• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Chopping barrel from 26 to 22 inches

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
I shoot a 6.5x47L, I do shoot suppressed now all the time. I will be using rifle for hunting and recreational shooting out to 1000 yards. I do not compete anymore. I shoot 123 grn Scenars. So, my question is would I be better off using a 140 grain bullet or 130 grain bullet with a shorter barrel?

Like Oregun said, you’ll have to try it, but my guess is that for the 1000 yd shooting you will be better off with a higher BC 130gn bullet. A good 140gn bullet will also likely outperform the 123 scenar as well, but the shorter barrel might not get quite enough speed for the 140 to outperform the 130. But you really won’t know until you try it.

Last edited:
Most likely the 123s actually if you want less drop but you will give up some wind vs a 140 but do yourself a favor and just cut it back to 16 and thank me later

Most likely the 123s actually if you want less drop but you will give up some wind vs a 140 but do yourself a favor and just cut it back to 16 and thank me later
All right Huskydriver now you have my curiosity up please explain that comment about a 16" barrel

All right Huskydriver now you have my curiosity up please explain that comment about a 16" barrel
Run the drop between a 140 going 2700ish +-25 at 22 vs 2550 at 16" tell me if that extra 6" of barrel is worth it.... Guarantee your dropping a lb off the rifle too more than likely

A lot depends on your priorities for using the gun. The shorter barrel is great for hunting out to maybe 500yards or so, but you loose a lot when shooting targets at 1000yds. The same is true on bullet choice - the flatter trajectory of the 123gn bullets is great for hunting with unknown or quickly estimated distances, but the higher BCs will make the wind calls easier at 1000yards.

A lot depends on your priorities for using the gun. The shorter barrel is great for hunting out to maybe 500yards or so, but you loose a lot when shooting targets at 1000yds. The same is true on bullet choice - the flatter trajectory of the 123gn bullets is great for hunting with unknown or quickly estimated distances, but the higher BCs will make the wind calls easier at 1000yards.

Define alot lol?

Statistically speaking your hit probability will be best with the 140, 130 then 123. I don't remember the exact numbers off hand but it wasn't drastic. That was for an exact known distance, if you start factoring in things like poor ranges and increases on recoil from the larger bullets its probably a wash. Pick the bullet you want to shoot and call it good!

Can't go wrong cutting a 47 to 22" if your using varget, 4350 you will lose quite a bit though. Going to 16" is another story. You definitely lose some velovity and consistency in my opinion, but it does make for a lot handier setup.

This creates the part of reloading that is so much fun (to me). Chop to 16 if you're running a can all the time, shake up of your powders to get as much juice and little blast as possible. Keep us posted.