• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms MPR .300 inaccuracies. Rude customer service and lousy manufacturing.

BGoodwin

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
I want to start off by saying I am no rookie when it comes to long guns. I'm no competitive shooter, but I know more than a thing or two about guns. My family has had an FFL for years. I have way more precision rifles in 6.5, .308, .300, .22-250 than is reasonable. I routinely shoot "long distance" at Marine Base Quantico on the Marine Corps Shooting Team Club's 1000 yard ranges. Im highly educated and I know when I don't know what Im doing. I will always admit when I dont know what I dont know; but occasionally it's something else. This situation is something else... Ive never had an issue like this with any rifle I own from any manufacturer.

Around Christmas, I bought an MPR in .300 Win Mag with the 26 inch carbon fiber barrel. I mounted a Razor ii in a Spuhr unimount. Picture of the gun below.

I proceeded to take it to my local indoor range to zero the rifle and chrono loads before taking it out to my outdoor thousand. CAs recommends a "barrel break in" that is completely ridiculous. Check it out on their website. I forwent any break in as its <nonsense> (this will become relevant later) and began attempting to zero my rifle. I spend two hours shooting Hornady 178 ELD Match. At 100 my first group completely covered edge to edge of a standard ST-4. Like truly thought something was broken. Such a large group it wasn't even measurable. Due to this, I brought in my target to 50 with a fresh target and began again, hoping to get a group closer and figure out what was going on. I allowed for about a 10 minute break. At 50, I would be able to get a 3 or 4 round group in a roughly 4 inch group (still so unacceptable) and then I'd get a unpredictable POI shift from 4 to 10! inches. And would be completely back to square one attempting to figure out what the hell was going on. I mean I still hadn't even gotten a rough zero. After 5 strings the groups were so open I had trouble identifying which shot was from which string on the 4 quadrants of my ST-4. This continued for TWO HOURS with different lengths of time to cool the barrel, putting up fresh targets, readjusting my rear bag (at one point I started questioning my sanity and if I even knew how to shoot), and trying every thing I could think of. I'd readjust my Razor ii zero and what do you know, if it wouldn't jump halfway across the paper again. I ended up giving in after two hours of chasing zero and way way way too many rounds of .300 match ammo... Nowhere closer to having any resemblance of a zero. I should have saved the targets but I was so pissed I didn't think about grabbing them. Sorry.

It's heat soak guys... It's heat soak... Like all these reports of heat issues with CA barrels are completely true. I DEFENDED CA against these rumors when I first got this gun. How wrong I was... The occurrence of POI shift would roughly correspond to the length of time between strings. However, no POI shift was ever the same and never returned to a previous zero. It was not consistent either and I'd experience groups and group shifts from 4 inches to over 10 inches. And before anyone suggest I don't know how to mount a scope... I checked all rail screws with a inlb torque wrench. I mounted the Spuhr and Razor using manufacture specs, using rosin on the interior of the rings and triple checking all torque readings. Unless my brand new Razor ii has a SERIOUS problem (which we all know is extremely unlikely) then its most likely the gun. Also the fact the POI shift would change relative to round count and periods of rest is really indicative of bad barrel deficiencies.

I called Christensen Arms and received a rude reception. The guy on the other end started off by condescendingly asking if I hadn't followed their break in. That I should have followed their break in. IMO CA having this policy on their website is just an out to allow them to brush off defects on to the owner. It's well known that modern barrels see ZERO improvements with break in. Tolerance and modern milling means there is no need for a "break in" anymore. When I walked the rep through my barn sized groupings and insane wandering zero, the CA representative was entirely dismissive and LAUGHED saying "well yeah this happens to all guns when they heat up". Like yeah thanks for that wisdom guy. Like thats basic physics, pretty sure its called the thermodynamics... Obviously hot barrels have a POI shift. But a shift AND spread of 4 -10 inches at 100 yards for a $2,300!!!! rifle is absolutely bat shit insane... like insane. The CA rep then proceeded to tell me that using 178s was also the problem and that 200grs would shrink it to sub MOA. like... no words... Obviously certain guns don't run certain pills well, but at a 100 yards, you cant tell me a different grain is going to fix a 10! inch shift and a group I can't even measure. After talking for 10 minutes the rep begrudgingly offered me to send in my rifle under warranty but I was so pissed I said I'd call him back if/when I decide to do so.

I have defended CA's, before I even shot this rifle, in this. They have a stellar reputation. They have won precision gun of the year. Always sold out online. I was THRILLED to pick up this rifle and told everyone this was to be my lifetime precision gun. I don't make a ton of money. It took months and months of saving to be able to purchase this rifle. For $2,400 this thing should be resilient and reliable. Obviously guns have a POI shift but it should be at least be repeatable or make some sense. And it sure as shit shouldn't be a 10in shift at a 100 yards in a .300 made to shoot at a thousand. If I could sell this monstrosity and buy an MPA, or hell even another budget ass plastic ass Savage (I <3 my savage, no offense to you) Id do it in an instant. But truly I wouldn't even be able to bring myself to dump this garbage off on someone else. Many people may have good experience with CA but it isn't worth the risk of getting one of these lemons.

