• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Tactical Stock Savage?

lencomatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
COS, CO
Are these stocks any good? I got a Savage I want to rebarrel and change the stock on and I really just don't need a Manners or McMillan for this one.

Re: Choate Tactical Stock Savage?

From what I have heard and read they are very heavy with a large palm swell. Other than that, they are very decent with a V block that does not necessarily have to be bedded to the action do to the self aligning V block. The stock takes very well to paint and the bipod adapter on the underside is well liked and works like a charm. I just ordered one through CDI Precision. Talk to J if your interested in a DBM (drop mag) he can inlet it to fit his bottom metal. Im pumped to get mine so I can finish my Savage 223AI build

My son's .308 Savage wears one. We really like it- heavy mother, but since it's a target rifle, that's a good thing...
Another recent thread on it, somewhere here...

Very, very heavy. Good stock, though it doesn't compare to Manners, McMillan, and Mcree.

I ordered mine from Jeff at CDI as well. I like mine really well. It is heavy but for the intended pupose of the rifle it works well for me.

I love mine. It's very well made and I bed them regardless of any type of aluminum type blocks they have inside. The grip is a tad bulky but regardless, it is still a very well made stock for the money. It is very easily modified to fit the shooter, which is a definite plus.

6637655697_685f93507e.jpg

6637652925_efabb68ddc.jpg

I've got the tatical,really like mine. True ..it's a little heavy,but for the money you can't beat it.
smile.gif

Recently put one on a savage LRP rifle. Don't think you can beat one for the price. They are heavier than an HS, the ergos aren't exactly as good as some others, but they gotta be dang near indestructable. Cheekweld works out just right with a stock pack and low rings.
The accurate-mag dbm required simple inletting and some longer screws from savage and had to remove a little material to allow the bolt to go down all the way.

IMG_20120113_123728.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They come with a stud that slides in the rail. </div></div>

Long as ya mentioned it...
We sometimes have a problem with that breaking loose and sliding. I put some blue loctite on the slide, but even torquing the hell out of the bipod screw that slide will still break loose sometimes. I've been thinking about drilling and tapping a hole through it to hold it in place.

Is there another trick to it?

they are good stocks, heavy with a large palm swell bht very sturdy! im running my custom savage 110LA 260rem in it. havent bedded it yet and i have run it out to 1200yds and has performed well in competitions. as far as the bipod goes i got an adapter from accu-shot and i run an atlas bipod on it. i will bed it eventually. i will say that it is a HEAVY stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do these have a swivel stud for a bipod or is it a rail?</div></div>

BT AFAR kit works great from what i've seen on the rail

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They come with a stud that slides in the rail. </div></div>
Long as ya mentioned it...
We sometimes have a problem with that breaking loose and sliding. I put some blue loctite on the slide, but even torquing the hell out of the bipod screw that slide will still break loose sometimes. I've been thinking about drilling and tapping a hole through it to hold it in place.
Is there another trick to it? </div></div>

I drilled thru my slide into the rail and put the smallest diameter aluminum rivet that I had in there, it never budged until I wanted it out. 2 raps with a hammer and the rivet sheared off clean. It's that easy.

Well I didn't get any "Run far away from this stock!" so I think I'll have to get one. Thanks guys.

I had a choate tactical on my SPS tac. It was a really decent stock, I liked the rail for the bipod as I had another rifle with the varmint stock on it and it made swapping the bipod a breeze.

FWIW, you can buy one of the older bipod adapters for about 9 bucks. They have a thumbscrew to secure them. They are longer, so you lose some of the adjustment range.

The tactical is not as heavy as the ultimate varmint or sniper stock. It has a full length aluminum block that goes to the tip of the stock and sling swivels on both sides of the stock.
While there are certainly higher quality stocks out there, to get all of the features on the tactical you would be shelling out some serious scratch.

My 110 3006AI is wearing one. The palm swell might be a little big for some, but it fits my meaty hand great, and places the pad of my trigger finger dead on square to the trigger. They are heavy, but I ain't toting it deer hunting either. Got mine from Brownells on a special order. right at $200 shipping included ( dealer discount). Put a couple hundred down the tube as is, bedded it and saw ZERO difference in accuracy.
Going to order another for my new Model10 build in 7mm'08.

I've shot a couple of thousand rds thru 3 Choate stocked guns in the last tree months,[2-Tactical's and a Ultimate Varmint],I don't feel under stocked at all.I shoot 200 thru a 1000 yds at steel.