• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cheap scope wanted for a ar-15 need opinions

headstrong

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
Wisconsin
This will be going on my bushmaster orc. Looking for a cheap scope. It will be used for plinking and little bit of coyote hunting. This is not a precision build. Just want something that work well. Would like it to have bullet comp with different weights. 4x12 or 6x18 somewhere around that power range. dont want a 3x9. Was looking at the BSA Sweet but reviews very. Just dont know what your getting till it come out the box. But at $70.... Trying to stay at $150 new or used. IR might be nice for coyote hunting?

This will be going on my bushmaster orc. Looking for a cheap scope. It will be used for plinking and little bit of coyote hunting. This is not a precision build. Just want something that work well. Would like it to have bullet comp with different weights. 4x12 or 6x18 somewhere around that power range. dont want a 3x9. Was looking at the BSA Sweet but reviews very. Just dont know what your getting till it come out the box. But at $70.... Trying to stay at $150 new or used. IR might be nice for coyote hunting?

Bushnell 10x40 mildot can be had used for that price. It has a mildot reticule and target knobs so just plug in your load to a ballistic calculator and the target knob becomes a BDC knob.

Friend of mine has a BSA sweet 223, I thought it was garbage but he's happy with it.

In that price range I'd stay away from anything "tactical", it's mostly going to Chinese gimmicky stuff. I'd go for a meat-and-potatoes scope with good optics and warranty like the Vortex diamondback series:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P11238.aspx

Ive heard very good things about the leupold-owned Redfield Revolution series, they're American made. Sightron S1 is
Being discounted on close outs here and there, they are Great in that price range. If you could put your budget up to $279 you could get a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 on closeout.... They compete well with some scopes in the $500 range.

Well you want a cheap scope so it really doesn't matter in the $150 range they are all going to be crap so just pick one. If you want to get realistic that's a different scenario.

Well you want a cheap scope so it really doesn't matter in the $150 range they are all going to be crap so just pick one. If you want to get realistic that's a different scenario.

Yea, that sounds just a little bit ignorant there.......

That might have been true 10yrs ago, but with advances in optics technology and manufacturing, there are plenty of decent, usable scopes around for $150
Following are three such scopes that will preform admirably for the OP, the Nikon 4-12x40mm ProStaff, the Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback, and the Bushnell Legend Rifle Scope 5-15x 40mm. All three can be found for 150-175 if you keep an eye on the WTS scope listings.

To the OP, I would personally recommend the Vortex 4-12, I have one on my 700, I use it for medium range deer hunting, the glass quality is really good for the price point........overall a excellent scope for the money.
Good Luck. :)

Last edited:
In that price range, you'd probably be best served with one of the fixed magnification Bushnell Elite scopes (10x), or one of the previously mentioned Vortex scopes, especially the Viper if your budget can get stretched a bit further.

If you have the time and patience to look around or wait for something to come up, you may be able to find a deal on a used Leupold Vari-X II or III on the cheap. I loaned a buddy of mine an OLD Leupy Vari-X II 4-12x40 AO a while back that he put on an RRA LAR-15 A4. He liked it so much he asked to buy it and I more or less gave it away. He's used it for a long while now for plinking and some varmint purposes on his farm and it is still running like it was new. Just one more thought you might consider.

As for the BSA...they are SHITE despite what you may hear to the contrary. Sure, the sun occasionally shines on a dog's ass and BSA puts out a scope that doesn't sh!t the bed in short order, but why throw good money after bad?!? Similarly, as for your thoughts on an illuminated reticle...for your budget...skip it altogether as anything with an IR in or around that price range will most assuredly be garbage.

Get a Leupold Vari-X I in 2-7X and mount it in Weaver Extra High Extended rings if it's a flattop. A good reliable setup that stays put. May not be what the cool kids use, but it works.

Might give a Mueller APT a try. I used it on one of my AR's, replaced it with a Vortex Viper, the APT is now on my M&P 15-22, works out great on that rifle. The glass is clear and I usually shot with it at 14X, pretty good for the money.

I'm curious to see how the new Redfield Battlezone works out-- it looks kind of cool for $199. 3-9x42 with Matching moa/moa, turrets that supposedly track true, and decent glass. Made in the phillipnes, like some of the quality budget scopes out there. I'm probably going to snag one for my AAC-SD 22.lr....

as of right now I have a realy pos on the gun because it was laying around. it mounted on a s.s.a.l.t. I just bought. so I can hold out in buying a scope to look for a good deal on the viper or something else that was suggested.

Vortex viper for sure. Ignore the posts about fixed power scopes. Especially at 10x. That's a shit load of power and if ur gonna use it for hunting at all its going to be next to useless.

I have a fixed 10x Bushnell Elite Tactical and I wouldn't put it on an AR unless it was a long range target AR setup only. The 10X is just too much shooting at close ranges.

... another thing about the fixed 10 power I just remembered after seeing where you mentioned coyote hunting. Being able to back off the magnification in low light is a big plus.

I just noticed CameralandNY has the discontinued Vortex Viper 2-7x32 for $199. I have one on my AR, the clarity is awesome and has 112 Moa of adjustment! I think a 2-7 is about the perfect mag range for an AR, and they are light weight (13oz). The viper series compares more to the $400 and up class of scopes to me. I think I'm going to get another one to replace an older Vari-x II on my brush rifle.

you might want to look into these.

in no particular order.

sightron SlH hunter.
weaver 40/44.
vortex cross fire ll.
vortex diamondback.
redfield revenge.
hawke varmint.
nikon prostaff.

there're several options in each above,so make sure you look into each and every one(go to their hompage,maybe download the catalog).

if it were me and i were so limited,i would save more(it's just time,right?,..but well spent,..one more week/day in the office or cutting grass,whatever your job may be) and get one of the sightron Sll bigsky or weaver grand slam. the quality in glass and turret adjustment,repeatability is where superb begins,an order of magnitude above,especially under adverse conditions. your also getting 4x mag ratio instead of 3x.

good luck.

Previous post listed a Weaver 40/44. So happens, www.natchezss.com is having a sale on the aspherical lens Weaver 40/44 models. Natchez has the 3.8-12x44 A.O. for either $120 or $130, depending on the reticle. Own a 3.8-12x44 40/44 myself and IMO its a pretty nice scope, very clear and bright glass in it. Very good buy on it, considering it probably should sell for around $170 or higher. Its made in the Philippines.

If you do want a higher power scope that fits your budget, LOL, check Graf and Sons to see what BSA Majestic DX they still have on sale. Own three of the 6-24x44 Majestic DXs. Did have all three mounted on centerfire rifles from 223 to 6.5x55, but recently moved one to a 22LR Marlin XT. Nice glass in them and it is a side focus. Graf has some of the Majestics onsale for around $40 less than what others sell them for. Its a decent scope, that I've fired a fair amount of rounds downrange when shooting paper with no problems. Worth a look. Its available in a 4-16x44 SF

+1 for Nikon Branded optics like the prostaff. The quality of glass is good, the customer service is excellent. I run Nikon 3-9 BDC on all my .22s

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC, its a bit more at $179 but well worth the money as a basic hunting scope. With the BDC reticle internal adjustment becomes irrelevant. Also, you can use the Spot On software to see what the ranging dots equate to for any of the commercially available rounds.

Coyotes are always moving. A prostaff in 3x9 or 4x12 will give you more time on target. You may not see them until they are 50 feet away. Just my experience.