• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms Ranger 22

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    I'm curious if anyone has the Christensen Arms Ranger 22 and what do you think of it?

It looks like it hasn’t sold well among SH members.

Iv heard mixed reviews for the money I’d stay away unless you looking for a light weight hunter.

I have been curious about this too. I have been looking for a rifle to shoot in production class at PRS22 matches and that is one of the rifles I have been considering. I know they had a lot of issues with the early runs of them, but from the reviews it seems they figured out the issues and were taking care of the people that had them. I have yet to see one in person so I have not grabbed one yet, but I am hoping I come across one sometime soon.

Sorry I can’t weigh in on the 22 but I had a slight amount of play at the folding joint on my MPR. They emailed an RMA and shipping label within a couple hours of me sending an email and I had the gun back in two weeks from that date. Also they put a new barrel and bolt without me even knowing there was an issue. It shot sub MOA and had approx 600 rds 6.5 PRC down it. They said it “wasn’t to their quality standards”. Hard to beat that.

The LGS has these in stock for a little less than $800. I probably would have got one for walking around in the woods and hunting squirrels. However, I already did a major make-over on the Ruger American Rimfire that was into the four-figure mark.

I like how the RAR turned out but the barrel isn't threaded. The Christensen Arms barrel is tempting because I can put a suppressor on it and it takes the Ruger magazines which I have. The Triggertech trigger is a nice addition.

I wish they had a 20 MOA rail on it.

The LGS has these in stock for a little less than $800. I probably would have got one for walking around in the woods and hunting squirrels. However, I already did a major make-over on the Ruger American Rimfire that was into the four-figure mark.

I like how the RAR turned out but the barrel isn't threaded. The Christensen Arms barrel is tempting because I can put a suppressor on it and it takes the Ruger magazines which I have. The Triggertech trigger is a nice addition.

I wish they had a 20 MOA rail on it.
    Not a CA but mine is a tack driver at 50 yd and CCI A17 ammo. Same hole over and over again off a bench. Threaded fluted barrel, with a Sparrow and light scope, it weighs hardly anything. Easy to carry around all day.

Not a CA but mine is a tack driver at 50 yd and CCI A17 ammo. Same hole over and over again off a bench. Threaded fluted barrel, with a Sparrow and light scope, it weighs hardly anything. Easy to carry around all day.

I got a Savage B22 and did a major makeover on it. I shoot CCI 45 grain suppressor rounds out of it. It's not as accurate as my RWS ammo but all you hear is a click and the "plop" downrange.

During warmer weather the worse groups hover at a little over 1/2" at 50 yards. The cold weather we've had lately really opens it up.

I haven't weighed it but it's a good guess that it probably weighs almost twice as much as the CA.

Savage B22 A.jpg

Reactions: db2000
    I found some discussion here on SH about the rifle:

Here is some discussion on other forums and articles:

This gentleman has produced a couple of videos on the Ranger and seems to like it; albeit with ejection problems.

It looks like he sent to the factory and got it back.

Reactions: GoggledIt
    I handled one at the LGS. They had two and the action was super rough feeling.
    I felt it an it was bone dry. I told the dude behind the counter that they might sell them if they lubed them but it felt rougher than my father in laws old savage

love the idea but poor execution.

maybe they should have partnered up with Ruger to put some of their barrels on a River American in a Target stock.

I just got to handle a new one a friend just bought. Super rough and sloppy fitting bolt. He's having about 30% FTF with good ammo. Very lazy ejection with some that don't clear. He's a very upset customer.

I can only speak to mine, I did the barrel break in procedures yesterday. Then launched another 50 rounds just to get some rounds through it. I couldn't be happier with it. My bolt is not super rough or sloppy. Zero ejection issues in the first 100 rounds. Way more accurate than my Ruger Precision Rimfire, which will probably never get shot again being 3x heavier than the Ranger. Is it a bench rest gun? Could be but I think it is better suited as a backpack gun, if you carry a rifle in the field just to have a rifle. The CA Ranger will be replacing my Ruger 10/22 afield as well.

