• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Cheytac suppressor

Sigma

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 17, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Whats everyone running on their big boys?

I am picking up a 338-408 cheytac soon and also would like to get into the ELR game down the road (possibly 375/408 cheytac) so would like to hear of cans that can handle basically anything thrown at it and is good up to 416 cal.

I currently have a 338 silencerco harvester big bore that I bought initially to use on a custom 300 rum build I wanted to do (had a buddy with a 300 rum w/ a 30” bbl and same can and was a dream to shoot) but came across the opportunity to buy this 338 cheytac don’t feel comfortable trying the harvester on it. So the harvester bb will serve as primary duty on my 223 I suppose (I like the look of big cans anyways) 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyways the elite iron cans look nice, watched a yt vid of their “factory” and looked very impressive. So I was wondering what everyone else is using out there and also would love any input if you have experience with multiple cans and how they stacked up vs each other. Weight isn’t a concern of mine, quieter the better.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• A94B140A-4A9C-4C75-B816-70F0D0AC109A.jpeg
      A94B140A-4A9C-4C75-B816-70F0D0AC109A.jpeg
      433.5 KB · Views: 83
    Last edited:
    "if you have experience with multiple cans."
    I feel this...Don't you just love it when guys chime in saying XYZ can is their favorite/best-out-there, and also the only suppressor they own?

Looking forward to seeing what folks recommend for this application.

Reactions: Sigma
    Well I have a lot of cans but I think you'll find that most folks don't have a lot of the big bore shit like that. And if they do, they don't have many. I have an Elite Iron .338LM can I bought a few years back but don't have a .338 rifle yet (41f and all that shit). It's a well made 316SS tube with baffles and it's about a foot long and 1.75" wide I think. It uses a brake that reflexes about 2" so it only adds about 9". It looks like a performer.

But I also have a .50BMG can from Elite Iron and that one I have used. It's a fucking tank, Dale doesn't fart around. Baffles look like half inch steel plate. The brake is the same brake Harris uses (he makes 'em) and the can and brake both time to the rifle without the use of shims. Both have wrench flats per my requirement (he's a full custom shop too). You can't go wrong. Oh, and the cans only cost me about as much as typical high end 7.62 cans. SS is heavy, but I've never seen BMG cans that weren't. It's safe to figure a .408 or .416 can will be built to similar if not same specs and as far as THOSE caliber cans go, well, Elite is the only one I'm aware of that makes 'em and certainly the only one I know of I'd trust.

Don't expect the same kind of performance though, they serve a different function IME, with a BMG they basically work like big ass flash hiders and make it harder to tell where the shot came from or how far off the shooter is. It's still loud as fuck. Recoil is still like getting kicked in the shoulder. You still need ear pro, but you may be able to get away with only one pair vs. the usual plugs plus pro.

So Elite Iron is GTG, one I can safely say stay away from is AWC, if they're even still in business. OSS (?) made a reflex can, not sure I'd go that route. Barrett makes one now. Uh, AAC makes or made one. I'd also be wary of any QD BMG can but not sure about Cheytac. There's a reason the rifle below came with a threadover brake but they never made a can to fit it... Dale told me all about it. He won't blow smoke up your ass either, he's a good guy.

The can matches the rifle perfectly, how he does it I don't know, but they offer any color or combination of Cerakote.

Glad I got the .338 can out of the way, even if TBAC makes one now Elite should still be on your short list for large caliber cans (if you need a .338 can and need it lightweight, TBAC is the goto, if weight isn't a concern then Elite). Both are precision oriented suppressors FWIW, so that comes first. Both companies are top notch, best at their game and won't lie to you. I can rest at night sending you to either of them.