I went from defending Christensen Arms, to urging people to never buy one of these rifles. What the hell Christensen Arms...

Attachments

• 2wp61co969a41.jpg
    2wp61co969a41.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 1,073
I have way more precision rifles in 6.5, .308, .300, .22-250 than is reasonable.

I don't make a ton of money. It took months and months of saving to be able to purchase this rifle. For $2,400 this thing should be resilient and reliable.

So much wrong with your thread. 2nd post and it’s to shit on a rifle everyone already knows is trash.

personally I found this ironic. So many rifles yet $2300 took you months and months to save up.

F2919DEE-E900-423E-A6F6-CBBCB3379449.gif

"the rep begrudgingly offered me to send in my rifle under warranty"

I'm just curious about the thought process of not going this route?

I would think for 99% of 'highly educated' people who have a vast array of precision rifles such as yourself, they would have immediately chosen this sensible option...

So much wrong with your thread. 2nd post and it’s to shit on a rifle everyone already knows is trash.

personally I found this ironic. So many rifles yet $2300 took you months and months to save up.

View attachment 7311317
? no not wrong. I moved and got a new job and my income changed. I also have a lot of rifles passed down from my family. Me having a lot of guns does not mean I didnt have to save for a $2,300 gun...

That's sad that you are not happy with the rifle. I have a CA traverse in 7mm and it shots awesome. I did find however that it does not shoot Hornady Ammo very good at all I don't know what it is. Does seem like you should send it back to them if you are not happy.

I would suggest trying it with a proven scope just to rule out the possibility that your new scope isn't the problem, as unlikely as that may be. No need to put dozens of rounds through it, just one 5 shot group will be difinitive. If the problem persists, send it back and give them the chance to make it right.

Where I raise question is you saying the POI is changing and not returning, aside from the barrel loosening, thats not indicative of a barrel issue. That suggests it's more than likely and optic or mount issue. Are you sure you checked the base screws, mount screws, and cap screws? Did you confirm this optic on another rifle afterwards or run another known good optic on this rifle?

No dog in this fight. But I would do as above and test it again with a known optic while rechecking all mounting screws.

However if it is indeed the rifle, they have said they would take it back and check it out.

Reactions: moosemeat
the guy needs to vent, why people want to criticize for that is beyond me. I really wanted to like the MPR, but after reading the thread on this forum there is no way I could.
there's a difference between venting and this thread. wouldn't be the first one of those threads we've seen either

there's a difference between venting and this thread. wouldn't be the first one of those threads we've seen either
I don't blame the guy though, to spend that much money and to have CS basically laugh at you is messed up. id put them on blast too.

Reactions: Bender
Agree with Redneckbmxer. Check it with a differnt scope. Also try differnt ammo. I has a sako that wouldn't shoot most factory ammo smaller than 6". Remingtom cheap ammo (it was a 30-06 hunting rifle) would go .75 MOA. Hand loaded 190 MK would go half for 1 5 shot group.
Send it back. I'm not defending them cause the problems have been heard to often, but they will most likely make it right.
Also, if you where on their team defending them why not do their barrel brake in? I mean they recommend it and you liked them before you ever got one of their rifles...

Reactions: Tater Salad
the guy needs to vent, why people want to criticize for that is beyond me. I really wanted to like the MPR, but after reading the thread on this forum there is no way I could.

Hi,

Here are a few reasons why the criticism comes in....

1. We have seen it time and time again when someone comes in here putting manufacturers, vendors, etc "On Blast" only to find out the person or a separate piece of equipment was the problem completely.

2. We have seen it time and time again when someone comes here complaining about how they were treated by abx Customer Service to only find out they were heavily redacting their part of it.

3. Notice the OP opening statement was about how much knowledge he has of firearms. So it doesn't matter what any Customer Support was going to say to him he was going to take it as they are acting like they know more than him. Customer Support was in a no win situation with him and that is ok because that is their job.

At the end of the day the Customer support said they would take the rifle back to look at it right???

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Here are a few reasons why the criticism comes in....

1. We have seen it time and time again when someone comes in here putting manufacturers, vendors, etc "On Blast" only to find out the person or a separate piece of equipment was the problem completely.

2. We have seen it time and time again when someone comes here complaining about how they were treated by abx Customer Service to only find out they were heavily redacting their part of it.

3. Notice the OP opening statement was about how much knowledge he has of firearms. So it doesn't matter what any Customer Support was going to say to him he was going to take it as they are acting like they know more than him. Customer Support was in a no win situation with him and that is ok because that is their job.

At the end of the day the Customer support said they would take the rifle back to look at it right???