Attachments

• File_000(1).png
      File_000(1).png
      1.2 MB · Views: 261
    • File_000.png
      File_000.png
      2.3 MB · Views: 156
    Reactions: Frankr
    Would be way money ahead buying a cz 457 or tikka t1x. Carbon fiber barrels can be had for both rifles. And you souldnt be much over the cost of a ranger. Much better action and trigger on both of the above mentioned rifles.

Reactions: Adam B
    I have 2 of them, one I bought new and unfired one I bought from a friend, who is having health issues, one is black with gray flecks, one is tan with black flecks. Both of mine have been flawless in shooting, the bolt on the black one was very rough, after about 500 rounds, it’s not butter smooth, but it very livable, the tan one was a lot smoother out of the box, not as smooth as my RPRF, but better than the black one. Mine are both set up for a open/iron sight league.

Reactions: Kickin45
    I have 2 of them, one I bought new and unfired one I bought from a friend, who is having health issues, one is black with gray flecks, one is tan with black flecks. Both of mine have been flawless in shooting, the bolt on the black one was very rough, after about 500 rounds, it’s not butter smooth, but it very livable, the tan one was a lot smoother out of the box, not as smooth as my RPRF, but better than the black one. Mine are both set up for a open/iron sight league.

What sights are you using? Pictures please!

The front sight is a Mossberg tactical shotgun sight, that clamps directly to the bull barrel

the rear sight is a M1 style peep sight, that clamps on the picatinney rail

rear sight upc #4717385550674
    front sight upc #4727385550476

the front sight is adjustable for height, the rear sight is adjustable for height and windage.

are they perfect, probably not, but they work real well for me.

B3B6E3F1-6CDB-4B72-9B6B-34EE35D7902E.jpeg
    A6AB23EB-CBAF-4274-8C3C-51C6D67EF090.jpeg
    81F49B25-FE6A-4C9D-80A3-B6C01D4346CD.jpeg

Sounds like the actions are hit and miss for fit and finish. But this was almost a year ago. Has CA’s QC on this rifle improved?

Sounds like the actions are hit and miss for fit and finish. But this was almost a year ago. Has CA’s QC on this rifle improved?
    Bought mine a year ago, and it's been perfect. 👍🏼

My two month old Ranger is a pile of junk. Doesn’t eject 90% of the time, fit is shoddy. Many of these that we sell come back with complaints of ejection and accuracy issues. Two have come back with bolts that broke in half. Both of those had the bolts replaced by Christensen, and both were nearly impossible to cycle as “repaired.”

CA, across their entire line, is absolutely hit or miss on quality control. I will never suggest one to a customer in good conscience. Some work fine, others are useless. We’ve had multiple ARs come into the shop with things like barrel nuts having never been tightened, barrels that are FIRMLY seated against the inside/side of the handguards, etc. Their centerfire bolt guns tend to have fewer issues that I’d call “major and unacceptable,” but they’re certainly not immune to QC oversights either.

I tell customers every single day, the only thing you’re buying with Christensen is weight savings.

My two month old Ranger is a pile of junk. Doesn’t eject 90% of the time, fit is shoddy. Many of these that we sell come back with complaints of ejection and accuracy issues. Two have come back with bolts that broke in half. Both of those had the bolts replaced by Christensen, and both were nearly impossible to cycle as “repaired.”

CA, across their entire line, is absolutely hit or miss on quality control. I will never suggest one to a customer in good conscience. Some work fine, others are useless. We’ve had multiple ARs come into the shop with things like barrel nuts having never been tightened, barrels that are FIRMLY seated against the inside/side of the handguards, etc. Their centerfire bolt guns tend to have fewer issues that I’d call “major and unacceptable,” but they’re certainly not immune to QC oversights either.

I tell customers every single day, the only thing you’re buying with Christensen is weight savings.
    The used rifle rack at the local Scheel’s is about 70% CA

Reactions: Appalachian
    I got a Savage B22 and did a major makeover on it. I shoot CCI 45 grain suppressor rounds out of it. It's not as accurate as my RWS ammo but all you hear is a click and the "plop" downrange.

During warmer weather the worse groups hover at a little over 1/2" at 50 yards. The cold weather we've had lately really opens it up.

