• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Choosing caliber for suppressed pistol

JayLeto

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
St. Amant, La
I'm in the market for a new home defense/range pistol. Was leaning towards a 9mm over a 45. It seems like the 9mm would be much quieter. Of course I'll be using sub-sonic ammo when shooting suppressed.

For just the "wow" quiet factor, which would be better?

Jay

Re: Choosing caliber for suppressed pistol

You should watch the silencer co video on their site where they test 9mm, 40, & 45 all in a 45 can. Very hard to justify not buying the 45 can and enjoying it on as many toys as possible. You can also use them on rifles with subsonic loads.

Actually most 9mm and .45 shoot subsonic normally. Just get the silencerco osprey .45 or aac's ti-rant .45 cans and a 9mm piston. Then you can shoot both rounds through one can.

So a 45 can really be as quiet as a 9mm subsonic??

That's not what I was expecting to hear.

Jay.

I heard the silencerco 45 osprey on a glock 19 9mm. Using the 147 grain loads the can was very impressive dry. Wet I could actually distinguish the sound of the slide. Using standard 115 grain ball ammo, it had a little snap to it due to the bullet going supersonic. I did not get a chance to hear .45 acp through the can. For pure wow factor, I would go with the 9mm and 147 grain loads. Get the 45 osprey so you can suppress a 45 down the road. The 45 osprey is going to be my next big purchase to go on a glock 19 and a Spingfield MC Operator.

I run a TiRant 45 on a Nighthawk AAC 1911 in .45 ACP. I also have an Osprey .40 I run on a Glock 22.

Noise is just not an issue. Sure the .40 is quieter, but a .45 is a beast. And I always shoot dry with no problems. Sound of dinging steel is the loudest.

If you're in it to simply have the quietest caliber, get yourself a Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions threaded bbl and Spectre .22 can. Subsonic .22 is the most fun shooting out there when suppressed. Sound of the round hitting a tree is the loudest.

Edit: to really hit your point, the "wow factor" is there w/them all but best w/.22. No special ammo for .45.

And like I said you can always step it down to a smaller caliber.

Big advice is to really know the route you want to go as far as weapon platform. Am expensive 1911 with a drop-in threaded barrel is no good IMO. That's why I dropped the coin for the Nighthawk that came custom fit for a threaded barrel.

Glock w/drop-in is fine. I have used KKM and Storm Lake barrels. Both are great.

And check the threading for sure. I made that mistake once and had to drop an extra $75 for a piston.

If you go .45 you can always get pistons to step down to smaller calipers.

Thanks for the replies.

I do currently own a Sig 1911-22 with a threaded barrel. Just waiting on the ATF to clear me on my AAC 22 Suppressor, and my TBAC Titanium 338 Suppressor for my 338 whisper rifle build.

Since I'm in the market for a pistol, I wanted plan ahead since it will likely end up with a suppressor at some point. I love the *Wow* quiet factor, so I really think I'll end up with a 9mm Pistol to keep things very quiet while playing around the house.

Jay

45 is the easiest to suppress because all ammo is naturally subsonic due to its weight.

40 cal is going still be pretty snappy and they have a lot of blow back.

9mm is easy to shoot subsonic because its subsonic with 147gr ammo.

22 is the cheapest route on ammo, you can shoot 500 rounds for 15 bucks and its the most impressive to spectators because of its availability to run most commercial subsonic ammo.

The beauty of the .45 is that is natuarlly subsonic. So a 230gr at 950fps with a suppressor will still impact with over 400ft lbs of energy....Hell yea! If it were a vote....I go .45 all day long. The .22 is more for fun and/or ultimate stealth.

My first suppressor was an Osprey 9mm. It sits on my G17. Since I got it I also acquired a G21SF. Now I wish I would have gotten the Osprey 45...

That one will have to wait until I decide how best to suppress my my 77/22. (And wait another 6 months for the ATF to decide it's OK for me to own it...)

I would suggest a .45 caliber pistol and the .45 Osprey. You can run it on smaller calibers if you want with it still having good suppression.

If you do not have a .22 suppressor, I would go that route first. Suppressed .22's are incredibly quiet and nearly everyone can afford to send a bunch of .22 down range.

I like the .45s, the full power 45 is usually in the subsonic ranges. 9mm can be supersonic and 147 grain 9mm should be sub sonic.
just something to think about

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do not have a .22 suppressor, I would go that route first. Suppressed .22's are incredibly quiet and nearly everyone can afford to send a bunch of .22 down range. </div></div>

I totally agree! A .22 is nearly hearing safe already, suppressed out of my GSG 1911...I think my kids airsoft gun is louder!

On the Wow factor it's probably a toss up. The .45 is pretty cool because it is a larger bullet, but the 9mm cans are more efficient dry.

I would say 9mm probably has more utility given nearly no need for wet charges on the best in class cans like the Octane 9 and Tirant 9.

The .45ACP side of the house is a wet can game, and they do well wet, of course wet is a little less convenient (recharging every 10-20 rounds).

Some people do 40caliber or .45 cans with other pistons for the 9mm. This will cause some reduction in sound performance, but will give you greater safety from strikes as well as the capability for the greater caliber.

These super high performance cans have tighter bores than ever before often with some apertures .035" or less over bullet diameter, so that may be a reasonable concern.

Liberty suppressors showed a Sig factory barrel with ~.06" of total included runout on their youtube channel. That's the kind of consideration that makes that case.

I run a Sig p226 9mm with gemtech tundra and that thing is quiet! Put it up against my boss's hk 45 with a gemtech and mine was considerably quieter.

My bad, I assumed you meant center fire. .22 can be super and sub with as little as ammo selection. Just less effective for some uses.

One more thought - a good 9mm can makes for a pretty reasonable .22 can, whereas a .22 through a great .45 can is still a hotdog down a hallway - it is loud.

IMHO a good 9mm can and a .30 mag can are the two most practical cans of all.

Good luck

I do know that I wish I would have chosen a .45 suppressor for my first pistol can...for the exact same reason I chose a .30 suppressor for my first rifle can.

I would be willing to accept the loss of a couple db, to be able to run it on a second or third caliber. Especially since I'm considering a .45 Glock upper.