• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chest rig or war belt?

Re: Chest rig or war belt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sht4brnz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the HSGI belt and tacos.</div></div>

HSGI Tacos are nice but good lord, they're a PITA to attach with malice clips.

Unless your active duty and need to carry a big load of rifle mags and equipment around to help keep you alive, I'm not sure why anyone would opt for a vest but that's just my opinion. I see dudes at matches and classes all kitted up with vests with 100lbs of shit attached. Most of the time, they can barely move, much less shoot from unconventional positions.

War belts from SoTech, HSGI, Viking Tactics etc are great low profile ways to carry and, more importantly, move with your load. Customize them for your immediate needs and your all set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackHills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great thread, Anyone have experience with Beez Combat Systems rigs? Im looking at possibly picking up one of their Ak chest rigs http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/AK47-Chest-Rig-BCS-CR-AK47.htm

thanks</div></div>

I've not owned but heard good things, or should I say, no bad things.

I have both, and much prefer a belt. It's easier to just carry a couple rifle mags and pistol mags and whatever else you might need, and has it in a way I feel is easier to use than chest rig.

Here is an excellent thread over on Lightfighter that might give you guys some good ideas on vests, belts and equipment management.

hsgibelt_zps75d5124a.jpg

hsgi3_zps143157f2.jpg

hsgi2_zpsbdea4728.jpg

I personally like a belt, I use an ATS with 2 rifle, 2 pistol, a dump pouch and my pistol on it, I also have a PC, and I like being able to run the Belt with the PC. I agree with whomever said why not both though, as I want to get a split front chest rig to use eventually as well.

I for myself feel there is no one right answer for this or the chest rig versus PC debate, as they all have advantages and disadvantages.

Disclaimer, I use this only for range work, and for class work, and am not nor was I in the mil. just a civie take on this.

I guess it would really depend on how much gear you were trying to carry. Are you carrying 13 rifle mags, and 14 pistol mags, hydration bladder, frags, body armor / plate carrier? Or just a couple pistol mags, a knife and a pistol.

I have about 20 different rigs. My favorite is probably my mookie war rig. But that is for heavier loads. But modular rigs are nice when you want to own one or 2 rigs and change them according to what your carrying. The mookie war rig in the light version is nice for that. Something like the Mini chest rigs are nice for civilian types when you need like 4 mags and an admin pouch. That goes great with a padded pistol belt with 4 mags on the belt, IFAK, Knife, holster. Unless your planning on going on patrol through Afghanistan. Then you might want to take the Mookie war rig. lol. There are guys like John at SOE that will make you something if you know what you want. Warning, they are made top notch and aren't cheap. My current project is a custom Mookie light with some high speed improvements.

The straps on a chest rig usually get crossed so they don't bother packs straps. The mookie might be a little outside what most people would consider ok in price point...LMAO.

Heres a question for you guys. Im also back and forth between the HSGI belt and the TYR Coma. Im trying to figure out which one would allow me to carry my rifle with my Biathlon sling the best. Im worried that the buttstock will hang up on anything attached to the rear molle webbing on the HSGI belt. But im worried my Biathlon may hang up on the COMA's shoulder straps. Im interested to see what kind of setup you guys are using when using the Biathlon sling.

Does nobody carry water on their rack or belt anymore? This is directed at active duty folk. If your wearing a ruck then your bladder(x2 or3) is in the ruck. What if you ditch the ruck to pick up another gear? What are the alternatives? I was thinking of putting nalgenes on the rack. Anyone doing this? I've seen it done but not tried it myself.

It depends on what type of drills I plan on shooting. If its straight little prone running and gunning I use a chest rig. Huge fan of the HSGI warlord v-2 chest rig. If I have to stay prone for long period of time or need the bare essentials in ammo and gear war belt. Brokos belt with HSGI taco pouches. In the end its a preference thing.

Heres a question for you guys. Im also back and forth between the HSGI belt and the TYR Coma. Im trying to figure out which one would allow me to carry my rifle with my Biathlon sling the best. Im worried that the buttstock will hang up on anything attached to the rear molle webbing on the HSGI belt. But im worried my Biathlon may hang up on the COMA's shoulder straps. Im interested to see what kind of setup you guys are using when using the Biathlon sling.

The COMA shoulder straps are no different than the old LBE shoulder straps and we carried rucksacks and their shoulder straps over top of it no problem. I don't see there being a problem wih the COMA shoulder straps and the biathalon straps working together.

Does nobody carry water on their rack or belt anymore? This is directed at active duty folk. If your wearing a ruck then your bladder(x2 or3) is in the ruck. What if you ditch the ruck to pick up another gear? What are the alternatives? I was thinking of putting nalgenes on the rack. Anyone doing this? I've seen it done but not tried it myself.

I carry water(camelback bladder) in/on my COMA rig no problem. In the picture below, it goes inside the backpack or in a carrier if the backpack isn't attached. If I'm wearing just body armor I carry it on my back as seen in the 2nd picture below.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I got pissed off at the war belt because the more shit I needed the more it felt like a hula hoop. Them I got pissed at the chest rig as the more shit I carried the angrier my back got after a long ass day. Then I found the solution. I run the bfg splitminus up top and the hsgi war belt down low. It's all custom sewn to be one piece of ultralight gear. No running out of space. Stays lowpro.

Will post pics tonight.

My favorite belt is by far the VTAC Brokos belts. It lets me use the molle or the cobra belt that runs through it for mounting. I've recently ordered a blade-tech to replace the 333 kydex holster and added a mag pouch to the off hand side of the belt to help with mag changes when shooting off hand.

I would say go with a belt I have found it to be pretty fast and love mine. I have both a belt and a plate carrier they both serve their purpose but the belt would be what I would have if I could only have one.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

I've been shooting some sniper matches and 2 gun matches (bolt gun, hand gun). Ya pack in what you need and pack it back out with lots of hiking to different stages. I picked up a Skullmonkey vest with a removable 2 compartment backpack as well as a hydration pouch built into the vest. The vest has molle webbing so you can put on what ever you need. I also picked up a pouch that holds 3 ammo cards as well as a few mag holders. So far, it's worked out well for me. I'm not military or anything like the, just a shooter that love to compete....

Vests

For a light weight set up I really like the Apollo from Red Tac Gear. It's more like a belt with suspenders than a vest and I put my hydro on my back.