• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes choosing between two scopes.. Cronus BTR and Bushnell HDMR ii...

btstrohfus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2017
I found a really good deal on a cronus btr on here, but was told to look at the bushnell hdmr ii scope as well before i choose.. from your personal experience which of these scopes offer the best glass, build quality, and features.. i dont know what the hide price is on a hdmr ii, but i imagine they are close in price to one another..

If you are a seller for bushnell i would like a price on the 3.5x21-50 horus, thanks...

Some of the best scopes I've had as far as just getting the job done was the old HDMR's. I didn't need to send any of them back and they tracked well. Glass was not bad but not great either, I'll just say that it was acceptable and that's all.

The HDMR2, I never owned one but looked through a few, seemed fine??? By that time I had gone up to S&B and sold the HDMR's so I skipped over the mid range scopes.

I run S&B and a Cronus BTR. The Cronus BTR is a fairly large step up from those old HDMR's nad I think you'd have to get into the new version with better glass to equal the Cronus in that regard but the 29x and daylight bright illume + 25Y focus make the Cronus stand out.

The Cronus is an exceptional scope for its price. To me, the glass is the same as a Vortex razor gen II.
i had a Bushnell LRTSi and didn't care for it, but others seem to like the scopes.

I have a Athlon Cronus ,never looked thru that specific scope Bushnell you mentioned but I have a 4200 and 6500 Elites and Athlon puts them to shame. I have a Zeiss V6 and its glass is a slight bit better than the Athlon Cronus.

My Cronus looks clearer at 29 than my DMRII did at 21. For the same price, the Cronus is a no brainer. Both tracked well, I only had one of each. I have a non-BTR Cronus.

I've been very happy with my 4.5-29x56 Cronus BTR!

Excellent glass, crisp image through entire zoom range, well designed illuminated mil reticle, and perfect tracking. What's not to like?

Reactions: steve123
Glass is super bright and super clear. It's very RELAXING to be behind. I put it at 4.5x right next to my vortex viper pst 1-4x at 4x and it was a night and day difference. I've owned Nightforce, US Optics, Vortex Viper and Razor, IOR Valdada and such in the past. I never gave too much thought to glass quality until I got this scope. There is a significant difference. is it worth it? That's up to you.

Reactions: Tunnuh and steve123
I'm not a Horus guy, and I don't care for the non-Horus reticle. That alone leads me away from the Bushnell option towards the Cronus (or Vortex, Sig, - insert random mid tier LOW scope)

I'm not a Horus guy, and I don't care for the non-Horus reticle. That alone leads me away from the Bushnell option towards the Cronus (or Vortex, Sig, - insert random mid tier LOW scope)
The HMDR 2 comes with H59 reticle.

I haven't looked through the Bushy but I love my Cronus. I have the original version which I got for $1000 and just found another original one for $900 used. I love both of them and I don't mind the thicker reticle as compared to the newer BTR. I don't see myself wanting anything more as far as glass quality.

Glass is super bright and super clear. It's very RELAXING to be behind. I put it at 4.5x right next to my vortex viper pst 1-4x at 4x and it was a night and day difference. I've owned Nightforce, US Optics, Vortex Viper and Razor, IOR Valdada and such in the past. I never gave too much thought to glass quality until I got this scope. There is a significant difference. is it worth it? That's up to you.
So, you're surprised that a scope with a 56mm objective is brighter than one with a 24mm objective? besides the fact that you are comparing an entry level optic like the old PST to a mid-level optic that costs more than twice as much.