• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chest Rig For Competition???

RackSqueezeBang

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2019
GA
Hey guys, I've been shooting a lot of two-man sniper team type competitions these days. Unlike PRS, the stage is blind and the targets are at unknown locations and unknown distances, so targets have to be found, ranged, DOPE'd and eliminated, vs PRS where the targets and stage are known. I find myself juggling a lot of gadgets during the COF that I normally wouldn't mess with in a PRS competition, such as binos, range finder, kestral, smart phone, and any pre-stage notes if the stage is super complex.

Right now, some items I simply do without or I have a bunch of crap dangling from my neck, which is really annoying. I keep my pistol on my right hip, and two 10rnd mags and a 9mm mag on my left hip. I also use a wrist coach as there's not enough time to input data in a ballistics calculator during COF. I can't really fit anymore stuff on my belt without getting in the way of my pack. Anyone use a chest rig for these type of competitions? If so, are you using a solid rig, or a split rig. If you're using a split rig, buckles or zippers? Or is the chest rig more headache and nuisance than what its worth?

I have not run those courses but something to check out for you are the Hill People Gear chest rigs. I have used one for many years when running, hiking, mtn biking to carry a pistol. I like it a lot.

My initial thought was one of these FHF bino pouches but I see they have another chest rig now too that might be useful.

I've got a Hill People Gear kit bag as well. I like it a lot, but it's designed to carry your pistol there & I don't think you want to do that.

Reactions: RackSqueezeBang
Just a thought so take it for what it is. What are the other two-man teams utilizing in these competitions and what is the general consensus on recommended gear? I don't shoot in these comps but I would imagine that there is a gear list that most of those involved in these types of shooting events will generally follow in terms of what most teams will use to carry gear. Granted, there is always personal preferences but most shooting sports gravitate to specific gear. In other words, if teams A, B, and C are utilizing "X" and they are successful, chances are, other teams will also employ the same or similar gear. Approach some of the better teams and discuss gear and placement and I am sure they would be more than supportive in giving you advice on better ways to carry gear and maybe help you eliminate gear that you may not need.

For binos, I’ve found that the Spiritus Systems Fanny SACK fits my Swaro 10x42 SLC perfectly. Being a fanny pack, I can spin it around my waist to my back for prone stages. I also used the Micro Fight chest rig from Spiritus for mags, LRF, and misc stuff vice having it on my belt. It worked out well since I could set it high enough on my chest to not significantly affect going prone.

I dont compete, but I carry a lot of extra crap (mil) like binos, nods, tools, spare batteries and chemlights, lasers, maps & markers, gps/compass, radios, etc.

What works for me is a slim battle belt and a haley chest rig up high with my mags and radios and a few other items and keeping as much as possible low and tight on my belt. I dont like the split chest rigs as they're too tall and wide, keep a lot of heat, waste center of chest space (unless you get a big pouch to cover the split) and just take up too much real estate.

If you're carrying more stuff than you used to, look at a inner/outer belt and think about putting pouches on your back instead of the sides. They'll take up less-valuable real estate and wont get in your way, but need to be things you dont need often.

I'd look at the haley rigs, and then move on later to extreme gear labs, he will modify or rebuild a chest rig to however you want (if you want a bigger center pouch for binos, for example). There are tons of options.

I wanted to try this method out. I got an HSGI AO chest rig. From my right to my left I have two pistol tacos, two rifle tacos, and an AR mag pouch that can easily hold my Kestrel and other small stuff. The Kestrel position was important to me because it’ll feed data to the Sig 3000 LRF/binos and this keeps them close enough.

I like it because it doesn’t protrude far enough to get in the way of going prone (not that we get many shots from prone) and it keeps everything in the area your hands are already in. I find it’s easier to go to my chest from holding a rear bag or the rifle with my left hand than it is to get to my waist.

It’s also nice for the matches that require movement with your gear or starting with your gear on. Sometimes hip belts tend to grab all your stuff and rip it loose when you take your pack off.

