• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheater rubber bands for pullups?

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I saw a video where a guy is using a rubber band between his bar and one leg while doing pullups. Any idea of what a good brand would be or what tension rating would be suitable? Seems like you would want to base it off your own body weight but not certain. Hopefully somebody here either knows what I'm referring to or is using them.

TIA

Re: Cheater rubber bands for pullups?

I've used them. They work very well. They also work for stretching and mobility, and for ring dips, etc. There are also whole workout routines using the bands. I have the rogue green band, but other manufacturers make them also. The color corresponds to how many pounds of resistance.

check them out here:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-monster-bands.php

Beachbody.com has their own. Very versatile unit.

Chin-up Max.

https://extranet.securefreedom.com/MillionDollarBody/csShopping/ShoppingCart_Detail.asp?PriceID=247404&Cat=Equipment%20and%20Gear|Chin%20up%20and%20Push%20up

I've used the Rogue ones linked above for squats. Worked very well and added some great resistance.

I use a counterweight, climbing harness, and a short section of static line for reduced weight pullups. I mounted a 2nd bar behind my pull-up rig to act as the pulley and keep the weight from hitting my knees - works great.

My wife uses them for pullups she loves them. She bought diffrent size small bands instead of the single heavy one. She removes a band as she gets stronger and is currently down to two. I'm sure she will be doing her body weight soon.

The bands are great for workouts where a larger number of pull ups than a person can do is called for. It keeps the intensity level going.

In terms of using them to help you be able to do dead hang pull ups unassisted, I don't think they are nearly as effective as doing negative reps (step or jump up to having your chin over the bar and slowly lower yourself down).

Aside of pull ups, those bands are also really useful for certain kinds of stretches. Check out the mobility WoD by Kelly Starrett.

--Fargo007

You cant go wrong with Rouge. When I started CrossFit I could not do one pull up on my own. I started on a thick band and then graduated to a thinner one.
    I have not used the bands for a long time but they helped a ton a long the way.

Rogue is very popular in crossfit. My wife uses the bands to do her pull-ups.

Start with the band and within a few weeks transition off until you can't do anymore on your own then finish with the band. Soon you won't need it.

The original is the Jump Stretch brand band. The blue ones are the strongest.