• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Choke Tube Tap

TapoutSniper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
North Carolina
I'm considering the idea of cutting down the barrel on my 870. The actual cutting and cleanup, refinishing, will not be an issue. My question is regarding re-tapping the shortened barrel for choke tubes. The only reamer and tap I have found will cost as much or more than a new barrel. Is there cheaper alternative?

Re: Choke Tube Tap

there is a guy out of Massachusettes I think it is that does a chop and ream for under 40 bucks I think it is.

www.shotgunworld.com and you can fint him I forget his name but look in the gunsmithing section

Re: Choke Tube Tap

Just because you cut the barrel down doesn’t mean you can install choke tubes. You will need to determine the wall thickness at the area of the cut to see if choke tubes can even be installed. There are cutters for thin wall choke tubes but they’re not as popular.

If you're not sure, send it out.