My only gripe is it’s a bit hot, but I’m a sweaty person, so everything is hot to wear. PM me if you want pics or anything. (Of my chest rig setup, I’m not sending you pictures of my sweaty self.)

My friend and I have done quite a bit of this. We've found its best to have binoculars for both shooter and spotter as the targets can be hard to find. Spotter should have a spotting scope and laser range finder both on a tripod as its hard to range long targets with a handheld LRF.

For ballistics, as you point out the Kestral is too slow so we use a large dope chart in a plastic sleeve that has dope and wind offset columns for various conditions. I also keep a small pad of paper (waterproof paper is best) to record each shot as its easy to lose track in the heat of battle. Often you can refer to the dope from a previous target to adjust dope for a similar range target. A mil-dot master can be handy for hard to lase targets so we usually both have one of those on hand as well, but you need to learn to use it first.

On same page I will often draw a quick range card (map) of the area as sometimes you'll spot more than one target and need to find it again which can be hard. Also you can put landmarks on the map as walking the shooter into a target you have spotted can be the hardest part of the whole thing (its near the tree - which tree?)

Assuming you have the LRF and spotting scope on a tripod, the only thing really hanging around your neck is the binoculars. I keep my pad of paper, extra pens/pencils and my mil-dot master in a little nylon pouch so its all together, and then shove that into my pocket or pack between stations.

What the heck I posted and it didn’t post. Let me try this again. I’ve used the tyr tactical COMA system. It ain’t cheap though

The TYR looks perfect except price. I didn't want to invest that much just yet, but we'll see.

My friend and I have done quite a bit of this. We've found its best to have binoculars for both shooter and spotter as the targets can be hard to find. Spotter should have a spotting scope and laser range finder both on a tripod as its hard to range long targets with a handheld LRF.

For ballistics, as you point out the Kestral is too slow so we use a large dope chart in a plastic sleeve that has dope and wind offset columns for various conditions. I also keep a small pad of paper (waterproof paper is best) to record each shot as its easy to lose track in the heat of battle. Often you can refer to the dope from a previous target to adjust dope for a similar range target. A mil-dot master can be handy for hard to lase targets so we usually both have one of those on hand as well, but you need to learn to use it first.

On same page I will often draw a quick range card (map) of the area as sometimes you'll spot more than one target and need to find it again which can be hard. Also you can put landmarks on the map as walking the shooter into a target you have spotted can be the hardest part of the whole thing (its near the tree - which tree?)

Assuming you have the LRF and spotting scope on a tripod, the only thing really hanging around your neck is the binoculars. I keep my pad of paper, extra pens/pencils and my mil-dot master in a little nylon pouch so its all together, and then shove that into my pocket or pack between stations.

Yeah, we're definitely on the same page. Although last match at Snipers Unknown, we actually didn't use the binos and were able to spot almost all targets through our scopes. We saved time by alternating shots where allowable rather than spot for each other. You guys work fast if you have time to make a range card! But then again, my gear isn't as handy, so we don't take the time to do all of that.

Definitely gonna bring my mil-dot master... You know the match directors set up those hard to range targets intentionally! I have a Zero Comp coming in a few days, so i'm curious how well the ranging fatal will work in the impact 3 reticle. That could be a huge time saver.

Never used a spotting scope though. Mine is a razor 27-60. The field of view can be tough with that big thing, but might be worth changing my strategy.

Ha, which tree. I'd love to watch a married couple shoot together and try to get each other on target. Talk about communication skills!

So at the end of the day, a small pouch is all you need?

I wanted to try this method out. I got an HSGI AO chest rig. From my right to my left I have two pistol tacos, two rifle tacos, and an AR mag pouch that can easily hold my Kestrel and other small stuff. The Kestrel position was important to me because it’ll feed data to the Sig 3000 LRF/binos and this keeps them close enough.

I like it because it doesn’t protrude far enough to get in the way of going prone (not that we get many shots from prone) and it keeps everything in the area your hands are already in. I find it’s easier to go to my chest from holding a rear bag or the rifle with my left hand than it is to get to my waist.

