• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cholesterol too Low Bad Side Effects

Unsichtbar

Online Training Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2008
Texas
Cholesterol too Low Bad Side Effects

Well dropping weight and size (primal way of eating), exercise some supplements etc. Total Cholesterol 119 Dr and everyone says great!!! I was depressed not the Blues I mean in the dirt depression but it felt like something was driving in not (environment, money all the usual factors). So I got to doing research and found that there is quite a bit of documentation that when cholesterol drops to around Total 120 depression follows.
I was taking a cholesterol medication which my doctor discontinued to raise my level and I began to feel somewhat better.
Hate to admit to being to being in a hole, doesn’t matter what the numbers say if you feel like garbage but thought it might help someone out.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-...logical-effects

“published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research with little attention from the press and essentially no reaction from my colleagues. The simple study followed nearly 4,500 US veterans for 15 years. At the end of the study the researchers found that men with low total cholesterol levels and depression were 7 times more likely to die prematurely from unnatural causes such as suicide and accidents than the other men in the study!”

Re: Cholesterol too Low Bad Side Effects

That number is pretty low but mine is close to that but my HDL is pretty high (LDL 77 , HDL 49) , never had an "depressions" untill lately but that due to being laid up from an inury and bills!!
Very intersting read

i know when i do no carb diets where protein is vast part of calories (500g protein , 80-90g fat) im very very easly agitated , hyper agressive almost and i was told this was due to the very high protein and no carbs.

So their is no doubt that what we eat and what out body produces has an effect on our mind

Thanks for the reply, yep anger and aggressive behavior is the other part of it ( which some say is depression), which I did not focus on, sure sounds like my experience. Injury and the job thing would not help that at all.

Does not apply to you but while looking into this people that take Statins really have issues, some bad stuff there. I have read your post on nutrition/exercise and you have a wealth of knowledge more than I do ( FYI I have a degree in Microbiology.

You might try kicking the cholesterol up a bit, the effects are felt in short order.

Low HDL cholesterol, aggression and altered central serotonergic activity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10725526

my cholesterol is low due to the amount of cholesterol I take in from my food from quality eggs and quality beef fats. Also I take some natural statins from CoQ-10 and Red Yeast Rice extract as well as 10-16g omega 3 caps

My mood improves DRAMATICLY as soon as I add in a little carbs , only 75-100g a day causes an instant improvement like as soon the meal is over

I have had mine out of of wack as bad LDL-189 , HDL-6!! I felt pretty Crappy at that time but more to just poor health than anything

Men with low cholesterol generally have low testosterone, and when test levels are low, you will feel as you described.

Did your Dr. have you on a statin? If so COQ10 will help get your energy back up a bit.

I have never had much luck with Dr's, but I see a Hollistic Practioner who has really helped keep my body healthy. He actually looks at what may be causing the problem rather than giving you a med to cover up or deal with the problem.

You could try to eat more natural cholesterol in your diet, but just by controlling your blood sugar (eating every 3 hours) and strength training 3-4 days/week, you can start to support your natural testosterone levels. In addition drinking enough water, getting plenty of quality sleep, and keeping body fat under control will all help with test levels and therefore overall mood.

Not sure if you're looking for advice, but just thought I would throw it out there...

The testosterone levels were in the normal range. I am tryin to eat more " good carbs" I was taking statin at that time as well as COQ10, rest of of the diet "grass finished, beef, chickens and eggs, primal diet kind of program.

Cholesterol up in 140 range things a little better, thanks for the suggestions I am going to try eating every 3 hrs and see what happens.