• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek riser options

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    I have a Bell & Carlson Stock on a Winchester action, eventually I would like to get a new stock, but for now I'm trying to figure out the best way to increase my cheek weld as the way my cheek naturally falls onto the existing stock is too low for alignment with my scope.

I would like to get a Triad Stock Pack and I see they also make riser kits. This is the way I am leaning, but was curious what others are using out there.

Re: Cheek riser options

Basically you have two options and depending on the height needed you can choose one of the two. The first is the stock pack like you've seen the second is the Karsten Cheek Piece. That's a real nice option too.

The Triad stock pack and a real quality product. You cant go wrong with one. Its nicely padded for your cheek and you have a little pouch to store your bolt. You can get the mongo XL size one if your rifle butt will accommodate it. Then you have more space to store stuff like a Snickers bar and your bolt.

Thank you all for your input. Mike, I have seen something similar to the Karsten cheek piece but those big bolt knobs turn me off. The positive info on the Triad Stock Pack helps solidify that decision.

I just found this Accu-riser cheek pad at Cabela's but I think the Stock Pack is going to work better especially since it has the handy pouch on the other side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suburbanhick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i make my own...painters tape.. a fiberglass kit from pepboys.....hardware from lowes.... sandpaper and some bed coating....can make 3-4 for about $10-12</div></div>
    Interesting, I saw a post where a guy had made his own simply out of whittled wood.

If the Triad Stock pack doesn't work properly I think I have some good info here, thank you.

...another forum member made me aware of the Triad stock pack, as well. Looks like a quality product that quite a few 'Hide members will recommend without hesitation.

Bill, you can get several version of the Karsten. The one I just got has Allen head hardware, as I don't like the big thumb nuts either. The hardware on mine is basically nearly flush with the cheekpiece. Adjust it with the allen tool and tighten down. Worked great, and easy to install. Just depends on how much rise you need. Most cheekpads won't get you more than 1/2 inch or so. Anything by Triad is good, though.

Thank you stockdoc, I wonder if that kit would work on my B&C stock? Do you know how much it weighs?

I believe I'm going to start out with the Triad Stock Pack and if that doesn't work I think I have a number of options to investigate from there. Thanks again everyone for your input.

I have used modeling clay to shape a custom(to me)cheek riser with good success. Use a brand that can be fired at a low teperature (oven). Your options from there can be as simple as drill/tap/and mount if your careful not to beat it up. Next, you can reverse-cast using plaster and then fiberlass or epoxy based products. Take your time and good luck.

Brilliant Derrek, that might be used to get a specific shape to go under the Triad Stock Pack if the spacers are inadequate or just don't feel quite right. This is some great info from you all...

Worse come to worse...you can always use the fail safe method. Pieces of a cut up rubber bitch and some green duct tape. Ain't pretty, but it works and is repeatable...