• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Chargemaster + straw = greatness

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I finally got around to adding the straw to my Chargemaster and now it works like it should. I always had a little trouble with varget and such. Now i get one over out a hundred.

If you haven't done it yet, DO IT! I think my straw was from sonic.

Re: Chargemaster + straw = greatness

Yes, it works better. I recheck all my chargemaster loads on a laboratory scale accurate to .02 grains. The chargemaster charges are plus or minus .06 of a grain or .12 grains variance even though the unit says it is dead on. I don't like a .1 grain variance. I always recheck.

I guess all you guys have different straw suppliers...or I have a different Chargemaster. I can find NO straw that fits.

McDonalds seem to work great. Bigger and no need to use tape to hold in place.

Try this: Cut two pieces 1/2" long, split one lengthwise, slide the uncut one inside the other and install both inside the feed tube. Worked several years for me.

I just rolled up a piece of paper that was about 1x2 inches and stuffed it in there and it has worked for thousands of rounds. Adding the paper and reprograming it has got it down to about 12 seconds per throw of 34 grains of varget with very little overthrows.

Have done the McDonalds straw, it greatly reduced the variance between throws.

My issue is... my chargemaster/scale combo throws are consistently "light" compared to another scale (Dillon). Which presents a quandary... a 24.2grain throw of Varget (or whatever) from the chargemaster is a different weight than a 24.2grain throw from the powder measure on my press.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's only really an issue while working up a load for "quantity", but hate having to keep, in effect, two different load records depending on how the powder was thrown.

So what you are saying is that you can throw a 24.2 grain charge from the chargemaster combo and it will read 24.2 grains on it but when you weigh that same charge thrown by the chargemaster on the Dillon scale, it reads less than 24.2 or what ever the chargemaster said?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sledracr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My issue is... my chargemaster/scale combo throws are consistently "light" compared to another scale (Dillon). Which presents a quandary... a 24.2grain throw of Varget (or whatever) from the chargemaster is a different weight than a 24.2grain throw from the powder measure on my press.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's only really an issue while working up a load for "quantity", but hate having to keep, in effect, two different load records depending on how the powder was thrown. </div></div>

Check weights would be the best thing here.
You can probably get by with weighing some good bullets like lapua or berger, SMK would be ok for a ballpark, but they can be off a little one way or the other. With some form of check weight you can tell if your chargemaster or your Dillon is off. They can't both be right. Also, after typing the above I realized the chargemaster already has two calibration weights on it, just weigh those on the Dillon. However, you might be more accurate by getting a real set of check weights, the chargemaster cal weights I guess could be off. Mine were spot on compared to check weights.

Midway has an RCBS set on sale currently:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=493216

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sledracr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have done the McDonalds straw, it greatly reduced the variance between throws.

My issue is... my chargemaster/scale combo throws are consistently "light" compared to another scale (Dillon). Which presents a quandary... a 24.2grain throw of Varget (or whatever) from the chargemaster is a different weight than a 24.2grain throw from the powder measure on my press.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's only really an issue while working up a load for "quantity", but hate having to keep, in effect, two different load records depending on how the powder was thrown. </div></div>

Just a thought: If you use your scale EVERY time you load would it honestly matter? IF you develop your own loads by trial and error you would never know if "24.2" was honestly "24.2" unless you checked it against another scale. As long as it shoots good that all that matters. Consistency I think is the most important ingredient.

I use the Macdonalds straw.WCC-860 never a problem.
IMR 5010 kinda touchy.