• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis/Inlet for Ultimatum Deadline

I picked up a couple ACC's during the black Friday deal for my Deadline's. I only grabbed for Rem 700 as I didn't see anything specific to them at that time. In trying them, it looks like the rear screw is a bit too long.

What's the best way for me to get these squared away and working like they should?

Do I need the shorter catch?

A spacer or extra washer on the rear screw?

Thanks,

G

I picked up a couple ACC's during the black Friday deal for my Deadline's. I only grabbed for Rem 700 as I didn't see anything specific to them at that time. In trying them, it looks like the rear screw is a bit too long.

What's the best way for me to get these squared away and working like they should?

Do I need the shorter catch?

A spacer or extra washer on the rear screw?

Thanks,

G

@MDT_Josh should be able to help you out.

I'm sure he can. After doing a little playing I can understand the need for a shim...

I'm sure he can. After doing a little playing I can understand the need for a shim...

Thanks for the tag @kthomas . Your best bet is to get hold of our support team (support tab on the website) and we'll send you out the correct hardware kit for the Deadline (shorter mag latch kit and spacer for the rear action screw). Additionally, I would recommend that you torque your front action screw to 60 lb•in and loctite it, then torque the rear action screw to 40 lb•in and loctite it. Either that or you can skim bed the rear tang to support it.

Josh

Reactions: kthomas
I just put a long action Deadline in the CIP length ACC and I rang into the issue of not being able to cycle or insert the bolt when tightened. Ultimatum suggested to install a setscrew right behind the rear action bolt and was able to torque to 60 inch pounds and run the bolt smoothly. All seems well after my first range trip except the magazine is sitting too low to feed the last round from the magazine. .

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I just put a long action Deadline in the CIP length ACC and I rang into the issue of not being able to cycle or insert the bolt when tightened. Ultimatum suggested to install a setscrew right behind the rear action bolt and was able to torque to 60 inch pounds and run the bolt smoothly. All seems well after my first range trip except the magazine is sitting too low to feed the last round from the magazine. .
If you are bolting over we should have a slightly longer latch which should fix your issue, please send us an e-mail through our support portal and we can look into this for you.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Anyone drop one in the JP Enterprise APAC chassis? I know the JP MR-19 uses the Deadline action was wondering if JP has to modify the APAC for the MR-19 build?
Thanks

Was the "deadline fix" applied to the ESS chassis as well? Really wanna pull the trigger on an ESS, but I'm reluctant to do so if the V-Block issue is going to cause torque/bolt binding issues.

Was the "deadline fix" applied to the ESS chassis as well? Really wanna pull the trigger on an ESS, but I'm reluctant to do so if the V-Block issue is going to cause torque/bolt binding issues.

No, not yet. We can implement it if there is enough demand though :) Not sure how many requests that we get. @MDT_OFFICIAL might be able to provide a better timeline.

Josh

I definitely think the demand is there. I've seen a lot of people running the Deadline at various matches, more so than say the Delta 5, which I was surprised actually got an inlet and I've yet to see one.

I have a SA Deadline in the ESS with no issue. I did however have issue with the LA in the ACC where I am going to bed it for proper fit. Both are silky smooth!

I have a SA Deadline in the ESS with no issue. I did however have issue with the LA in the ACC where I am going to bed it for proper fit. Both are silky smooth!

Any issues with torquing down the rear action screw beyond 25 inch lbs or bolt binding on your SA ESS?

No, but that is exactly the issue I have with the LA. Don't recall if I did the rear to 45 or 60 inch pounds but no binding either way on the ESS.

That's annoying to say the least. With regards to the SA Deadline you've eased my concerns a little. I've gotten a lot of mixed sentiment from people running the SA Deadline in the ESS. Some say it runs fine and others tell me they're having to torque their rear action screw to 25 inch lbs which just doesn't sit well with me lol.

I just recently did this write-up for a different thread about the LA Deadline for another customer, which you may find useful @TVLLIVS . He has resigned to the fact that he should bed his chassis to ensure that the warping issues in the Deadline will not occur.

I'd like to clear up a few things quickly and offer my 2 Canadian cents (so 1.4 cents at current exchange ;) ).