It’s also nice for the matches that require movement with your gear or starting with your gear on. Sometimes hip belts tend to grab all your stuff and rip it loose when you take your pack off.

My only gripe is it’s a bit hot, but I’m a sweaty person, so everything is hot to wear. PM me if you want pics or anything. (Of my chest rig setup, I’m not sending you pictures of my sweaty self.)

How does it not get in the way of going prone. Is it how high it sits on your chest? Or do you keep stuff off to the side?

I dont compete, but I carry a lot of extra crap (mil) like binos, nods, tools, spare batteries and chemlights, lasers, maps & markers, gps/compass, radios, etc.

What works for me is a slim battle belt and a haley chest rig up high with my mags and radios and a few other items and keeping as much as possible low and tight on my belt. I dont like the split chest rigs as they're too tall and wide, keep a lot of heat, waste center of chest space (unless you get a big pouch to cover the split) and just take up too much real estate.

If you're carrying more stuff than you used to, look at a inner/outer belt and think about putting pouches on your back instead of the sides. They'll take up less-valuable real estate and wont get in your way, but need to be things you dont need often.

I'd look at the haley rigs, and then move on later to extreme gear labs, he will modify or rebuild a chest rig to however you want (if you want a bigger center pouch for binos, for example). There are tons of options.

I thought about a battle belt, but it really gets in the way of my pack, so that limits me from carrying stuff at the back of a belt.

Just a thought so take it for what it is. What are the other two-man teams utilizing in these competitions and what is the general consensus on recommended gear? I don't shoot in these comps but I would imagine that there is a gear list that most of those involved in these types of shooting events will generally follow in terms of what most teams will use to carry gear. Granted, there is always personal preferences but most shooting sports gravitate to specific gear. In other words, if teams A, B, and C are utilizing "X" and they are successful, chances are, other teams will also employ the same or similar gear. Approach some of the better teams and discuss gear and placement and I am sure they would be more than supportive in giving you advice on better ways to carry gear and maybe help you eliminate gear that you may not need.

Hindsight, I should have paid closer attention. But I also think the two man sniper format is gaining in popularity and most people are still more set up for a PRS style event. But that may be just an excuse to be tacti-cool and buy a chest rig, haha.

How does it not get in the way of going prone. Is it how high it sits on your chest? Or do you keep stuff off to the side?

Wear it up on your chest, not down around your belly. Prone shots still have your chest up off the ground. And I didn’t use pouches that stacked just so they wouldn’t stick out so far. Prone is no trouble with it on.

What squad were you in at Sniper’s Unknown?

I don't compete but I just got one of these chest rigs for my Beretta Px4 Subcompact....they make additional shells for more pistols than I can count including my Colt 1903 M.....

cloak-chest-holster-for-semiauto.jpg

Works great for me and seems built pretty well for what it costs. Adjustable to fit like a glove. I'm impressed. Might at least get some stuff off yer belt and make room for something else.

VooDoo

I thought about a battle belt, but it really gets in the way of my pack, so that limits me from carrying stuff at the back of a belt.

I actually mount my chest rig directly to a camelback. I keep my dump pouch or a small admin pouch right in the middle of my back on my belt so I can still sit in vehicles straight or move around without my pack rubbing on it.

Everyone will wear their gear differently, it's all comes down to what works for you. A couple of my guys are all about the fanny packs mounted in front directly on their belt. They got cheaper ones and sewed on velcro and bungee and throw their tq on top or a spare mag or some mission specific item, and then keep small parts or spare batteries or their maps (probably more like snacks) in the pouch.

I don't compete but I just got one of these chest rigs for my Beretta Px4 Subcompact....they make additional shells for more pistols than I can count including my Colt 1903 M.....

View attachment 7458340

Works great for me and seems built pretty well for what it costs. Adjustable to fit like a glove. I'm impressed. Might at least get some stuff off yer belt and make room for something else.

