• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Chest Rig for Competition???

RackSqueezeBang

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2019
GA
Hey guys, I've been shooting a lot of two-man sniper team type competitions these days. Unlike PRS, the stage is blind and the targets are at unknown locations and unknown distances, so targets have to be found, ranged, DOPE'd and eliminated, vs PRS where the targets and stage are known. I find myself juggling a lot of gadgets during the COF that I normally wouldn't mess with in a PRS competition, such as binos, range finder, kestral, smart phone, and any pre-stage notes if the stage is super complex.

Right now, some items I simply do without or I have a bunch of crap dangling from my neck, which is really annoying. I keep my pistol on my right hip, and two 10rnd mags and a 9mm mag on my left hip. I also use a wrist coach as there's not enough time to input data in a ballistics calculator during COF. I can't really fit anymore stuff on my belt without getting in the way of my pack. Anyone use a chest rig for these type of competitions? If so, are you using a solid rig, or a split rig. If you're using a split rig, buckles or zippers? Or is the chest rig more headache and nuisance than what its worth?

when I do where a chest rig for long guns, I use the COMA harness from Tyr Tactical. It keeps the front slick for the prone stuff and gear off to the sides for access

Not cheap though.

Another option is something like the HSP Micro (D3CRM) chest rig. You can unclip the waist strap when you go prone and fold/push it forward (if it is too bulky to remain on the upper chest while prone), or toss it in front of you and work out of it as you go. Small enough to prevent you from overpacking it with stuff you don't need yet there's enough room to keep what you need accessible. There's the velcro on the very front that is good for slapping a Plexi board to for drawing out your range card and keeping it right in front as you're proned out (if you flipped it forward).

There's also the option of just working out of your pack and attaching a small dedicated admin-style pouch to the outside. I used to use the old school HSGI admin pouch/panel for this as sort of a grab and go field sketch/range card kit but it became too bulky for me. Regardless, it would be another option to test out. Approach the firing position, toss your pack next to you, pull the LRF, bins, range card/notepad/battleboard-type Plexi board w/ a dummy-corded all weather marker/wtf ever you're using to do up a range card, and boom, get to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: RackSqueezeBang
Check out Hill People Gear. I’ve been using this for a few years and love it.
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

+1 for Hill People gear. Great quality stuff. I bought it to carry a pistol while running. But have also used it for rifle training classes.

Any belt with MOLLE works for me. Couple mags on the left, Bino pouch at my 4 o clock, AG kestrel case clipped to a belt loop.

Bolt Bandit what you are doing is kind of what matches were like before PRS. I ran a SOTech belt with mags on it and a couple pouches for wind meter, mildot master, calculator, data cards etc. Much better than having something on your chest when trying to shoot different positions or prone. Yup tried both.

Tag for options. These are the two I am looking at.

I have a Haley micro, its minimalist. Flat enough prone is no problem. Has a couple add on options. Haley makes a couple larger ones also.

Similar to that is Spiritus. Its a build your own modular system with more options.

Some of the hunting gear companies also make nice Bino harnesses with extra pouches.
Like...

Attachments

• umrP6tsYgW1a.jpg
    umrP6tsYgW1a.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: Tallahassee
I run a Hill People Gear heavy recon kit bag with their bino pouch up front with a pistol/rifle taco on each side. Kilo 3000s in the bino pouch, Kestrel clipped inside the kit bag but normally in the right side taco, spare mag in the left taco. It's relatively bulky but I find it slides up ok to shoot prone. Pistol is on strong side of my belt, 2 other pistol/rifle tacos are on my weak side nd dump pouch on the back. Considering that most of the field matches I tend to shoot are shot more from tripods or some position other than prone, I'm ok with the tradeoff being that I prefer having my binos on my chest and like having my kestrel right there for super quick access. I use the same setup for hunting. If I thought the match was going to be heavy on the prone then I'd probably wear my battle belt that is setup similar to my other belt but also has a pouch for my binos behind my holster.

Not for PRS type matches, but for true field or team matches, I run a 5.11 vest with PALS webbing (mesh = breathable), and add the accessory pouches as needed for that particular match.

As far as the pouches and pockets, I prefer zippers over flaps with velcro. The flaps with velcro are faster, but not 100% secure, and you can loose stuff easily, especially when the velcro has dirt and debris imbedded in it. The only variations I use out side of zippered pouches, are the open top mag pouches for pistol and AR magazines that are secured with the tab and bungie cord.

Last edited:
Tag for options. These are the two I am looking at.

I have the FhF setup for my hunting binoculars. I've been extremely happy with it, and have no complaints. Another thing I like about the FhF, if you hunt, they have a setup to secure the pouch to your pack using your pac straps.

Reactions: blbennett1288