I haven't weighed it but it's a good guess that it probably weighs almost twice as much as the CA.

View attachment 7574196
    What is this stock? I like it too much. I want one.

I like the way they feel but my club runs a BR match for factory repeaters and the CA was just not competitive in that event. CZ, Tikka rule that roost and not much else. High end guns like VuDoo, Anschutz fall into a higher category.

Reactions: Appalachian
    Mine is very accurate. I've shot mine out to 478 yards on a 15x36-inch plate with no problems. Although I had some ejection at first, Christensen fixed my ejection problem and sent me a tee shirt and hat back with the gun. It is a shooter sub moa out to 125 yards with Eley subsonic hollow point and CCI standard. I feel quality control could be hit or miss though. It is nice that it takes rugger 10/22 mags and the trigger tech trigger breaks right at 2 pounds for me. They now sell 20 40 and 60 moa pic rails. I would recommend them but I think CZ 457 would be a better option, especially with the after-market availability.

Second broken bolt handle I’ve seen firsthand now. Shooter at match was not happy as he stated this will be the third trip back to christiansen for warranty work.
    IMG_2874.jpeg

• Wow
    Reactions: Big Phish
    Second broken bolt handle I’ve seen firsthand now. Shooter at match was not happy as he stated this will be the third trip back to christiansen for warranty work. View attachment 8210455
    Please tell me he's not dumb enough to send the whole gun back to CA over a bolt handle that can be replaced in a matter of minutes by hand... At the very least, just send them the bolt and not the whole gun. 🤦🏼 Or contact the @christensenarms customer service, and have them ship him out a new bolt handle and knob. It literally takes 5 minutes to swap the bolt handles out, and can be done without any tools, other than a punch to push a dowel pin out.

Mine broke several years back, so I emailed CS that night, and I had a new bolt handle within a couple of days, and swapped it myself. Having never disassembled the Ranger bolt before I took my time to learn how it's designed, so it took maybe 10-15 minutes tops for disassembly and reassembly.

Reactions: Big Phish
    I spent a good bit of time with the Ranger, T1X and CZ side by side when I was buying a new rifle this spring. The Tikka and CZ are both notably better in durability, fit and function.

For anyone thinking of buying the Ranger, be sure to check them out in person first. It’s hard to tell in pictures how fragile the entire bolt is.

I can only speak to mine, I did the barrel break in procedures yesterday. Then launched another 50 rounds just to get some rounds through it. I couldn't be happier with it. My bolt is not super rough or sloppy. Zero ejection issues in the first 100 rounds. Way more accurate than my Ruger Precision Rimfire, which will probably never get shot again being 3x heavier than the Ranger. Is it a bench rest gun? Could be but I think it is better suited as a backpack gun, if you carry a rifle in the field just to have a rifle. The CA Ranger will be replacing my Ruger 10/22 afield as well.
    I know I'm almost 2 yrs out on this but I bought a Ranger new two months ago. I have put every high dollar match ammo through it that I can find, and I cannot get it to shoot any tighter than 1.25" at 50 yards. Did the barrel break in as described, but it just won't group. I've had other folks shoot it to make sure it isn't me; same results. However, I have a CZ 457 Jaguar that will shoot .4" groups at 50 with just about any ammo you feed it. Very frustrating.

Last edited:

I bought a Ranger two months ago and am having serious accuracy issues. Should have gone with another CZ.

Please feel free to reach out to me here and I can see what we can do to get you taken care of.

Very respectfully,
    Jimmy

I got one not too long after they had come out. Had my gun store prepare to speed dial me when they finally got one in. I really liked the weight of the gun and also thought it was a very nice looking gun. The feel of the gun was very nice as well. Mine had the ejection issues they were known for as I found out after purchase. I wondered why they would let it get out to customers knowing these issues still existed without it first being addressed. I sent it back and after a number of weeks and some phone calls got it back. The ejections would occur but the bolt was still somewhat hard to close, wasn't smooth and cycling just didn't feel right. I sold it quickly after getting it back for a substantial loss to the gun store I bought it from. I was disappointed with the money I spent.