What's 4lbs? The whole rifle, can, scope and all is still lighter than most other .50's. And shorter too. Damn does this thing hit HARD:
    IMG_0863.JPG

Don't have the .338 yet... Was gonna go with a TRG42, may get something else now. Dale said he'd swap out my brake when I get around to it to whatever I need since it's still in the wrapper. That's cool of him to do and it saves me some cash. Now you mention .338-.408 and now I'm wondering what .338 options are out there... A BMG necked down to accomodate the longest .338 bullet made would be nice I think (but you'd probably wanna go ahead and get that in a quick change chassis and a few barrels up front, I can literally see the rifling going downrange in my mind).

Reactions: Dogtown and Sigma
    Well I have a lot of cans but I think you'll find that most folks don't have a lot of the big bore shit like that. And if they do, they don't have many. I have an Elite Iron .338LM can I bought a few years back but don't have a .338 rifle yet (41f and all that shit). It's a well made 316SS tube with baffles and it's about a foot long and 1.75" wide I think. It uses a brake that reflexes about 2" so it only adds about 9". It looks like a performer.

But I also have a .50BMG can from Elite Iron and that one I have used. It's a fucking tank, Dale doesn't fart around. Baffles look like half inch steel plate. The brake is the same brake Harris uses (he makes 'em) and the can and brake both time to the rifle without the use of shims. Both have wrench flats per my requirement (he's a full custom shop too). You can't go wrong. Oh, and the cans only cost me about as much as typical high end 7.62 cans. SS is heavy, but I've never seen BMG cans that weren't. It's safe to figure a .408 or .416 can will be built to similar if not same specs and as far as THOSE caliber cans go, well, Elite is the only one I'm aware of that makes 'em and certainly the only one I know of I'd trust.

Don't expect the same kind of performance though, they serve a different function IME, with a BMG they basically work like big ass flash hiders and make it harder to tell where the shot came from or how far off the shooter is. It's still loud as fuck. Recoil is still like getting kicked in the shoulder. You still need ear pro, but you may be able to get away with only one pair vs. the usual plugs plus pro.

So Elite Iron is GTG, one I can safely say stay away from is AWC, if they're even still in business. OSS (?) made a reflex can, not sure I'd go that route. Barrett makes one now. Uh, AAC makes or made one. I'd also be wary of any QD BMG can but not sure about Cheytac. There's a reason the rifle below came with a threadover brake but they never made a can to fit it... Dale told me all about it. He won't blow smoke up your ass either, he's a good guy.

The can matches the rifle perfectly, how he does it I don't know, but they offer any color or combination of Cerakote.

Glad I got the .338 can out of the way, even if TBAC makes one now Elite should still be on your short list for large caliber cans (if you need a .338 can and need it lightweight, TBAC is the goto, if weight isn't a concern then Elite). Both are precision oriented suppressors FWIW, so that comes first. Both companies are top notch, best at their game and won't lie to you. I can rest at night sending you to either of them.

What's 4lbs? The whole rifle, can, scope and all is still lighter than most other .50's. And shorter too. Damn does this thing hit HARD:
    View attachment 7394973

Don't have the .338 yet... Was gonna go with a TRG42, may get something else now. Dale said he'd swap out my brake when I get around to it to whatever I need since it's still in the wrapper. That's cool of him to do and it saves me some cash. Now you mention .338-.408 and now I'm wondering what .338 options are out there... A BMG necked down to accomodate the longest .338 bullet made would be nice I think (but you'd probably wanna go ahead and get that in a quick change chassis and a few barrels up front, I can literally see the rifling going downrange in my mind).

Thanks for the input, so far the elite iron can seems to be the best choice. The aac cyclops (not sure if comes in direct thread) I came across could look promising too (at roughly 15” long and 2.5”D its a a whopper of a can).

50BMG necked down to 338 you say? I like the way you think. The 338 cheytac i’m getting is used (was a personal gun of my smith), he had smk’s up to 3500 with h50bmg (found best accuracy around 3200 though) with a 34” bbl. Can’t help but think you could get 250’s damn near 4,000 if the envelope was pushed (hell of a varminting round).

