• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis for Winchester M70?

ykrvak

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm looking to dump my McM HTG and restock my LA M70 SS classic . I've been searching the web and have see that MDT claims to have a chassis for it. However, I haven't been able to find anything for a M70 at all on their site. Is anyone making a chassis for a LA M70 anymore? Or am I stuck with a long wait for a fiberglass replacement? thanks.

Thanks 308G, I'll give them another look. I didn't see anything for a LA in their offerings. I used to have a rifle in an AICS and I know I've read about people milling them out to fit a M70 action. Is this option really practical or is it pretty much a lashup that weakens the chassis considerably? I'm going to place a couple calls to Manners and MCM just to see what the options and time frames are with them. Would love a Manners mini chassis, but it doesn't appear that is an option for that action either.

You will have to call them I don't think it is on there website good luck, I have a 308 in an A-5 that I had to wait for 7 or 8 months if memory serves me

There's a problem that has yet to be solved here I'm afraid.

Take any M70 action and look at the bottom of it closely. Better yet, lay a scale across the thing and see what happens. It's like rolling hills. There's bumps, low spots, twists, etc... The M70 is a great action, my personal favorite, but they do take a fair amount of effort to clean up and straighten out.

The challenge here for stock makers and chassis block configurations is sorting out an elegant way where one size will fit all. To my knowledge, this has not been solved just yet. It might explain why you're hitting a brick wall on this.

Thanks for the insight. If that's the case then I can certainly see the challenges in producing a chassis that would work reliably without at least being skim bedded. I made the call and ordered another McM for it as I could get one of the ready for inlet in 4-6 weeks instead of six months and I'll just have to bed it. I was really thinking of going with one of the A-3 variants but settled for a Game Warden Adj which I think will be close enough that I'll be happy with it.