• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap non-steel core .223 for 3-gun

slate84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Brookings SD
Went to a meeting the other day for our 3-gun tourneys this year and they made mention with the targets where shooting they don't want any of what they call armor piercing ammo. So the military ball won't do. My main problem is I can't find in any descriptions of these cheaper bulk ammo which ones have a plain lead core, fmj or jhp. Any suggestions would be great. I'll also be calling the hunting shack tomorrow to ask if I can get any special pricing for being an FFL.

Re: Cheap non-steel core .223 for 3-gun

Reload or I have been looking into TULA ammo, steal case but you can get it in 55,62 or 75 grain. Will be trying some here shortly to see how it works out against Fed xm193. Another option if you dont want to shoot steal is the PMC bronze box. Its a lil cheaper than the Fed and does pretty good.

+1 on the Federal XM193 or PMC Bronze ... stay away from that steel cased crap. I like 62g bullets as it matches my ACOGs so I reload M855 clone ammo with 62g Armscor. Yah its not "match" ammo but 2.0 MOA or "so" generally about on par with M855

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.hornady.com/store/223-REM-55-GR-HP-STEEL-MATCH/</div></div>

That's what I was going to say. They also make 75grn Steel Match. I got both and they work great in 3 Gun.

PMC Bronze 55gr
Aguila 55gr (occasionally seen at the online sellers cheap)
Federal AE223 (cheap stuff) or XM193 (pricier but relatively cheap)
Remington/UMC 55gr has been quite cheap at one online seller recently
PRVI Partizan 55gr M193 clone
or the Hornady steel match mentioned above

All of those will have no steel in any part of the bullet, jacket or core.

I go with pmc bronze it's cheap and works good. I've seen it around $5.50-$6, used to get it for $4.50