• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis that accepts SR25 magazines?

Codypage76

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
I am thinking about a RPR for the sole reason it accepts my giant box of SR25 magazines. I have heard that my money is better spent on a rem 700 platform rifle ie. Impact,defiance, bighorn. My problem is, none, not one chassis in current production accepts the SR25 magazine. Why not?

A sr25 magazine won’t insert high enough into a rem700 pattern receiver.

Two thoughts:
1) The RPR accepts both SR25 AND AICS mags but it feeds smoother with AICS mags.
2) The RPR shoots lights out, at least my 6.5 Creedmoor copy does. Boringly accurate. I have a 700 in a KRG Bravo and I can't say it shoots better.
So far my strategy is to buy modestly priced rifles and have enough left over for decent glass, rings, bipods, cases, ammo, triggers, electronics, steel, etc.
Works for me for what I do, which is mostly solo steel shooting at 600-1000. Pics from today at 1000 with my $1000 rifle.
IMG_0247.jpgIMG_0245.jpg

Reactions: cramfarm
A sr25 magazine won’t insert high enough into a rem700 pattern receiver.
I have heard this but I do not understand it. Is a RPR receiver open wide at the bottom to fit the wider magazine to get the correct height? With all of the aftermarket actions available, no one made one that is wide enough to cleanly run wider mags?

That’s like car shopping for cars that fit an old set of wheels you have laying around.

R700 pattern actions DO NOT feed reliably with double feed mags. Period.

I am thinking about a RPR for the sole reason it accepts my giant box of SR25 magazines. I have heard that my money is better spent on a rem 700 platform rifle ie. Impact,defiance, bighorn. My problem is, none, not one chassis in current production accepts the SR25 magazine. Why not?
I’m guessing the SR 25 mag is designed around the wide bolt of the large frame AR’s where the common AICS is better suited for the narrower bolt of the 700, it’s clones and other similar actions.

Go buy a rifle from Q.

That’s like car shopping for cars that fit an old set of wheels you have laying around.

R700 pattern actions DO NOT feed reliably with double feed mags. Period.
Which is interesting because the internal mag on a 700 IS Double feed...

I think that if you want to run sr25 mags- which are more reliable than aics mags in my experience- the only game in town is the RPR. With the aftermarket support for that rifle, and with the performance it is capable of, that's not a bad place to be.

Two thoughts:
1) The RPR accepts both SR25 AND AICS mags but it feeds smoother with AICS mags.
2) The RPR shoots lights out, at least my 6.5 Creedmoor copy does. Boringly accurate. I have a 700 in a KRG Bravo and I can't say it shoots better.
So far my strategy is to buy modestly priced rifles and have enough left over for decent glass, rings, bipods, cases, ammo, triggers, electronics, steel, etc.
Works for me for what I do, which is mostly solo steel shooting at 600-1000. Pics from today at 1000 with my $1000 rifle.
View attachment 7326422View attachment 7326423
when they allowed optics in Highpower I bought a RPR because I had blind magazines on all my m70 rifles so couldn't feed them for rapid fire if a scope was on top so I bought a RPR and promptly put a 260 barrel on it because I didn't want to buy dies and brass and a chamber reamer for 6.5 creedmoor and develop loads as I have been shooting 260 in highpower since 1998 and after many thousands of rounds I can usually shoot about the same loads and they work well. The rpr is never a limiting factor in how well I shoot, I think it is a great design and tremendous value and as you said better off spending money on bullets to improve shooting skills than chasing some imaginary advantage in equipment. the last barrel I put on my rpr I took to a prone match at 600 and it shot a 200 with 18 x's with my normal load of 42 gr 4350 and the next string was a 200 with 17 x's with 42 gr 414 and 140's. these scores were the highest I have ever shot especially back to back. The rifles are a little bit heavy for hunting but I use one I put in 30-284 which with 190 mk's when I took it to a practice match it shot in a 10 round string a 100 with 9 x's and they were nice tight x's also. The recoil being straight back with no drop in the stock makes the felt recoil from the 30-284 ,which is a twin to a 30-06 ballistcally ,very acceptable and I am always too close to the scope when prone so the quick length of pull adjustment is a great improvement over a stock without that adjustment

Reactions: 1911hombre
I know this is an old thread, but I’d just like to throw out that it would be damn nice to have more options for bolt rifles that use the same mags as AR-pattern rifles. A mini bolt action 223 or 300BO using the mags I already have that isn’t a $3000 Q or $500 Ruger would be sweet. Same for large frame short action rounds, minus the $500 part.