• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheytac Rifles --Inaccurate & the company does not support the rifle BE AWARE

CAP KEA AR15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2017
Just wanted to let the long distance shooting community of my terrible experience with CHeytac. Years ago I bought a Cheytac 408 M200 from them when they were in Arco, ID. The rifle shot great, hitting 12x20 steel at 2200 yards. Shortly after I got my rifle the company reportedly let everyone go and supposedly went bankrupt. I held on to the rifle hoping the company would come back. I did not hear anything about the company until 2-3 years ago, when I attended a sniper course in Blakely,GA at Legions. I saw several Cheytac banners and the staff told me that Cheytac was now based in Nashville, GA and were definitely in business.

I contacted them to see what was up with the company. I was told that they had a great plant in Nashville and after discussing the merits of the 408 vs the 375 I was talked into a barrel change to shoot the 375. I sent them my rifle for the work. I was also contacted by them about a new Cheytac XLD in 375 that was on sale. I purchased that rifle in December of 2015. I was told that the new rifles shot sub 1MOA.. I recieved my M 200 and the newXLD in early 2016. The M200 was a total wreck!

The bolt would not operate, the trigger would not operate and the barrel was loose. They also lost the NF 55x22 scope I sent them. I contacted them regarding these issues and was connected to the new CEO -- a Mr. Omanoff. He was testy regarding the issues I had with my M200, but after numerous emails and phone calls he told me to send the rifle to a premier gunsmith in Colorado, that he had contacted to do an inspection and repair. I sent the my M200 and because of the crappy work on my M200 I also send my new unshot 375 XLD for testing. A week or so after I shipped the rifles, I was contacted by Mr. Omanoff apologizing for the terrible condition of my M200 and told me they were working on correcting problems with there product and that all of the previous employees, who assembled the rifles, reamed barrels were let go.

I spoke with the gunsmith and asked him to test both rifles for function and accuracy. He sadly told me that the M200 had major issues and that the brand new 375 shot no better than 1.5-2.0 MOA. The gunsmith informed me that Mr. Omanoff had told other Cheytac owners to send their poor shooting rifles to them for correction. The rifles have been with the Colorado gunsmith for nearly a year and half, with no solution supplied by Cheytac. I was told that they were looking into a new reamer, new ammo, because the barrel work and ammo loading was not correct at the Nashville plant.

I again tried to contact Mr. Omanoff regarding these issues several times, but was unsuccessful. I later learned that the company had let Mr. Omanoff go and was under new management. They also relocated to South Carolina and the advertisement emails I receive informed me of the new management and commitment to correct problems. I have send them several emails about my rifles and a certified letter detailing my horrible experience and also send them copies of the emails from the previous CEO, Mr. Omanoff.

As of today, I have not received any correspondence, email or phone call!!! The company continues to market their rifles as the ultimate and accurate long distance rifle, but I assure you they don't. I have had other friends with rifles chambered in both 408 and 375 who have had great success, but those rifles were made by other companies besides Cheytac.

So to all the long distance shooters, be aware of getting anything from Cheytac. They rifles from the old company don't shoot and the company is not at all responsive to my correspondence and as of today have not supplied a solution to the gunsmith they told me to send the rifles too. IF you want a rifle chambered in 375 or 408 get one from someone else besides Cheytac. I have heard that Cadex, Mirage and Hill Country Rifles build an accurate 375 and 408---

When the rifles were built for them by EDM Arms they were nice rifles, and the only problem was the idjet selling the ammo. When they ruined the relationship where EDM built the rifle it is rumored to have become a shit show.

Last edited:
I was going to point out a couple mistakes you made, but then I thought you already know and that would be like kicking you in the balls when you are already down......all I can say is wow that sucks and I hope great things come your way in the future.

At least now we know the current cheytac is like the old cheytac. Man it sucked to deal with them back in the day!

First things first, get your rifles back from the guy in Colorado.
Search around here for gun smiths with a good reputation and contact them as to whether they are willing to undertake the work you require. Be prepared to pay them though as you will probably get no help from a company that has changed hands a couple of times. Your scope is gone, forget about it.
To expect sub MOA performance out of a rifle that is designed to engage material rather than people is somewhat over optimistic on your part but you are going to get no satisfaction from the company.

Search around here for gun smiths with a good reputation and contact them as to whether they are willing to undertake the work you require. Be prepared to pay them though as you will probably get no help from a company that has changed hands a couple of times. Your scope is gone, forget about it.
To expect sub MOA performance out of a rifle that is designed to engage material rather than people is somewhat over optimistic on your part but you are going to get no satisfaction from the company.