VooDoo

I like the idea of those for being out in the field hunting and such, but I bet an RO in a match would shit a brick if you wore one to a match.

858A34AB-5DFD-489D-943E-605CC50202E4.jpeg

This is how I had it set up. If it’s high on your chest it doesn’t cause problems in the prone. If you were to slide it down high on your belly or on your belly then it would be a pain, but up on your chest is fine.

When in position your support hand is already up, either on the barricade, tripod, scope, or rear bag. You have to cross your chest to get to your belt.

For 2-man team matches I run a Hill People gear Heavy Recon kit bag with their bino pouch and 2 pistol/rifle tacos on the front. I don't run my pistol in it, it goes on my belt (right side) with another 2 pistol/rifle tacos (left side) and dump pouch (rear). My Kilo 3000s go in the bino pouch, a rifle mag in the left taco and either another rifle mag or my Kestrel (which is dummy corded to the Kit Bag) in the right taco (depending on how you start the stage, mag-in, etc). I keep some admin stuff in the kit bag, energy bar, scope cloth, backup dope charts, spare grease pen, batteries.

My partner and I both have Kilo 3000s that pair to our Kestrels and our dope lines up so we can range/get dope for the targets quickly, write them on our wrist coaches and off we go. It's a lot nicer to be able to drop binos back into a bino case on your chest instead of on your belt as well as having your Kestrel right there. Running the Kit Bag on your chest isn't a huge deal for prone since it'll just slide up, not to mention that there aren't that many actual prone stages anyways. If I thought I'd be shooting a ton of prone stages, I might go back to my HSGI battle belt with suspenders and a pouch for my binos on the right side in front of my pistol.

Wear it up on your chest, not down around your belly. Prone shots still have your chest up off the ground. And I didn’t use pouches that stacked just so they wouldn’t stick out so far. Prone is no trouble with it on.

What squad were you in at Sniper’s Unknown?

That's good advise to wear it up higher. It's not often we shoot prone, but it still happens and that stuff can get in the way. So you never feel the need for a zippered or buckled front panel?

I was in squad 3.

View attachment 7458389

This is how I had it set up. If it’s high on your chest it doesn’t cause problems in the prone. If you were to slide it down high on your belly or on your belly then it would be a pain, but up on your chest is fine.

When in position your support hand is already up, either on the barricade, tripod, scope, or rear bag. You have to cross your chest to get to your belt.

I like this setup, seems pretty minimal. I'd probably keep more admin and optics there, but the concept is the same for sure. Thanks for the pic and advice!

How many of these matches do you shoot a year? And what are their names and locations?

2-3 a year, but hopefully more. I've been shooting The Guardian Long Range Competition and Sniper Unknown Challenge. Locations vary, especially Guardian as they hold matches all year round.

Reactions: reubenski

View attachment 7458340

VooDoo

Looks like an awesome rig, but there's no way id risk scratching up my pistol when going prone. Cool rig though.

I'm not competing in those matches, but for hunting I use the FHF bino harness with a kestrel pouch off of the left lower harness. I use the Leica HD-B's which can provide elevation correction data, and the kestrel is my "back-up" or what I use for a 'long range' wind solution (I also keep a hard copy dope card in the small zipper pocket).

If I were you, I'd look to minimize the number of devices that you are using, and then look for a pouch/harness to effectively manage that lesser gear. Combine the binos and rangefinder. Ditch the phone. Just use RF Binos and kestrel.

+ 1 on the recommendation for the Hills People Gear kit bags.

I'm currently running the Recon kit bag for hunting and team matches. IMHO, it has the perfect balance of holding your equipment and not being a full chest rig variant. The pistol pouch is where I keep my Leupold 10x binos and the pouch just in front of that has my LRF, watch, markers, extra laminated note cards, masking tape, etc., etc.,

On the front is where I keep 2x taco pouches off to the left side for mags. However, you could reduce that down and keep them in the first pouch with ease.

View attachment 7458340

VooDoo

Thats quite the aggressive sports bra