• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheapest 6, 6.5, and .308 bullets for practice?

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So, I’ve upped my live fire practice by quite a bit. And doing most of it at 100yds on paper. Doesn’t make much sense to use 200 35cents Bergers a week on paper at 100z

So, cheapest Bullets that will accomplish ~.5moa?

I have had good luck with Hornady BTHP in 6mm and 7mm, shoot almost as well as the amaxes. I tried a few 75 grain BTHP (only a handful) in my 223 AI but they didn't like the load . Others have had good luck with the .224 bthps and in bulk can be had for a good price.

Hornady eldm's have shown good results for practice fodder for me. I use them in my 223 and at 20 bucks a box its a lot easier to practice with then the 37 a box bergers I use in comps.

Shooters Pro Shop has Nosler blems and seconds in from time to time. I’ve shot some of the RDF blems and I can’t see anything wrong with them. They shoot great

Shooterspro
    I haven’t had the best results with the RDFs. What load are you using?

The Nosler Custom comps are good if sorted.
    That has been my observation lately as I was having some issues with not seeing the accuracy I was expecting and then started sorting them into batches.
    The 30 cal bullets I never had any issue with it has been mostly the 123CC and seems to really help sorting them by weight and bearing surface but I'm running them around 3000fps and that may be the diifference.

My practice/ pdog loads for 6.5 is the cheapest I could find. Usually either nosler custom 140's at .19-.20/per from midsouth or for 120's, prvi's did alright (.20/per) from Graf's. Although, I wasn't too impressed with the prvi's. There's some cheaper options for 100-120gr bullets from match monster but I never tried those. Midsouth has sample bags of those if you want to try some out .

I just started using Hornady BTHP match for .24 but not convinced yet it's worth the extra 4 cents per in my rifle or my shooting ability.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    ELD Blem or seconds. If you don't mind the tip color being off :rolleyes:

The 6.5 RDF and Hornady BTHP have been on sale sub .30

I'd also add, if you're not already, create an account on Midway/ Brownells and on your birthday you'll get "special pricing " this equated to ~6¢ off per bullet on ELD-M's for me.

Thanks. Looking for bullet suggestions though as I load my own.

Hornady bthp seems like it might be the best option
    I actually recently went back to the 6.5 BTHP
    It’s a good bullet for the price.

The recent production RDF 140 and 185 impressed me.

Also the match burners are worth a look
    I have some 7mm 171 on the way to try.

I actually recently went back to the 6.5 BTHP
    It’s a good bullet for the price.

The recent production RDF 140 and 185 impressed me.

Also the match burners are worth a look
    I have some 7mm 171 on the way to try.

My 6.5cm loves the Hornady American Gunner topped with he 140BTHP. And at times can be found for .75 a round. I'll buy it in 200rd boxes and don't even bother reloading until I'm out and can't find more.

For low recoil, cheap, 100y practice on paper the 110-125gr class of .308 flat-based bullets are really good. I’ve always found light for caliber flat-base easy to get to shoot well at short distances.

Had good luck with ELDm’s on discount, Nosler RDF, hornady HPBT. Been looking at mid south shooter supply branded match bullets, I think they’re nosler base bullets? Basically anything in the .26-.28cent range per bullet , I’m in.

I have good accuracy with the Hornady 105 HPBT, but for some reason they give high SD numbers for me. However for shoo at 100 yards it will not matter.

If you buy the 2000 count eldm and hit a sale at brownells or mid south. They will come in at 27-28 cents each. That’s become my 6.5 everything bullet. Practice, match, and hunting.

My LGS is a stocking speer dealer and because I teach a ccw course through his shop I get them below the .22ea pricing for the 168's. I've used them in rifle classes with no ill effects to 600yds. The cheapest option would be hunting bullets. Sierra 165's are .19ea in the 500 count locally.They sit on the shelves for years but are the same catalog number. In my 2 308's I can interchange my load with no difference in dope. Actually shot my best group at a club shoot this league season with them.
    Look locally I know the older shops will have stuff in the back that is no longer shiny for presentation but it's the same.
    Below is a 4shot group shot with the round nose 180 core loc out of the 760 behind it. That is also not a handload just regular box ammo. @100 yds the round nosed stuff will shoot incredibly well.

Attachments

• 760.jpg
      760.jpg
      343.9 KB · Views: 45
    I like hornady 105 BTHP and 87 BTHP in 6mm and the 140s in 6.5mm. All shoot really well in my rifles.

Reactions: Ridenemwild
    Train how you fight. Or you really aren't training. And won't know if yer progressing.

You don't hafta send 100 shots down range at each training session. My usual training session is about 35 rounds.

Subscribe to Nosler’s shootersproshop emails. Besides the blems they sell, they’ve been blowing out 123 grain 6.5 mm overruns for 15-18 cents

I really like using just plain old Hornady ELD-Ms for all my ammo in my 6.5. They are cheap enough to practice with, and I have shot them at matches for years now and they have performed well for me.

One other option for the 6.5 I have not seen mentioned is the Hornady 129 SST. The downside is it is not a ton cheaper usually, but you can still save a few bucks here and there.

I am hoping someone some day comes out with a truly cheap, bulk, 6.5 fmj or something like how you can buy bulk 55 fmj for a 223.

midsouthshootersupply also has bulk bullets. Sometimes they have lots of blems for sale too. I have never ordered from them, but see them mentioned from time to time.

Train how you fight. Or you really aren't training. And won't know if yer progressing.

You don't hafta send 100 shots down range at each training session. My usual training session is about 35 rounds.

Worthless statement. I usually run 40rnds 5x a week if my plans go right.

As long as the Bullets go the same place as the more expensive ones, you’ll know exactly if you’re progressing.

Worthless statement. I usually run 40rnds 5x a week if my plans go right.

As long as the Bullets go the same place as the more expensive ones, you’ll know exactly if you’re progressing.

My method works for me. Admittedly, I don't shoot as much as you. I really like my main load, and don't mind the additional cost. I try to replicate practice and matches as much as possible.

Its kinda like how they say reloading saves money. Ha Ha Ha :) If ya got into this sport to save money.... :)

I meant no offense.

Last edited:
    Blue Collar Reloading has summa the best prices I've found.

Which bullet? TNt, sp, etc?
    In 308 I have shot the 125 TNT 130 varmint 168 match and soft point.

Speer also has a TMJ in 168 I believe that are $19 for a 100. similar to the gold dots in looks but lower BC.

And they ONLY bullet that would shoot in my 22-250 was a speer 52gr bthp match.

In 308 I have shot the 125 TNT 130 varmint 168 match and soft point.

Speer also has a TMJ in 168 I believe that are $19 for a 100. similar to the gold dots in looks but lower BC.

And they ONLY bullet that would shoot in my 22-250 was a speer 52gr bthp match.
    I can’t seem to find 125gr TNT anywhere.

I use 140 barnes match burners in my 6.5 creedmoor. Got 300 for about 80 bucks last fall.

Um...sps anyone? I just got another 2k 210 RDFs for 19 cents a pop. Main thing is to check everyday. They'll have the good shit go OOS in hours.

Overruns>blems

Does anyone bang the 123 gr BTHP by Sierra, Hornady, or Match Monsters in a 6.5?

I’m looking to build a load for a 260 Rem with the 123’s at 3,000+ FPS