Well considering Cheytac claims the rifle is a Sub-moa rifle............and considering you are paying $12k for it.......it had better fucking be a sub-moa rifle

And regarding the scope......i dont know many people who will readily take a $2k loss like its nothing.......bur maybe you have deeper pockets than the rest of us

Reactions: AMGtuned
Well considering Cheytac claims the rifle is a Sub-moa rifle............and considering you are paying $12k for it.......it had better fucking be a sub-moa rifle

And regarding the scope......i dont know many people who will readily take a $2k loss like its nothing.......bur maybe you have deeper pockets than the rest of us

It may well be that when it was purchased, that claim existed. Since the entity from which it was purchased no longer exists, the OP has no legitimate claim.
Same deal with the scope.
My pockets are far from deep, I'm retired and basically live on Social Security.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that op hope it all works out for you

From what i understand EDM built the guns for them and after the break up they started making them on their own, that's probably where the quality went away. Apparently EDMS' shop was an actual business where CheyTac built their rifles in what looked like a garage... Not only that wasn't there some drama way back where CheyTac purposely said they sell less accurate rifles to civilians? Such bullshit. Maybe i'm getting it all wrong but CheyTac seems like a very shady company. I will likely never buy from them. The best M200 to own is the one that says EDM ARMS on the receiver.

I did a bit of digging and found that quote from CheyTacs website.
"The CheyTac M-200 changed the world of military sniper deployment and took on all competitors breaking the Best Group All Distance World's Record. Since that time consumers have wanted the M-200 but we at CheyTac Associates have a duty to those who serve and as such we never want our incredible technology to fall into the wrong hands. Therefore we developed the M-200 CIV to have the same look and feel of the Military version but in a package that keeps the extreme distance edge with the front line forces of the US and our allies. See the Press Release when we introduced the M-200 CIV."

Not sure if this has been proven to be real, but again very shady.

Who is the "Premeir" Gunsmith in CO that can't fix the rifle??

I don't mean to say anything bad about OP. It sucks if this is what happened to him. But this is his first post and he opened an account to start this thread. He's been shooting for years and still he's a new member, started an account this month. A bolt and trigger that would not "operate", a barrel that was loose and OP was still willing/able to shoot the rifle. OP can shoot 2200 yards but doesn't do a quality check before he shoots a massive cartridge? He sent the rifle back? With his $2k Nightforce scope, and they lost it? Please I need more info! I don't really care about CheyTac. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money. I can have a custom rifle built that shoots just as good for half the price. I hope OP can set me straight, but I have to post if something seems off.

I don't mean to say anything bad about OP. It sucks if this is what happened to him. But this is his first post and he opened an account to start this thread. He's been shooting for years and still he's a new member, started an account this month. A bolt and trigger that would not "operate", a barrel that was loose and OP was still willing/able to shoot the rifle. OP can shoot 2200 yards but doesn't do a quality check before he shoots a massive cartridge? He sent the rifle back? With his $2k Nightforce scope, and they lost it? Please I need more info! I don't really care about CheyTac. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money. I can have a custom rifle built that shoots just as good for half the price. I hope OP can set me straight, but I have to post if something seems off.

Not every shooter in America is on this forum, and everyone on here was a newcomer at one time. Why are you questioning the validity of his claim? Why would the OP make this up?

You arent too ahead of the OP with your 17 posts

Reactions: AMGtuned
This whole thing kind of seems shady to me. Granted, I'm not in the game for nearly as much money as most of the people here spend, so take that into account. If I were to send someone a rifle with a scope and they lose it, if I'm not sent an equal replacement very quickly I would be calling the cops. That is stealing and I would be prosecuting that to the fullest extent possible.

I totally get it, good gunsmiths are really busy and good work takes time. But a good gunsmith will also communicate when the work is expected to get done. If that schedule slips to the right, it should be communicated. If a person has my stuff for over a year, I would be asking for it back and look to get the work done elsewhere. If I don't get it back in a reasonable amount of time, again I would be calling the cops. There is some serious $$ wrapped up into the set up in the OP. I wouldn't be ok with that stuff just hanging out somewhere, but that's just me.

Quite a saga looking back at Cheytac, it's owners, and relocations over the years. The relationship with EDM, Lots of promises and lawsuits and questionable behavior. Best of luck to the OP.

I would be contacting lawyers to see what type of other lawsuits are against them. If nothing else, the cops. If it's what you claim, I would definitely be seeking legal recourse. Sorry for your troubles.

Ha! I read thos whole thing, not even looking at the dates. Shitty situation, too bad Marky Mark is not head of QC...... maybe they could sell a few more. (All sarcasm, never fired a cheytac anything, dont plan to)