing tube bushed or are you using a straw? Can you manipulate the feed rates like you can on a 1500? I don't know how to explain this, but when the unit downshifts into lower speeds, you want single kernels coming out, not clumps of them.
By speeding the feed rate or tightening the gaps of gear changes on the 1500, that is what you are trying to do.

What Milo 2.5 is saying is that you can re-program the CM 1500 to slow it’s speed down either closer or farther from the target weight. There are three speeds and the unit shifts into slower speed as it gets closer to the target weight. If the final slowdown is too close to the target, you'll often get an overthrow. Do some research and see if the CM Lite can also be re-programmed.

Reactions: Lunchbox27 and Fig
From my understanding you can’t reprogram the Lite. But yeah, it turns slow as it’s trickling the final grains, but clumps are obviously coming out and causing the overthrows.

Still better than using a beam scale, just wondering if my unit is doing it too often.

Mine does this as well. Going to try the straw trick here soon, but kinda chapped that the “new” dispenser tube hasnt fixed this issue. Also, Ive thought about programming to .1gr under and using my hand trickler to add the final .1

Reactions: Olen_4504
Certain powders don't meter very well. I was using a Chargemaster before I bought the FX120i with auto-thrower. Even when I used the bushing with the smaller insert, Reloder 16 didn't trickle very well and I still ended up with overthrows, though not as often as I did before I used the bushing and insert. Some of it is due to the size of the kernels. Reloder 16 isn't cut as neatly as say Varget, where one kernel is consistently 0.02 grains, so one kernel might be 0.002, the next 0.003, etc. Reprogramming and the bushing helped quite a bit, but I think you're going to have to live with an overthrow here and there if you can't reprogram the CM Lite.

Certain powders don't meter very well. I was using a Chargemaster before I bought the FX120i with auto-thrower. Even when I used the bushing with the smaller insert, Reloder 16 didn't trickle very well and I still ended up with overthrows, though not as often as I did before I used the bushing and insert. Some of it is due to the size of the kernels. Reloder 16 isn't cut as neatly as say Varget, where one kernel is consistently 0.02 grains, so one kernel might be 0.002, the next 0.003, etc. Reprogramming and the bushing helped quite a bit, but I think you're going to have to live with an overthrow here and there if you can't reprogram the CM Lite.

Interesting. I’ve used RL16 and H4895 with no over throws with the insert. I’m sure everyone’s experience varies. But it definitely does help there’s no doubt about it

Slows the throw time down, but not a huge deal for me

Interesting. I’ve used RL16 and H4895 with no over throws with the insert. I’m sure everyone’s experience varies. But it definitely does help there’s no doubt about it

Slows the throw time down, but not a huge deal for me

It could be my lot. I tested RL16 when it was first introduced, had excellent velocities, accuracy, and temp stability results, and at the time finding H4350 was incredibly difficult, so I stocked up on 32 pounds. It's possible their manufacturing process has improved, since my stuff was some of the first to hit the shelves

Last edited:
My chargemaster would over throw 50% of the time with h4350 and not a little bit either, both bushings included.
I said screw it after a week or two and got an fx120i and it was the second best thing I’ve done after the giraud.

Maybe it’s the tilt of the machine, maybe it’s jist bad luck. Everything else was gravy though. Just h4350 that gave me issues.

Just purchased a cm lite think I need to buy a insert before I start. Did make up a tension retainer for the powder drain valve so it would not get bumped open or forget to close it (Springs closed)just a rubber band.

Attachments

• 6EC6AB5A-A78A-4348-B162-25FE5AD29206.jpeg
    6EC6AB5A-A78A-4348-B162-25FE5AD29206.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 54
My chargemaster would over throw 50% of the time with h4350 and not a little bit either, both bushings included.
I said screw it after a week or two and got an fx120i and it was the second best thing I’ve done after the giraud.

Maybe it’s the tilt of the machine, maybe it’s jist bad luck. Everything else was gravy though. Just h4350 that gave me issues.

I have two and have the same problem. I'm pretty sure some people think I'm making it up. I tried the straws, bushings, anti static mat and ferrite chokes.

Reactions: spife7980
Overthrowing 50% of the time would be maddening. I’m at about 15 in 100.
I’m going to try the bushing. If I was getting 50% I’d call RCBS.

Quick update: bought the insert. Loaded 100 rounds with 4350. Zero overthrows. Impressive. Average time of 40 secs per throw of 42 gr. Slower, but worth it imho.

Thats normal with chargemasters. A mcdonalds straw cut 2 inches long and inserted in the tube with alittle sticking out helps some. Save your money and buy an fx120i scale with the adams trickler when you decide to get serious.

Just revisiting this thread. My Chargemaster Lite has been bullet proof until H4350. Every other powder I’ve run through it for the last 6-7 months has been 100% on the button - not kidding. But the last two reloading sessions with H4350 has thrown over by a grain or two about 30-40% of the time. Beyond annoying.

the eBay item listed above doesn’t seem to be available anymore... someone mentioned he’s a member here. Does he have a website? Sounds like it was a good fix for the OP.

THX!

Reactions: chevy327
Just revisiting this thread. My Chargemaster Lite has been bullet proof until H4350. Every other powder I’ve run through it for the last 6-7 months has been 100% on the button - not kidding. But the last two reloading sessions with H4350 has thrown over by a grain or two about 30-40% of the time. Beyond annoying.

the eBay item listed above doesn’t seem to be available anymore... someone mentioned he’s a member here. Does he have a website? Sounds like it was a good fix for the OP.

THX!

Literally just had to google “chargemaster reducing insert eBay”

Reactions: spife7980
With stick powders I underthrow .5gr on a Chargemaster (sleeved) and then trickle on an Ohaus triple beam. It's more accuracy than necessary, but it gives me 100% confidence every round is exactly the same.

Reactions: quikcolin
I have one of these inserts and it really cut down on overthrows. Like maybe 1 out of 100 now rather than 15-20. I use a ton of H4350 and it’s much better than without the insert. That being said, the motor started making noise and the spindle was turning slow and erratically recently. Called RCBS and they had me send it back and sent me a new one. Very happy with their CS as they state they won’t warranty it if it’s over a year old. Mine was a little past the one year mark.

Reactions: quikcolin and Fig
Straw with a crown cut in the end dropped my overthrows to zero with my CM Lite.

H4350 was problematic for me, the straw helped. Moving the straw in and out helped quite a bit. Now I get maybe one overthrow out of ten.

I bought the inserts from MK machining. I’ve had no issues with over throwing
Have a link to the MK machining insert? And just to confirm - you are using it with the Chargemaster Lite?

Think I got it. Couldn't find it at first.

Just thought I would update everyone. I ordered one of the reducing sleeve as seen above (eBay item). It’s amazing. By design it’s slower (as the hole is now smaller) but I have filled 150 cases with H4350 and have yet to throw an over charge. It’s awesome! Highly recommend