Now that all being said and being as fair as I can be about all this, the gun shot lights out. Easily .3's and many groups around 1/4" @ 50. Very few 22lr I have had shot that good and that consistently good out of the box. It was just frustrating to shoot. There was some confusion on the repair part. I was told things a couple of times about when they would have it back to me. It didn't happen. I was agitated. What did happen was when I got the right person on the phone, I found out that one of the guys who dealt with the problems had a heart attack and was out. Also, they were waiting on some parts to come in and didn't have what they needed to fix the gun. From that point forward, they did what they said they were going to do and met promises of getting it back to me when they said they would. Also, not once did I ever call, and I called a number of times, did I not get excellent super nice folks on the phone. They were awesome.

I'd love to own another Ranger that works great but I won't take that risk after losing several hundred dollars on that last one. But because of the honesty and kindness I got from the organization after getting the right person on the phone, I would be willing to take that risk on them again in the future, just not on the Ranger and I mostly buy rimfires.

I know I'm almost 2 yrs out on this but I bought a Ranger new two months ago. I have put every high dollar match ammo through it that I can find, and I cannot get it to shoot any tighter than 1.25" at 50 yards. Did the barrel break in as described, but it just won't group. I've had other folks shoot it to make sure it isn't me; same results. However, I have a CZ 457 Jaguar that will shoot .4" groups at 100 with just about any ammo you feed it. Very frustrating.
    A CZ that will shoot .4” groups at 100 yards with……. Nevermind I call BS. I’m a CZ fanboy too.

Reactions: shootrj2003
    So, I spoke with someone from CA named Jimmy on the phone, and he made the repair process speech sound so simple. My Ranger will not shoot a group to save it's life. Now it is a week later and I cannot get any of these people to answer an email or phone call. Every time I call, I get dropped out of the wait and told to just leave a message. Seriously wish I would have just gone with another CZ.

Mine was very accurate out of the box and incredibly light with good balance for a light gun. The action on mine was rough at first but is getting better. I had no ejection issues on my gun as some have had but the injection of the ammo was rough to say the least. The receiver and barrel wiggle in the stock when you put pressure on it. The gun should not shoot as good as it does. I have kept mine for now but just to be honest I think there are better options for a $800 22lr.

Reactions: Reaper77
    So, I spoke with someone from CA named Jimmy on the phone, and he made the repair process speech sound so simple. My Ranger will not shoot a group to save it's life. Now it is a week later and I cannot get any of these people to answer an email or phone call. Every time I call, I get dropped out of the wait and told to just leave a message. Seriously wish I would have just gone with another CZ.
    If you call or email the customer service line or email you go directly into a queue to be worked on in order that issues are received. If you would like to speak to me directly you can send me a direct message here and I will get it direct and respond to you. Also if you direct message me here I would provide you with my direct line, which for obvious reasons I will not post up here publicly, If you would like to return the firearm so we can take a look at it and see what is going on, just fill out the following link and we will get that brought in.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Very respectfully,
    Jimmy

If you call or email the customer service line or email you go directly into a queue to be worked on in order that issues are received. If you would like to speak to me directly you can send me a direct message here and I will get it direct and respond to you. Also if you direct message me here I would provide you with my direct line, which for obvious reasons I will not post up here publicly, If you would like to return the firearm so we can take a look at it and see what is going on, just fill out the following link and we will get that brought in.

Very respectfully,
    Jimmy
    Jimmy, I sent in the request last Tuesday just after we spoke. I finally got someone on the phone, and she said it must have just been missed, she assured me the shipping label would go out today.

Jimmy, I sent in the request last Tuesday just after we spoke. I finally got someone on the phone, and she said it must have just been missed, she assured me the shipping label would go out today.
    Awesome, let me know if that doesn't happen. We have gone through a lot of changes over the course of the last 2 weeks and we finally have a full team here and getting emails and calls done. But we have a world-class team now that wants to take care of any issue a customer may have so they are on it and will be flying through any work that was missed or left over from those 2 weeks.

Very respectfully,
    Jimmy

did everything get resolved? I’ve been thinking of getting one.
    thanks