Sincerely,
Theis
I get your point, but given the track record of Christensen and their MPR it should come as no surprise to hear more complaints about the same exact problems that others have written about. What I dislike is when people are quick to dismiss someone with low post counts. A low post count on one forum only means the person likely doesnt understand the dynamic of that particular forum, not that they don't understand how forums work or that they have no level of knowledge/skill on a particular topic.

Reactions: Bender
I get your point, but given the track record of Christensen and their MPR it should come as no surprise to hear more complaints about the same exact problems that others have written about. What I dislike is when people are quick to dismiss someone with low post counts. A low post count on one forum only means the person likely doesnt understand the dynamic of that particular forum, not that they don't understand how forums work or that they have no level of knowledge/skill on a particular topic.
the OP is the reason i don't go to public shooting ranges. because that's who is there. 'handed down precision rifles' yeah...that's not really a thing especially when you start saying .300 and 22-250. they correct everyone because they are god's gift to firearms. and they will damn tell you that you don't need a bipod rear bag NF scope blah blah blah over and over

Reactions: hic28
.300 Win Mag has a tendency to loosen up shit. I always properly torque my mounts to spec and my chassis. but without lock tight, after a few boxes of shells its loose again. I would check the VORTEX and SPUHR first. Worst case scenario is to send it back for warranty repair at no cost. Their customer service has always treated me good so dont know whats that about, maybe its the coronavirus cabin fever.....or maybe you started the conversations dickishly. I wasn't there so who knows. I have several highend weapons and the only one I have never had a single issue with is my old reliable Remington 742 woodsmaster.... with that being said, quality is not what it used to be, however give their team a chance to fix it before blasting them. I always save my blast off Ape Shit review until after I receive the gun back from the company and assure the issue was or was not fixed. We all understand your frustration in paying good money and expecting a product to perform. I do certain stuff for a living and have had $20,000 + Rigs fail in battle when I needed that bitch to kill. Anyhow, shit happens bro give them a chance to unfuk themselves and if they dont unfukit blaze em.

if a 300 winmag is loosening up your spuhr with proper torque you're doing something way wrong

I just bought a Mesa lr in 300 prc with the steel barrel and was hitting small steel targets at 500 meters while I was braking in the barrel. I’ll admit I skipped some of the cleaning steps after about 10 rounds and no copper showing. The gun had definitely been test fired for moa. I would have put it away thinking something wrong a lot sooner. I was watching a guy at the range a while back having similar problems. He never got a round in paper at a 100 yards after 2 boxes of ammo.I didn’t say anything and tried not to be obvious I was checking his targets but it was such a dam good looking rifle. I think men put way too much pride into shooting. It should be fun and always something to learn

Also, how much time do you have behind a light weight 300wm? I have a friend who claimed his custom 300wm didnt shoot. I showed up to help with load development and started knocking out half inch groups. This was in a 13# rifle. Most of his trigger time was on 6.5 creed, 223 and a 308 gasser. NOT saying that's your problem. Just asking. Hell most people cant keep my 300 wsm featherweight on a pizza box after the first round off the bench.

• Haha
Reactions: Badfinger
I’m guessing something was definitely wrong, either scope or gun. I just don’t understand why anybody would keep firing. I don’t think there’s very many new center fire guns being made these days that won’t shoot moa or something is wrong. And ya, with the super light craze, I bet most manufacturers are getting pretty tired of phone calls saying it has to be the gun

Hi,

Is anyone still asking themselves why some of the replies this OP received were geared more towards criticizing HIM instead of the company????

Notice the gun guru has not been back here to see any comments/suggestions/referrals as to what could be the reason(s) he is having the firearm issues he is supposedly having!!

Because there is no way in his mind that it is anything else because...well...you get my point, lol.
He did not post for assistance because....well....he doesn't need/want it in his mind.

Sincerely,
Theis

I'd like to see the OP come back and tell us what else he tried to resolve the issue. IE scope, bullets, user etc. I own a Christensen and it shoots 1/2 MOA all day long.

"He did not post for assistance because....well....he doesn't need/want it in his mind."

^Exactly this. OP doesn't have the bandwidth to deal with ONE CS rep he spoke with who may be snarky but still offered to take the rifle in "under warranty."

I've seen a lot of small penises in my profession. Pretty sure we know what we're dealing with here.

Guys,

he is just busy shooting with marines. HIS FAMILY HAS FFL! This FFL status instantly bestows all knowledge of guns to the holder. This is how Fudds Reproduce.

I recently purchased a BA Tactical in .300 win mag and have had problems with it not grouping under 2 MOA let alone 1. Thus far it has been sent back once to be rebarrelled and is being sent back a second time. While this is far from ideal, I have found their customer service to be polite and helpful. I spoke to Cade today and was assured that the rifle will be tested before being sent back and will be sent in 3 weeks. Given that it was only sent out last week, this isn't to bad of a turnaround. They have assured me that they will be sending back targets after testing and the type of ammunition they used. Again far from ideal but the customer service I received was exemplary.