1. Our v-block design and inletting has gone through MANY revisions throughout the 10+ years we have been making chassis and learning about how they interact with different actions. The biggest thing is that no two actions (even if they are the same footprint) interact with a stock or chassis the same way. Heck, even two actions that are the same design from the same manufacturer can act differently in the same chassis due to tolerance stackup on our end and theirs. We have done our very best to mitigate these issues be designing our bedding system to work with 99% of the actions you guys will throw in there.
  2. When installing an action into our chassis and torquing down the action screws, you will ALWAYS see those witness marks simply due to the fact that in the great battle of material strength: steel > aluminum. The witness marks are just showing the contact points/lines/faces between the action and the chassis and will show up even if the rifle is unfired (we see it all the time when testing prototypes). The only way to completely eliminate those marks is to fully surround your specific action with a semi-flexible material that will act as a buffer between the chassis and the action (ie. bedding it). Will it make it shooter better? We don't believe it will. Will it make you feel better? Maybe.
So now to answer the actual question asked by @B_w. ; yes, bedding your chassis will be the best/easiest solution to your problem. We have gone through many issues with the UP Deadline and have created a specific v-block profile to better support that inlet (as it is not a R700 SA drop in fit) on our SA variant of the ACC. I don't think that we have released it on any of our other chassis, but demand can cause us to do a run if need be. The problem is that the inherent design of the Deadline (SA and LA) causes their bolt to bind (as you found) when torqued down to recommended values.

By bedding your chassis, you will fully support the rear tang/back half of the action, which is causing you issues. The set screw method that big Jack from Up River precision came up with does work, but bedding is a better solution. You may also have to shorten the rear action screw to account for their lower cocking piece on the bolt and be sure to install the correct mag stop in their action based on which magazines you're running :)

If you have any more questions, let me know!

Josh

As for you, bedding will help for sure, and if you decide against it, then I would recommend running your front action screw (with loctite) at 65 in-lbs and your rear action screw (also with loctite) at 45 in-lbs. I have personally done this on multiple test rifles in multiple chassis without any accuracy issues.

Josh

Can MDT give us a diagram showing us where the mating inconsistencies between the Deadline and MDT chassis are in case users might want to try and modify their chassis to get the action to seat correctly? I am not getting the groups I expected out of my combo, and I am getting bolt over when loading (on all my rounds, not just the last round as mentioned earlier in the post). Both issues I am guessing are a result of the poor fit between the two. I would consider bedding it, but that would not solve my bolt over issue (my latch is barely catching my mag as is, so I don't think a longer mag catch latch would help).

I don't mind taking a dremel to a few spots if it meant that the two would mate together at the correct orientation while contacting at 85-90% of the normal interface.

If user modification isn't really an option to get a correct fit would MDT consider, for a fee, machining out existing customer chassis' to fit correctly with the Deadline action?

Thanks

Can MDT give us a diagram showing us where the mating inconsistencies between the Deadline and MDT chassis are in case users might want to try and modify their chassis to get the action to seat correctly? I am not getting the groups I expected out of my combo, and I am getting bolt over when loading (on all my rounds, not just the last round as mentioned earlier in the post). Both issues I am guessing are a result of the poor fit between the two. I would consider bedding it, but that would not solve my bolt over issue (my latch is barely catching my mag as is, so I don't think a longer mag catch latch would help).

I don't mind taking a dremel to a few spots if it meant that the two would mate together at the correct orientation while contacting at 85-90% of the normal interface.

If user modification isn't really an option to get a correct fit would MDT consider, for a fee, machining out existing customer chassis' to fit correctly with the Deadline action?

Thanks
Unfortunately, it's not something we can give out since it is protected information. Bedding will be the best bet if you want to be able to run full torque value on the action screws. As for the magazine latch, depending on what length you have now, we may be able to send you a slightly longer latch, which should help the bolt overs. It's not something that can be re-machined, which is why we have a specific inlet for the Deadline.

Resurrecting this old thread. @MDT_Josh @MDT_OFFICIAL . I see there is no ultimatum inlet option right now listed on the site for ACC, does that mean the rem700 chassis are now made to fit the ultimatum better? Or there is just no stock of ultimatum inlet chassis at the moment?

Thanks

Resurrecting this old thread. @MDT_Josh @MDT_OFFICIAL . I see there is no ultimatum inlet option right now listed on the site for ACC, does that mean the rem700 chassis are now made to fit the ultimatum better? Or there is just no stock of ultimatum inlet chassis at the moment?

Thanks
The Ultimatum will fit the ACC when you add the Deadline compatibility kit.

-Anthony