Thanks for the input, so far the elite iron can seems to be the best choice. The aac cyclops (not sure if comes in direct thread) I came across could look promising too (at roughly 15” long and 2.5”D its a a whopper of a can).

50BMG necked down to 338 you say? I like the way you think. The 338 cheytac i’m getting is used (was a personal gun of my smith), he had smk’s up to 3500 with h50bmg (found best accuracy around 3200 though) with a 34” bbl. Can’t help but think you could get 250’s damn near 4,000 if the envelope was pushed (hell of a varminting round).

So I started a thread about that .338-.408 and they turned me onto another one, the .33XC. David Tubb's creation. I think I'm gonna go with it and I think you should reconsider if you haven't bought it yet and here's why:

Diminishing returns with .338-.408, .33XC is better optimized for performance
    Uses less powder
    Causes far less throat wear
    Uses small die (whatever you have now will work, they mention Dillon 550 but not sure about 650).
    Dies are affordable, $330 per set
    Petersen Brass, about the same cost as .338-.408 really at $115 per 50 pieces. I think you can form it yourself though, not sure.
    .338 actions and barrels
    Same 3150fps for 300gr. as .338-.408 and up to 3450fps for 250's.

IMO, this all adds up to make .338-.408 obsolete. I mean, it'll perform, just there's one that can do it easier and for less.

All of that combined pretty much concretes it for me. It's a .338LM on steroids that still fits in a .338LM package, which is critical for me. If I'm gonna tote weight, I'll just carry the BMG.

Back to cans.

I'd shy away from AAC. They have abysmal CS, Remington bought 'em out and it's better than it was but still not great. They inherited a LOT of problems. Their QD mount is the worst one on the market, if there happens to be one worse, well, that guy should just be shot. The cans themselves I have no complaint with, I have four of 'em, but the mounts just kill it. I've got that solved with mine (order ten mounts per rifle, so for me that was about 80 mounts, then send the 72 back that fit the worst, usually 1 in 10 will lock up just right). Sorry, but them's the breaks.

When it comes to Ti cans, I'd do a lot of homework. There was a thread on here some time back about Ti welds. To but it bluntly, TBAC is about the only one doing it right. Also these large bore cans experience HUGE blast pressure so I'd be sure to get one that has solid baffles securely welded into place. Now Dale is a metallurgist by profession, so there's that, if he says he can weld it I have no reason to believe he can't. I think he stepped into Ti but the 316SS stuff is where it's at with these big cans. Notice they're all about 4lbs., regardless of what they're made of?

Whats everyone running on their big boys?

I am picking up a 338-408 cheytac soon and also would like to get into the ELR game down the road (possibly 375/408 cheytac) so would like to hear of cans that can handle basically anything thrown at it and is good up to 416 cal.

I currently have a 338 silencerco harvester big bore that I bought initially to use on a custom 300 rum build I wanted to do (had a buddy with a 300 rum w/ a 30” bbl and same can and was a dream to shoot) but came across the opportunity to buy this 338 cheytac don’t feel comfortable trying the harvester on it. So the harvester bb will serve as primary duty on my 223 I suppose (I like the look of big cans anyways) 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyways the elite iron cans look nice, watched a yt vid of their “factory” and looked very impressive. So I was wondering what everyone else is using out there and also would love any input if you have experience with multiple cans and how they stacked up vs each other. Weight isn’t a concern of mine, quieter the better.

Thanks in advance!
    FWIW, Surefire announced new .375 & .408 cans at Shot. Haven't seen anything on them since. I like their 9mm Ti can I have but haven't tried any of their rifle suppressors.

I know of another company that might be putting together a 375ct can in the future with some really cool technology. Id love to say something more about them but i cant just yet. I will share it when I'm given the green light. Its cool as he'll on paper, hoping to see what it does in person.

Xdeano

Elite Iron is a joy to deal with. Can't say that about anybody else but TBAC, and I don't think they make a big can.